Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that WLM NEVER works for me! In XP, the installation ALWAYS fails at 33%, before that with v8, the installer refused to let me install without downloading like 200MB worth of Windows updates, and now, with Windows 7, it returns the aforementioned error the very second I hit "Sign In".

Before anyone says, yes I did try both of these supposed fixes, but they failed to do anything:

To resolve this issue, try the following:

Reregister the Msxml3.dll file, wait a few minutes, and then try to sign in to Messenger again.

Show me how

In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

— or —

In Windows Vista, click Start, click in the Start Search box, and then type command prompt. Under Programs, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
2. Type %windir%\system32\regsvr32 %windir%\system32\msxml3.dll, and then press ENTER.
3. Type exit, and then press ENTER.

If you still can't sign in to Messenger, reinstall the XML Parser, wait a few minutes, and then try to sign in to Messenger again.

Show me how
1. Visit the Microsoft download website for XML Parser.
2. In the section for msxml3.msi, click Download, and then choose to save the file to your computer.
3. Locate the Msxml3.msi file on your computer, and then double-click it.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions.
3. If you still can't sign in to Messenger, restart Messenger, and then try to sign in again.
I know there are alternatives, but WLM has more eye-candy and a more flashy UI so I want to use it :(

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
MSN also refuses to work for me these days although I think you have a different problem, I simply can't sign in.
Anyways aMSN is definitely an acceptable alternative.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o_O It looks good.....up until now the only MSN-like IM client I knew of was Emesene, and its UI is very unattractive.

Didn't like Pidgin, Trillian or Miranda either.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
o_O It looks good.....up until now the only MSN-like IM client I knew of was Emesene, and its UI is very unattractive.

Didn't like Pidgin, Trillian or Miranda either.
Yeah, same here.

trillian astra is great
It certainly does look good, gonna check it out now.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aMSN does the trick.

Now then, how do I get WLM out of my PC? It isn't showing up in add/remove programs and there isn't an uninstall exe in the install directory either :/ Now I'm gonna have to delete the folder and search and remove the registries/system files it creates.

Way to go M$, you made a 25MB piece of bloated s**t that doesn't run, and is a pain in the arse to remove when 7MB alternatives run flawlessly.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Ah, I just remember what my problem with Trillian was, it does not auto-reconnect to the net when I get disconnected it just sits there disconnected...I hope Astra fixes that, if not it's back to aMSN I go.

Edit: Unplugged my ADSL cable for a couple of minutes and Astra did nothing....I tried to type a message...and only a minute or so later it noticed I am offline and changes me to offline...so I plug my cable back in...and it does nothing despite still have my instruction to do a global reconnect if I end up disconnected from everything...so I want to close it as it failed the test...and it just hangs there and then crashes...no thanks I am sticking to aMSN...although it too is missing a function or two...at least it knows enough to reconnect if I have been disconnected...the way ever other program that uses the net aside from Trillian does.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Gamefreak I think like in xp you go to add remove windows components.

Also if your error is just that simple file, what kept you for doing a little google search and downloading it.

Another thing, did you download the latest updates and framework?

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just said in the OP that none of those fixes work.

And Win7 already has Framework v3.5.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
trillian sucks, i refuse to speak to anyone who uses it because i usually can't read their text.

aMsn on the other hand. is better.

Gamefreak, there is a 140MB ALL package that includes everytrhing for WL, if you get that and install only messenger it should work.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I can't just have the messenger and need to install all that other stuff which I won't even open once? lol I'm just gonna stick to aMSN.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
you don't have to. Msgstuff has links to the individual msi files.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.