Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've considered getting a public build of Windows 7 lately just to try it out... however the facts elude me to believe that as soon as I install it... the actual retail version will release less than a month away, meaning a complete reinstall of the system.

Has Microsoft in any way considered updating previous builds to the retail version via an online updater or online purchase like Windows Update or would it be best if I just stuck with Vista until the actual release?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
The RC build (Build 7100) was free and came with a key. Though even it was only freely usable until June 2010.

The RTM build (Build 7600) leaked on torrent a couple of months ago. This is the final copy which you'll see on store shelves in a few weeks. It's free for 30 days, though using the re-arm trick (Google it), the period is extendable to 120 days. After this time period is over, you'll have to buy a legit Ultimate key to continue using it.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
The RC build (Build 7100) was free and came with a key. Though even it was only freely usable until June 2010.

The RTM build (Build 7600) leaked on torrent a couple of months ago. This is the final copy which you'll see on store shelves in a few weeks. It's free for 30 days, though using the re-arm trick (Google it), the period is extendable to 120 days. After this time period is over, you'll have to buy a legit Ultimate key to continue using it.
You can buy any version you want, it'll depend on what version you installed.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
You'll need an ultimte key because AFAIK only the Ultimate version of the RTM has leaked.....or maybe the Professional one's leaked too, not sure.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well this only lead to problems...

So far I'm not impressed, All Windows 7 seems to be able to do is not load half of the programs I click on for whatever god-awful reason. Firefox won't open, Internet Explorer 32-bit won't open, neither will Winamp or even Windows Media Player.

Looks like Windows 7 64-bit only opens 64-bit programs.
...and yes I tried the compatability thing, that doesn't work either.

I don't get this...

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
You can buy any version you want, it'll depend on what version you installed.
not exactly. You have to modify the installation source for this to work, if you buy an ultimate disk, it is ultimate only (configured by EI.CFG in the sources folder)

So far I'm not impressed, All Windows 7 seems to be able to do is not load half of the programs I click on for whatever god-awful reason. Firefox won't open, Internet Explorer 32-bit won't open, neither will Winamp or even Windows Media Player.

I don't get this...
uh? fail?
borked install.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts

I don't get this...
oO You fail :p

Re-install it, nobody's ever faced this problem!

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
oO You fail :p

Re-install it, nobody's ever faced this problem!
I figured. ****... now I get to sit here for another two hours installing.
Whoooptie-do.

Edit: I fixed it... silly me installed the wrong sound driver.

Damn me for buying a Turtle Beach sound card, good sound... if you can get it to work that is.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Eh, I'd skip the errors and random crap that would cause and just do a clean install on a new HDD with the old one attatched,... that way you can just move your files over manually without anything conflicting.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Only to those who bought Vista after august 2009, iirc.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.