Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Emulator user since 2006
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my PC specs :
Full specs :

I found this video card on the computer store, but will it work on my PC ?
Point-of-View GeForce 7600GT video card, 256MB DDR2, 128bit, TV, DVI, AGP
So ????? If it would'nt why ? What is the best Video Card i can get ?

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
7,193 Posts
As long as the card is an AGP card (which it appears to be), it should fit.
At least if I understood the images correctly.

As for the best AGP card in sale at the moment... I honestly don't know.
I don't even think they sell motherboards with AGP slots nowadays, hence no real need for the producers to make AGP cards.

·
Emulator user since 2006
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as the card is an AGP card (which it appears to be), it should fit.
At least if I understood the images correctly.

As for the best AGP card in sale at the moment... I honestly don't know.
I don't even think they sell motherboards with AGP slots nowadays, hence no real need for the producers to make AGP cards.
YAP It's AGP and thanks for a good news I'm getting it :).

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Don't expect much.
Well, really, it depends. If you're counting compared to today's card, then sure.

If you're saying it's not a jump in it's own right, you're wrong. It's a decent boost. I went from a GeForce 4 Ti4200 to a GeForce 6800GS (AGP) at one point. The increase was quite large. This upgrade is comparable. I think the GeForce 6200 is a little better than, or at least on par with, the GeForce 4 Ti4200, and the GeForce 7600GT is quite a bit better than the GeForce 6800GT.

Sure, it won't play modern games at high settings and resolutions, but it'll definitely add to the capabilities of that PC, even if it's a Celeron at it's core (which would become the next bottleneck). Heck, drop in a cheap Pentium 4 with twice the cache and twice the FSB (the Netburst architecture was seriously bandwidth starved), and it will actually be half decent, at least considering it's age.

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
Well, really, it depends. If you're counting compared to today's card, then sure.

If you're saying it's not a jump in it's own right, you're wrong. It's a decent boost. I went from a GeForce 4 Ti4200 to a GeForce 6800GS (AGP) at one point. The increase was quite large. This upgrade is comparable. I think the GeForce 6200 is a little better than, or at least on par with, the GeForce 4 Ti4200, and the GeForce 7600GT is quite a bit better than the GeForce 6800GT.

Sure, it won't play modern games at high settings and resolutions, but it'll definitely add to the capabilities of that PC, even if it's a Celeron at it's core (which would become the next bottleneck). Heck, drop in a cheap Pentium 4 with twice the cache and twice the FSB (the Netburst architecture was seriously bandwidth starved), and it will actually be half decent, at least considering it's age.
The jump is large in comparison to what he has but in terms of graphical performance; instead of throwing tacks at a brick wall, you're throwing a rock. You might chip one brick but you still aren't going to get very far.

It might be a large jump technically, but in usable sense he still isn't much better off than he would be saving his money for a new setup.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
The jump is large in comparison to what he has but in terms of graphical performance; instead of throwing tacks at a brick wall, you're throwing a rock. You might chip one brick but you still aren't going to get very far.

It might be a large jump technically, but in usable sense he still isn't much better off than he would be saving his money for a new setup.
The mentality that everyone needs a modern PC isn't the right one.

·
Emulator user since 2006
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since when were we talking about "everyone"? We're talking about him. Look at his signature; this guy wants to run PCSX2 and Dolphin. In that case; he does need a modern PC.
I just testing those emulators, it doesn't mean I desperately want to fully play the games on them, but atleast somebody who have similar Specs will know what to expect, sure there's a very few of them ;).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Last AGP card I heard of was an ATI 3850, but don't expect driver support from ATI, the support comes from individual card maker like Sapphire or Powercolor.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Since when were we talking about "everyone"? We're talking about him. Look at his signature; this guy wants to run PCSX2 and Dolphin. In that case; he does need a modern PC.
Okay, it's probably a good idea worth noting that to him in case he may be buying for that purpose, because in those cases, it would do next to nothing and be a waste, but you're jumping to conclusions, even though I'm acknowledging said conclusion could be right. You still should have noted then that that was what you were answering based on, because I was simply answering what he actually did ask, and giving my own feedback from experience of a roughly similar upgrade, and from my experience, "don't expect much" doesn't fit the results, thus I argued the claim.

It's better to put it this way.

Will it help emulators? Besides giving more power for Pete's OpenGL2 for ePSXe, no, not at all.

Will it give more gaming power? Yes, but don't expect to play modern games or at high settings.

Will the card works? Yes, technically, but there's another issue I'll mention below.
Last AGP card I heard of was an ATI 3850, but don't expect driver support from ATI, the support comes from individual card maker like Sapphire or Powercolor.
The CPU would bottleneck the GeForce 7600GT a bit as it is, let alone a Radeon HD3850.

Also, I doubt the PSU in the PC in question would handle that. It may be questionable for the GeForce 7600GT as it is, which is the other issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.