Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing is stopping the power of Windows 7 waves, not even Windows XP or Harry Potter... From here on out, it will just keep getting better and better by gaining strong positives momentum. There are companies like Intel and others which i forgot the names are willing to upgrade to Windows 7.

Windows 7 breaks Amazon UK pre-order volume record, ousts Harry Potter

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Take it from us, your London-based sleuths, when anything sells faster than Harry Potter books or DVDs in the UK, it's scorching hot. Case in point is Microsoft's Vista successor, which has sold so well that it has beaten the Amazon UK pre-order record previously held by J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In fact, Windows 7 was able to tally up more sales in the first 8 hours of pre-order availability than Vista was able to collect altogether. Now that's what we call an upgrade.
bit of a stub article

Amazon has put Windows 7 up for preorder in the UK, and the sales so far have been amazing. In the first 8 hours, BBC reports, more copies of Windows 7 were sold than those of Windows Vista in its entire 17 week pre-order period.

Yes, Windows 7 is somewhat of a quick fix for the unsuccessful Vista, but it’s a solid quick fix, and Windows users, who haven’t had a chance to switch to a really good new Windows OS since Windows XP can’t wait to get their hands on Windows 7.

Now, we know that Windows 7 has been selling great in the US and in Japan. After all, pre-orders offer a significant discount to Windows 7’s price (the exact amount varies from country to country).

But good results in the UK and the rest of Europe carry a special weight; first of all, due to European Commission’s anti-trust ruling, in Europe Windows 7 will ship without a browser. It also requires a clean install, and – depending how you look at it – the pre-order versions are cheaper than the US pre-order versions. For comparison, Windows 7 Home Premium E is £50 (approx. $82), and Windows 7 Professional E costs £99.99 (approx $163); in the US, customers were able to pre-order upgrade versions much cheaper: Windows 7 Home Premium for $49.99, and Windows 7 Professional for $99.99.

Simply put, there are reasons for European customers to be careful about buying Windows 7, or even annoyed by the fact that they’re getting a slightly crippled version, but they’re still pre-ordering it like crazy.

This puts into perspective Vista’s numbers. Vista sold great, Microsoft kept telling us, and on paper the numbers didn’t look so bad. But let’s face it: a new version of Windows is always an exciting product; it comes bundled with a lot of new computers, and even if it sucks, it’s bound to sell in decent amounts. If Amazon’s early numbers are any indication, Windows 7 – thanks to mostly positive reviews from the press – will sell much, much better than Vista. Market research firm IDC forecasts 40 million units of Windows 7 will be sold in 2009, and 177 million units by the end of 2010. In that year, they predict, Microsoft will sell only 18 million units of Vista, which should account for only 15% of all Windows OSs sold to corporations.

This also means that Google (Google) will have a harder time selling (I mean that metaphorically, it’ll probably be free) their Chrome OS. It’s an exciting product, most people agree, but it may be a little late to the game; had it arrived when thousands of unhappy users were watching Vista drag on their computers, a lightweight, netbook-friendly OS would have hit the spot perfectly. If Windows 7 turns out to be a hit, chances are people won’t be that interested in switching to a different OS, even if it has Google’s name on it.
Unlike Vista, People Actually Stand in Line to Buy Windows 7

impressive that it beat vistas total sales over 17 weeks in 8 hours, but considering the popularity of the OS it doesn't seem surprising.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I love Windows 7, however....
They're seeing high sales not just because Windows 7 is a nice OS but also because XP is very dated by now and people are looking for something snazzier and have been holding out on Vista because they're sheep. ie. many people are jumping into Win 7 asap not due to a love of Win 7, but because they're tired of XP.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
I love Windows 7, however....
They're seeing high sales not just because Windows 7 is a nice OS but also because XP is very dated by now and people are looking for something snazzier and have been holding out on Vista because they're sheep. ie. many people are jumping into Win 7 asap not due to a love of Win 7, but because they're tired of XP.
Oh yes.

