Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a question that's been bugging me for a while. Right now, I still enjoy a game of jumpman once in a while and I wish it were out for the Game Boy Advance... 20 years has 'killed it. But 20 years from now will any of todays 'hits' be enjoyable?

I like playing 'new' games, heck I like Prince of Persia, Unreal Tournament 2003, and other 'new' games, but I'm not sure when I'm 56, I'll be interested in playing them... *I'll bet I'll still have MAME and some controllers! LOL*

So how do you feel? Will you be playing Gamecube games 20 years from now? Playstation 2? XBOX? 'current' PC games?

·
band
4,912 Posts
i'd say around 20 yrs from now PS2 will be emulated. so yea...20 yrs, ppl will still be playing ps2 games :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think it depends on what kind of "20 years" you are talking about. Just a couple days ago, I pulled up a game that I played some 12 years ago and played it from beginning to finish, and I'm planning on finishing its sequal again next. Master pieces can endure time, while POCs bore you after the first time (like DY: Empires, I regret wasting the time to finish it just once).
Now, if it's 20 years from now, which I'd be in my 40's, I don't know if I will still have time to play games if I have a family to take are of.

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
in 20 years rom kiddies will have a complete "goodps2" set

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
yeah... and I think it won't be like today... I mean look at commodore 64 or 128 emulation, those mashines are from arround 1984 year, to finish those games you need about hour, or sometime minutes, but now look at PS2 game, or just psx games, for those you sometimes need about 20 or more hours to finish.

year 2024 -> virtual reality and such thing ;) can't wait :D

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
I think I'll be playing for the rest of my life, but to tell the truth I don't think I'll be playing only those "new" games... I think I'm still playing PSX and others, and I'll take care that my Commodore 64 will still work then(if I'm still alive...).

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Samor said:
only the ones I liked best probably...
a game like Gradius V or one of the Sonic games perhaps.
Ditto. There are games that i'd like to play in the future regardless how old they are, but most of the games i've played are fine played once. Anyway, as original ideas are less and less frequent nowadays, in 20 years probably we can play a recent rehash of the same games anyway :rolleyes:

Though, as stilz said, that is if i have time to play. Right now is pretty hard already...

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
20 years.... Hmm we'll all probably be hanging around in ngemu's holographic simulation of a mid-naughties arcade, playing ps3 games on the holographic emulation of an old ps3 console. ;)

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Ah Super Mario Bros....has it really been so long? 20 years past (well for the Japanese Jumpman version anyway, but 2005 is just around the corner for us US folk). The gameplay is still fun and engaging. Chances are there will still be those few PS2 / GC / Xbox game releases that will continue to be fun and engaging 20 years from now. Besides...there will bere makes of classic games such as Halo and GTA, and compilation discs such as the Namco Greatest Hits disc with Tekken 5, Soul Caliber 3, and more!
Oh..and your kids will laugh when you break out the Jakks Pacific standalone version of Phantasy Star Online 4 with Ultra WiFi connection. They will laugh even harder as you jack yourself into the WWW in hopes of finding other old gamers at Bobby's Vintage Gaming (BVG formerly NGEmu)

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
I think it's hard to predict any kind of trend of 20 years from now, although ctrl-alt-del had a go:

Think about it for a sec. in the late 80's people were already envisaging jet packs, hoverboards, holographic screens, vr suits, and neural interfaces for the year 2000. What happened to that? We can't know what's going to happen in hte future. I'd like to think that the old classics never really die (guess who still plays the Screamer series, Hi-Octane, Double Dragon 2, Streets of Rage 2, Mario 3, Discworld, Sam N Max and all his favorite Amstrad games like Dizzy, Roland on hte Ropes and Target Renegade), but it truly depends on the personality of hte gamer.

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
In the future "old school" will the lastest thread and everybody will be playing NES Zelda and Zork!

Or maybe companies will continue to pump out more sequels like Quake 20!

Kane-Sama said:
Think about it for a sec. in the late 80's people were already envisaging jet packs, hoverboards, holographic screens, vr suits, and neural interfaces for the year 2000. What happened to that? We can't know what's going to happen in hte future. I'd like to think that the old classics never really die (guess who still plays the Screamer series, Hi-Octane, Double Dragon 2, Streets of Rage 2, Mario 3, Discworld, Sam N Max and all his favorite Amstrad games like Dizzy, Roland on hte Ropes and Target Renegade), but it truly depends on the personality of hte gamer.
Yeah, like I'm still waiting for HAL to come online.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
I believe it does not depend on the personality of the gamer or anything like that. It depends entirly on the games.

Mario is an extremly good example of a timeless classic, because it never plays the same and you can always improve on your best score time etc etc.

Futher more there's always some great games that you've simply missed ( don't know if this is on topic or not ) but one example is dragon warrior ( or quest ) 4 for the NES, it's old, but it's one of the best games i've played the last few years ( certainly much better than any new game released. )

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Kane-Sama said:
I still love to play Double Dragon 2 and 3 :D

I think that I will still be playing games when I'm 38, though it won't be as often as now, and I hope that my consoles are still working by then :???:

I have some games that I tend to play when I don't know what to do:

Dungeon Keeper 2, NHL games (currently 2k2 for the DC) , FF7, Grandia 2 I think.

Those are the games I like to play every once in a while. And also some classic NES games like Double Dragon series, they will never bore me and seem to have endless replay value to me.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm still playing the original NES stuff. Mario Bros., Zelda ect. ect (which *are* coming up on 20 years). And if I still had my Intellivision I'm pretty sure I'd be playing that, too. I love old school. I'm impressed by today's graphical differences in games, but I have bought 0 games in my lifetime based on graphics. It's all about gameplay, baby! And all of the games I still play have lots of it. :)
- Modem

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
im still playing pacman, and sometimes i like to finish old games just for remembering the good times.
btw, i just buyed a sega genesis and a nes(whit the original golden zelda) for under 5 bucks.

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
The answer is obvious... of course I will keep playing Lunar TSS/EB and Sakura Taisen games in 20 years... along with Sakura Taisen XXII but that's another story...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts