Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into buying pro, and I'm curious if there is any real difference between OEM versions of WinXP (cheaper by $60 on average) and boxed retail versions. I can't seem to find anything online about it.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Nope. Just a fancy box. That's it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The oem version is intended to be bundled with computer. Most retailers are supposed to sell them. But some private retailers do and its exactly like Winxp boxed version. Its justs Microsoft doesnt want them too.

·
band
4,912 Posts
yea...some stores go the extra mile by requiring u to purchase something. u can get the oem sometimes by getting a bundle with like a usb stick or mebe even a cd-r (spindle).

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
The only major difference on oem is if you buy a computer, there is usually some extra software bundled in....but otherwise, no...there is no difference.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
When I got my OEM copy of XP Professional from Newegg, I had to get a $5 molex splitter which they gave to me for free :D. As for differences between the versions, they've already been mentioned (packaging and price). They both act exactly the same when you use them.

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
well I think OEM version usually comes with the computer that you bought, like if you buy a Dell it comes up a bundled OS... retail version are the ones for sale in computer stores

·
Old Man
286 Posts
OEM versions of XP usually also come with a system builder install. So the system builder can install all the applications they wish, and then ship it off, then when the user starts up its a welcome thingy. Its pretty useful for system builders, and cheap for personal use :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts