Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a good trial run with linux and I have to say, I'm impressed. It was just about what I expected but not quite. Everything is code based and there is 1/10th of the software available for windows that is available for it.

I'd say right now, that no OS is really superior to the other because they all have practical uses. If you're running servers, recovering passwords and torrenting from local libraries or just being an OS trickster(like me) then linux is pretty useful. If you're into doing everything especially graphic design and word documents with no possible "no" from your PC then mac might be your best bet.

However... Windows, no matter what windows but any modern windows seems to be the most compatible OS in existence; Vista or XP. The thing is that I don't understand why people seem to like to compare them all as if they are comparable, because they really aren't. Would anyone in their right mind think of going MAC if they intend on using high-grade hardware, drivers and mainstream games? Hell no, unless they are either die-hard-fans or just hate Microsoft that much for whatever reason, ego or otherwise.

There are people like this and I don't understand why. Why so much Microsoft hate? I do really think we could take it down to ego and stubbornness. Would you really take the hard-rout and try 4 hours to run high-end games on linux just to prove a point or spend 30 minutes installing Crysis, Steam or really anything entertaining on Windows and instantly have a blast?

In my world, I don't see why dual-booting can't become a standard; maybe not for the causal user but for people who really either can't decide or would rather do some things on this OS and some things on that OS. Why argue over what's better when nothing is better, only different?

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
People do not like difference.

Linux itself is an (new) experience, not an OS. Even accoutumance to Windows comes from being preinstalled in computers. The Asus eePC/eeBox/OLPC garnered positive feedback over their interesting way to introduce people to something different, but being preinstalled on computers will be the only way for linux to go really mainstream (being limited to geeky crowds and those aware of linux wouldnt do). And unless these machines come cheaper than the equivalent machine loaded with a Windows OS, why bother ?

One day, 2 rigs were found (for a big OEM) that had the exact same hardware, yet the one loaded with the free ubuntu was priced the same as the one loaded with an XP OS.

Cashing in on the Linux buzzword and charging extra to give people the honor to have a free OS?

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
I read somewhere that when the EEEPc was luanched, Linux was the main OS. But when XP was offered it, sales jumped by 150% and 90% of all units were shipped with XP. Seems the novelty wore off quite fast.

And interverse i agree with you about the subject of Microsoft hate. One of my female coworkers picked a fight with me because i have Vista, and she got into a loooong argument with me how her $3,000 mac was better then mine. I tore her up, and the only thing that she said at the end of the debate was "Well my computer never gets viriuses, and I can run Final Cut"

"O rly?? Well some elements of Photoshop CS4 are Vista exclusive, and if you give me your email address I can have your machine crippled by a virus in less then 5 minutes."

her last answer: "Well apple gave me a FREE ipod with my purchase!!!!"

you got me on that one honey.

Owned

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
I like Linux, but honestly, I can't even connect to Verizon on it. Is it possible? maybe, but Verizon has no instructions on how to do it to my knowledge.

It seems to be a PIA to install hardware in Ubuntu and many programs are source, forcing you to compile them. Do gamers want to compile games or play them?

And since Linux is open source and there's no DRM, gaming companies don't want to create games for Linux.

I still want to learn how to use Linux, but I can see why casual gamers wouldn't like it or Apple, where you pay 2X the cost for the same hardware on a PC. Yeah, I like wasting money, NOT! ;)

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
Hmm, I wonder how they stop piracy, I'm sure Steam isn't open source?

Thanks for the heads up...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts