Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 x64? Because I have a copy of the server 08 thanks to the Microsoft DreamSpark program. And was wondering if I should use that instead of my current windows 7 x64.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Someone was looking for you btw, on guru3d the other day for some reason. (related to a game i believe)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I'm even registered to that forum lol.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
yeah, it was in regards to a game you modded or patched or something? :\

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've been to the site for RivaTuner, and I've checked out the forums. Idk if I registered there though lol. I tried to log in but idk the information for it either.
I just registered there now lol. Idk why somone would ask a question of a account name that isn't registered at the forum.

Edit: if nobody is able to find benchmarks, cuz I also checked, which do you think should be better in speed all around in theory? Like startup times, gaming, applications.I know I'm gonna have to disable a lot of the servers services.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohhh. Someone asked me about those codes I made on snesorama too. But that was awhile ago... Happy to know that I'm still being credited for them. Haven't made codes in like 4years, I don't even remember anything about that game lol.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
as to your question,

the Server is setup for stability, it has most of the hardware acceleration disabled, where DX is concerned, and more of the server services enabled.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I know this is a different version of windows, but wasn't Server 2003 better with gaming then XP? Or maybe that was just something false that I saw. I googled for some benchmarks, surprisingly I can;t find any for it. Probably for its price... Any college or high school students, get a hold of a school email and contact microsoft dreamspark.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
That was a one off thing due to the Kernels being different versions / revisions.

The server versions of NT6 aren't much better than the Home user versions.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. Well I don't know much about the difference in Windows operating systems, and your very smart so I'll take your word for it. But it doesn't seem like too many people have actually tried it. Probably because its like 1000$ lol. well ill try it out then. Hopefully have some results this week. I will only test emulator speeds tho. I don't use those benchmarking programs, although I think I do have one that came with my video card. What would be the best way to test the differences? I won't be able to really test startup times due to I will be using 2 different hard drives.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Benchmarking can be done using Sisoftware SANDRA, or PCMark Vantage

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok. I have myself a copy of PC Mark Vantage all ready that I don't use.I'll use that then when testing them. Probably won't be until Thursday or Friday.

Well at first boot the server 08 starts off with 503-504mb pf usage, and 27 or 28 processes. this is only letting it sit a minute or so tho. Idk if it lowers after so many minutes. But sitting here on google chrome, its running my CPU usage to 50%... idk why, possibly I need to install dual-core optimizer. It's different looking, I liked the Windows 7 gui, but I think if speeds are eve the same or if server 08 is little slower, i think I should still use it as im taking classes to become a network engineer.

windows 7 - cpu = 26120, gpu = 8960
server 08 - cpu = 22613, gpu = 8262

server 08 is fresh install too... was hoping it would be closer then that lol. Well I guess I'm gonna do a fresh install of Windows 7 then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.