Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to install a x64 version of Windows 7 (build 7077), and it's a total slowpoke!
So far, it's spent an hour and a half just "gathering files, settings, and programs", being at 40% now.
Am upgrading from my x64 installation of Vista Ultimate btw, in case you're interested.
If I remember correctly, it took me max an hour to fully install both Windows7 (x86 - build 7000) and locate the drivers for my (soon to be) 4 year old laptop, running a 5400rpm drive, and 1gb ram ;o

Now, my pc (10k rpm Raptor, Athlon64 6000+dualcore, 4gb ram) takes ages just to get past the initial screen!
Yes, I am running the installation in Windows, as it wouldn't start the upgrade when I booted up from the disk.

I'm wondering if I should stay up to finalize the installation before I go to bed (need to wake up in like 8 and a half hours so I can get to work), or do part of it tomorrow before I go to work, or finish it when I'm done (7hour day).
Meh, I'll give it another half hour, then I'm off.

Basically I have 3 questions:

1) How long did the installation take for you guys?

2) What could be the reason why my pc takes ages, while my vastly inferior laptop didn't?

3) W7 is supposed to be a big step up in efficiency from Vista. Will my games perform better in W7 than in Vista? (think CS: Source and newer games)

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*doh* didn't think of that. On my laptop I did a clean install (well, sort of clean, installed it on the same partition as my XP installation, then removed that XP installation after W7 had finished... W7 didn't give me an option to format the drive;o ) Wasn't exactly an upgrade, in that sense of the word.

The motherboard drivers was updated about a month ago, for my M2N32-SLI Deluxe

·
Registered
233 Posts
i personally would just do a dual boot /or tri-boot. U can partition or shrink parts of your HD and then install windows 7 on oe of the free partitions. It works very well because win7 lets you choose a older OS or boot into (vista/different partition) or (win xp/different partition as well). I 've personally installed OS like crazy from 98 to Win 7 through this month on various computers. Windows 7 is faster than Vista, but is way slower than XP SP3 for gaming.Even though DX10 is vista/ win 7, XP fares pretty well with just DX 9. I know that Win 7 will be eventuall moving towards DX 11,and that is great. BUT!, it's going to cost a pretty penny for the DX11 Grfx card.So, in conclusion
i would say if you ONLY have a DX9 card stay with WIN XP SP3. Vista on the other hand is a PURE BETA even in RETAIL VERSION to me (non-bashing VISTA users).It's filled with garbage that looks amazing but fails to function like a smooth PC OS like XP. XP has its BSOD moments too , and security risks as well, but for gaming its perfectly smooth and fast for PC GAMES or EMULATION. If you have a DX10 card move to WIN 7 RC 1 and upgrade your computer way past recommended specs, because those recommended specs are not really what i call " BEAST SPECS" for a enjoyable experience in WIN 7.
AERO in Win 7 relies on a powerful graphics card as well as (DX10/ also in emulation of PCSX2).

Right now untill i can get my dual core PC fixed , im using Windows 7 RC 1 on a dell dimension 2400 with intel 845 integrated grfx( sucky integrated graphics chip). 640 mb DDR ram, and 2 IDE HD's, and a Celeron 2.2 ghz single core processor. The PC for install took awhile i;ll say bout 40~50 minutes @ Cd drive , but when i installed RC 1 on Virtual drive it was around about 35 minutes or so. So installing it @ virtual drive is faster becuuase it doesnt have to read the info from a DVD(which is slower)THAN A ide OR sata DRIVE. I cut Hardware acceleration off for directx, because my videos when i played them my computer freezed because my 845 intel chip is not a WDDM driver(win7 standard). So.....now my video works.I also set my computer to be performance based, so it cut off all the unnessesary stuff like win7 theme and other stuff,now it looks like win98 but slightly upgraded.Also my processes was at 44 , but when i told the pc to run in performance mode it was now running 36 processes(yeah more memory for me to use ^_^. But.....IT's a tad slow anyways good enuff for watching movies and browsing the web and watching youtube(no-HD though).

ABOVE AVERAGE GAMING/ EMULATION WITH SPEED IN MIND WITH ONLY DX9 = WIN XP SP3

PURE PC GAMING HD WITH MARVELOUS GRAPHICS with DX9 /DX10 = WIN 7 RC 1

PURE AGONY AND HEADACHES with everything = VISTA (any make)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
what i mean is during the upgrade from vista to win7, win 7 has to use your vista drivers which it might not like such as your ide and sata drivers which in turn cause slow read and writing speeds with your hdds

also note that vista as of late hasnt caused any headaches at all and infact some games run better in vista than in xp

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Hmm....I also experiences some slow-downs while installing Windows 7 x64 (Build 7100 RC). For example, after initially loading the files and booting up, it would take literally 10 minutes for the first dialogue box asking for languages to appear. Before that, the CPU and DVD drive would just sit idle! But once it appeared, installation went VERY fast, like from then on, it completed on my 7200 RPM HDD in just 30 minutes or less oO

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Gamefreak, make sure the floppy disk controller isn't enabled, if you don't have a connected floppy drive. i had similar issues on my temp system installing XP/Windows 7

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello
i have a problem installing windows 7 rc (from microsoft site)
after the instaliion first restarting windows 7 in the first time it's say: windows stating and after that i have a black screen! nothing!
i don't kn

hello!
i installed windows 7 rc that i downloaded from windows site (7100).
after the instaliion do the first reboot acually the first windows 7 rc booting it sais: windows starting and i got a black screen. and it's stock! what can i do.
it's not a vga problem beacuse it recognize the screen and i it's writing windows 7 in the corner very very little at the black screen.
i try to install from difrennt kind of iso that i downloaded and burned and the same problem!

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
its probably finishing its setup....

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
ditch RC, and try 7127

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.