Said people are "sheep" because they avoided Vista for its poor performance, lack of driver support on older devices, and myriad of other problems. Sticking with XP because it "just worked" and didn't require a hardware upgrade makes them sheep. The fact that 7 offers performance similar to XP (even on older hardware), can use a wider range of drivers, and doesn't (seem) to have a myriad of problems at launch still qualifies said people as sheep.

While I do fully acknowledge that Vista has improved quite markedly with the service pack releases, it still feels clunky next to 7. This is especially evident on older hardware. The "average" user doesn't need Vista's pretty interface at the expense of worse performance. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is what this is all about. Why should people upgrade their perfectly working computer just to run the latest next-gen OS?

Sorry, it's just that I think the point of people avoiding Vista and OS upgrades in general has been completely missed.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Said people are "sheep" because they avoided Vista for its poor performance, lack of driver support on older devices, and myriad of other problems.
It didn't have a myriad of problem, it had a few. And most were promptly resolved. Vista problems were highly exaggerated and embelished by the rumor mill to the point where people who didn't know any better were scared away from it. I can't relate to you how many clients I've spoken to who tell me when I ask what OS they're using, "I'm stuck with Vista"...and when I ask, "stuck? Why, what kind of problems are you having?" I get answers like, "it works fine. But I heard Vista is no good".

Sheep.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Perhaps you should be asking them how is the OS's performance relative to XP or any other OS. You should also ask whether they feel the money spent on the upgrade was worth it. You'll get your appropriate response that way.

The negative sentiment towards Vista from the general public is because they feel cheated.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
There was nothing bad about vista per se, just lots of bad publicity and fud. Mostly rumors that started as a result of being uninformed and misunderstandings. Those who saw it fit to blame the operating system rather than unstable and buggy third party drivers and applications or their ancient hardware that could barely run XP. People who never tried Vista but saw it fit to bash it just because of the opinions of others and their friends who said it sucked, those who weren't capable of trying and deciding for themselves (sheep, sheeple).

The same exact thing which happened with Vista is also happening with Windows 7, despite Microsoft trying as hard as they could to fix the problems Vista introduced and make Windows 7 a much better experience overall. I wouldn't doubt it that Windows 7 will also suffer from the same bad publicity which haunted Vista propagated by the fud machine just because it's hip to bash anything Microsoft or Windows.

Requirements will always go up slightly with each major version software and operating systems, this holds true for any previous incarnation of Windows and future versions, heck it even holds true for Linux. Vista did not eat more memory than XP even though it appeared like this to the majority, the ram usage was a common misconception which ultimately gave Vista bad publicity and a poor reputation in the end. It just used unused ram and managed ram more efficiently for features such as super fetch and the DWM so applications started much faster and the interface was smoother. The XP interface lacked acceleration and was sluggish as heck at times. Generally the interface of Vista and 7 are much smoother than the XP inteface. Vista and 7 will release memory when an application needs it, hence the more efficient memory management as explained above.

Spyhop wasn't calling everyone who sticks with XP sheep, just those who base their opinions or choices off of others misinformed opinions or choices and hasn't tried it for themselves. This applies for nearly everything such as iPod users who won't use anything else even if it's better because they have to follow the herd of which are their friends because their friends have iPods and proclaim Apple/iPod is better than anything else, thus are incapable of deciding for themselves.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
It didn't have a myriad of problem,
Yes it did.

it had a few.
No it didn't. It took them 2 service packs to get the os 80% stable and in doing so they caused a 10% performance hit all around because it was just too time consuming to rip the buggy driver stacks to shreds and fix the problem entirely.

And most were promptly resolved.
Most still aren't.

Vista problems were highly exaggerated and embelished by the rumor mill to the point where people who didn't know any better were scared away from it.
The problems were what they were. For every user i warned off of vista, i had a user happy to stick with XP.

That said, Windows 7 IS NOT just Vista with a few interface changes, its been stripped back and optimised at the kernel, service and driver stacks, as well as notable fixed a number of compatibility issues that still exist in Vista to this day.

