Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering ...how often am I supposed to format my HDD and reinstall everything from scratch so that I have a system running fast and smoothly.I need some personal opinions from win2k users

·
Registered
514 Posts
>how often am I supposed to format my HDD and reinstall
>everything from scratch so that I have a system running fast and
>smoothly
There's really no 'hard and fast' rule of thumb here, really. If you're the sort of person that installs/removes alot of software or dabble in beta drivers/apps you're more likely to have to reformat.

I have two seperate Win2k boxen (don't plan on upgrading to XP any time soon): one for work and one for games and the like. The apps and such on the work machine don't change. Since the registry and the like aren't all that different from how they were upon initial install I find that it's much faster than my frequently modified game machine.

As a rule I tend to reformat my game machine whenever I add hardware or make a signifigant number of software modifications. I know that it isn't necessary, but I find it's really helpful to have only new drivers and the like. My work machine almost never gets reformatted and, when it does, I install a Norton Ghost image containing the OS and all my apps.

I'd hope that helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well unfortunately I'm not that lucky to own to machines..Anyway I try to keep my registry as clean as possible from obsolete entries. I use a freeware program called registry cleaner which allows me to remove the uselles entries left behind whenever I uninstall a program.IT IS great, here's its homepagehttp://www.jv16.org/ you might find very usefull.Well I also do DiVx encoding. That's all.My point is to find out if I win2k are as bad as WIN 98 used to be.Thanks:rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.