I can't relate to you how many clients I've spoken to who tell me when I ask what OS they're using, "I'm stuck with Vista"...and when I ask, "stuck? Why, what kind of problems are you having?" I get answers like, "it works fine. But I heard Vista is no good".
Users like simplicity, every user i know of that has had the luck of having tried both XP and Vista knows that XP was the better and easier to use of the two, thats not just because several parts of the CP were ripped out and left out entirely (to be replaced in Windows 7 lol) but because Microsoft was never entirely up front about the circumstances surrounding the HAL-Less design to driver developers, Its one thing to offer them beta's but considering the poor state of vista's development cycle, 99% of vendors weren't sure if it was actually safe to state writing drivers, as the bloody thing kept changing.

UAC was never meant to be part of long horn, it was tacked on somewhere in the last year of development. this threw another wrench into vendor's pipes as it meant having to adhere to user mode profiling and all that extra bull****.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Yes it did.

No it didn't. It took them 2 service packs to get the os 80% stable and in doing so they caused a 10% performance hit all around because it was just too time consuming to rip the buggy driver stacks to shreds and fix the problem entirely.
It toked them one Service pack to do that and more, vista with SP1 was more stable for me then xp ever was, it stayed in my computer for the longest time any os (except 2000) ever did.

The problems were what they were. For every user i warned off of vista, i had a user happy to stick with XP.
Knowing your style why do i feel like it was more of a bashing then a warning :p.

Well in my experience all where afraid of vista cause of the bashing but once they tried it out they all loved it, except for one guy which was stupid and couldn't give me a reason why he hated it (just to make sure i ain't misunderstood i'm talking about real life situations :p).

That said, Windows 7 IS NOT just Vista with a few interface changes, its been stripped back and optimised at the kernel, service and driver stacks, as well as notable fixed a number of compatibility issues that still exist in Vista to this day.
Well yeah it isn't just a vista with a better interface its an overall improved vista.

Users like simplicity, every user i know of that has had the luck of having tried both XP and Vista knows that XP was the better and easier to use of the two, thats not just because several parts of the CP were ripped out and left out entirely (to be replaced in Windows 7 lol) but because Microsoft was never entirely up front about the circumstances surrounding the HAL-Less design to driver developers, Its one thing to offer them beta's but considering the poor state of vista's development cycle, 99% of vendors weren't sure if it was actually safe to state writing drivers, as the bloody thing kept changing.

UAC was never meant to be part of long horn, it was tacked on somewhere in the last year of development. this threw another wrench into vendor's pipes as it meant having to adhere to user mode profiling and all that extra bull****.
lol for me vista was way better to use then XP (and not just me), simply for almost the same reasons which 7 is for me better then XP, speed performance and stability.

And really when it camed to driver support its not fair to shift all the fault on Vista/microsoft the driver devs have there fair share of faults to.

As for UAC it could be disabled which is what i always did XD.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
@Squall-Leonhart

I laughed when people pulls out random or opiniated statistics =)

Vista too hard to use? What kind of excuses is that? That is like saying, "school is too hard, so I think I am going to chill at home". I bet XP was hard to use when it first came out, but look how old XP is now. I am willing bet there are still people that would say XP is still hard to use. Sometime I wonder if using the brain properly would be some what of a technical challenge for some people?

I never had any serious issue with Vista so why are people still having issues beside applications or driver compatible, which most if not all has already been resolved. I think people need to stop dreaming or living in the past and start living in the NOW. If the application or device still not working with vista on service pack 2, even after running the Compatibility Mode, then it is time throw that piece of junk away and buy a "modern" version (hardware) of it.... For applications (software or programs), simply search for a newer, more efficient, and modern application that does a better job or task.

Yes folks, Windows 7 and Vista both have this feature where you can make your non-compatible programs or applications run on both Vista and 7. To configure the compatibility mode for an application, just locate the installation directory and right click on the .exe, selecting Properties from the menu and bam you are done! On Windows 7 just simply left click and select troubleshoot compatibility. This should have been obvious if you had tried and used Vista :lol: But hey, now you know! Give yourself a pat in the back :thumb:

And people should not listen others and hop onto their bandwagon so easily because what they tells you does not necessary means that it will happen to you. Best to avoid people who are loyal or is fan of a item or product, and especially people that do not kknow what they are talking about.

Okay enough talking about Vista already. If you want to continue talking about it then make your own thread... My rant ends here since someone spills the beans so I had to clean up the mess!

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Vista too hard to use? What kind of excuses is that? That is like saying, "school is too hard, so I think I am going to chill at home". I bet XP was hard to use when it first came out, but look how old XP is now. I am willing bet there are still people that would say XP is still hard to use. Sometime I wonder if using the brain properly would be some what of a technical challenge for some people?
Vista's Control panel is a maze of options, you have to open 1 option to get to another option that shouldn't be hidden away in the first place. Having to access the Network and sharing screen to further access the Network adapter screens, THAT is not simplicity.

I never had any serious issue with Vista so why are people still having issues beside applications or driver compatible, which most if not all has already been resolved. I think people need to stop dreaming or living in the past and start living in the NOW. If the application or device still not working with vista on service pack 2, even after running the Compatibility Mode, then it is time throw that piece of junk away and buy a "modern" version (hardware) of it.... For applications (software or programs), simply search for a newer, more efficient, and modern application that does a better job or task.
You overrate driver vendors and their willingless to support their products. you can't even get adaptoid drivers for it >.>.
and DSE makes it nigh impossible for hobbyists to provide functional drivers to the community.

Yes folks, Windows 7 and Vista both have this feature where you can make your non-compatible programs or applications run on both Vista and 7. To configure the compatibility mode for an application, just locate the installation directory and right click on the .exe, selecting Properties from the menu and bam you are done! On Windows 7 just simply left click and select troubleshoot compatibility. This should have been obvious if you had tried and used Vista :lol: But hey, now you know! Give yourself a pat in the back :thumb:
As someone that knows his way around the application compatibility toolkit, this is actually effective barely %10 of the time, there are inherent restructures in the OS and API's inside it that prevent same apps from running without decompiling and patching around the limitations of the Legacy API support., infact one such limitation exists worse in windows 7, but a project is in planning to work around this with a DD>D3D9 wrapper, more information coming soon kids ;).

And people should not listen others and hop onto their bandwagon so easily because what they tells you does not necessary means that it will happen to you. Best to avoid people who are loyal or is fan of a item or product, and especially people that do not kknow what they are talking about.

Okay enough talking about Vista already. If you want to continue talking about it then make your own thread... My rant ends here since someone spills the beans so I had to clean up the mess!
When an issue occurs for 7/10 people, odds are the issue will occur for you, or someone else, Thats just how odds work. Vista was not ready for release, both from a Code PoV, and vendor PoV.

I was one of (the thousands) of Vista testers who complained to them that the beta period was not long enough, and the OS was not going to take off with the bugs that did (and still) exist.

Waiting for SP3 to apply the same kernel level threading optimisations in Vista, vs getting a Multithread optimised OS.... Windows 7 was the only course of upgrade.

Windows 7 is the most stable vanilla OS MSFT have ever released.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Vista's Control panel is a maze of options, you have to open 1 option to get to another option that shouldn't be hidden away in the first place. Having to access the Network and sharing screen to further access the Network adapter screens, THAT is not simplicity.
You do know there was an option to change the view of the control panel do you ? (still is in 7 as well) as for the control panel its pretty much stayed the same in 7 as in vista so complaining about vista's network and sharing screen also means complaining about 7's one.

As for the issues where 7 out of 10 complained about the OS lets be honest a max of 3 out of 7 had a valid point to complain about and the other 4 where just sheep.

The biggest issue though which Vista had was that its system requirements where set to high to run it acceptable, you needed at least a dual core and 1.5/2 gigs of ram.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
i'll give it 5/10, and go no lower. People with oem setups don't have right to complain and are not counted in my conclusions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.