Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having my Wii bite the big one, I'm starting to consider no longer buying any consoles after this gen. If a Wii 2, PS4, XBOX sequel to the 360 comes out, I don't think I'll buy them. I may just quit gaming and stick with retro / emulation.

It's becoming very clear that these newer systems aren't dependable, cost too much money, and don't last very long. I'm already on my 2nd PS2, and while I'll probably always own a PS2 until they are no longer available or I have a powerful enough system to run PCSX2, I just think the time is coming for me to stop feeding these companies money and get slapped in the face.

I know I don't want a PSP Go, or a DSi, or whatever the "new" DSi will be, but I'm thinking that there is nothing in the future but downloadable games we won't own, draconian DRM on the PC and maybe future consoles as well.

Maybe I'm just pissed at the moment that I'm going to have to spend $75 on a Wii to fix it and I took great care of the system, and had it for barely a year and a half, or maybe I'm maturing and seeing the waste that goes into having gaming systems that can't last 2-3 years.

How do you feel about the gaming industry?

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW, I sent and e-mailed Nintendo this letter.

Dear Nintendo,

For many years, since maybe around 1994, I have been an avid Nintendo fan. Having purchased a Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and a Wii, as well as a Color Gameboy, 2 Gameboy Advance SPs, and a Nintendo DS Lite, I think I have done my part to support your company as a loyal customer.

This past week, I was playing my Wii, and updated my firmware online to the latest firmware. But Thursday, after a close friend gave me the New Super Mario Bros Wii, I found my Wii no longer responsive. I get the red light upon plugging in the console to the power supply and it will not power on to green or power off.

I followed the FAQ section online and tried the options to “Fix” the system, including unplugging the power supply to “reset” it, unplugging the Wii Mote receiver, and just powering up the Wii with the A/V and power supply with no success.

I searched the technical support messageboard and posted a request for help as well as talked to someone on the 800 phone line. I was informed that I would have to pay ~$85 plus shipping to get my Wii repaired. I also found out on the Internet that my system may be a victim to the latest firmware upgrade and that it was written to brick modded Wii systems.

I have never modded my Wii, software or hardware, I used Nintendo accessories, and I only play games I have purchased online in the Nintendo store or commercial games, both new and used for the Wii. I was also informed that if I had anyone other than Nintendo repair my Wii, I might lose all my virtual data that I purchased.

I am very disturbed that Nintendo would knowingly update a firmware with malicious intent, and that they would try and bully customers into paying to repair consoles that may have been damaged by Nintendo’s own code.

At this point I am seriously considering whether or not I will buy another video game console or portable gaming system, it seems Nintendo and Sony and Microsoft are all turning on the customers that made them successful, and I resent being treated poorly by any company.

I purposely purchased a DS Lite knowing the DSi was going to be coming, and was mortified that even it has a successor. I do not like buying digital games, I prefer owning them. I only purchased the digital games for the Wii as I want to support legal emulation and enjoy playing NES, SNES, etc on my Wii. However hearing you will use them to force me to get my Wii repaired by your store has soured any thoughts of expanding that library any further.

I still have a working NES, Super NES, N64, and a “3rd party” NES, at this point I am wondering why I should buy any new gaming technology if this is the way I will be treated by your company. If I cannot expect a $250 system to even last 3 years with moderate play, why invest in another one.

I really have enjoyed my Wii, but this may be the last hardware (console) I will buy from Nintendo. I may just go back to playing the older games and continue to buy used systems, as they are available.

Please understand I do not make such decisions lightly, but it seems Nintendo no longer represents the quality or customer care I have grown accustomed to expecting.

Chris Cummins

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
This generation certainly does suck. Its really the first generation where the games being made can hardly be run properly on the console. i mean, xbox360 can barely keep most games i play at 30fps, and there are always huge dips.

I will continue to always upgrade my PC as i get way more satisfaction out of playing games at 120 fps and good graphics, always connected to internet, patches, and forum support and such.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I've given up on gaming all together.

Console gaming suffers from lack of creativity and hardware design issues.

PC Gaming suffers from poor optimization, "f**k you" style DRM, horrible bugs. And the same lack of creativity found in console gaming. Not to mention bull**** minimum requirements. I've seen many people believe that the game will run on their PC because they meet the minimum system requirements, but their PCs would be lucky to play said game at 10FPS on low settings at 640*480. Unrealistic minimum requirements just to move more games to unsuspecting people - BULL****!

I gotta say I love the Xbox 360's failure rate... I've started fixing them for $30 a pop and have made a decent profit after only a few days. :D

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
yeah the min requirements are always horribly wrong. luckily i have a computer that doesnt require me to look at the requirements, i just assume i will be able to play it :D

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Yes, actually. I've been involving myself a lot more with "analog" entertainment lately.

If you put the controller down for awhile and go do something like drive a four wheeler, you'll find that fun doesn't require a 4GHz Core i7 processor. Only a 250cc or so engine.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, actually. I've been involving myself a lot more with "analog" entertainment lately.

If you put the controller down for awhile and go do something like drive a four wheeler, you'll find that fun doesn't require a 4GHz Core i7 processor. Only a 250cc or so engine.
Unfortunately my car is eating $300 at the moment for repairs and is in no shape to be having fun in it. If it weren't for the car, my Wii would be mailed out to Nintendo and I might get to play the New Super Mario Bros in time for Christmas.

Thanks to the car, I'll be waiting until March to see my Wii again, let alone play games on it!

Looks at New Super Mario Bros Wii game/case and cries... :cry: :angry: :dead:

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's wrong with the car?

I just recently got mine in (seemingly) perfect order.. just in time to sell it so I can get a Subaru STi :D
The struts are going and need replaced.

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
I haven't really looked at the recent generation of consoles, although there is a Nintendo Wii in the house. I usually just stick to PC games, simpler that way. I was considering buying Tomb Raider Underworld for Wii but bought the PC version instead:p.

Not to mention bull**** minimum requirements. I've seen many people believe that the game will run on their PC because they meet the minimum system requirements, but their PCs would be lucky to play said game at 10FPS on low settings at 640*480. Unrealistic minimum requirements just to move more games to unsuspecting people - BULL****!
Well, there is a reason why it's called minimum requirements - minimum, as in barely able to run. Technically, if the system can run the game it's met the minimum requirements. What people should really be looking at is the recommended system requirements, since it is what is usually needed for decent gameplay.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Well, there is a reason why it's called minimum requirements - minimum, as in barely able to run. Technically, if the system can run the game it's met the minimum requirements. What people should really be looking at is the recommended system requirements, since it is what is usually needed for decent gameplay.
Generally, when I think of a "minimum" requirement, be it in computers or otherwise, I think the minimum requirement should be able to perform at an acceptable level.

For example, lets say my car's manual says "Minimum Oil Requirement: Conventional 10w30 Oil", but it recommends High-Performance Synthetic 5W30 oil. It'll run at an acceptable level with the conventional 5W30, just not as good as the synthetic.

If the same method was used for oil specifications as they use in PC gaming, if I put that conventional oil in my car, I wouldn't be able to drive faster than 10MPH without blowing my engine out.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just realized an irony, my Wii breaking so soon may be what puts me off buy the successor, and yet it was the NES that "saved" video game consoles.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
I got off the bus earlier. The last console I bought was a Nintendo 64. It's not worth it, the quantity of money you have to invest in gaming. It's better just to find a game that can entertain your for years to come. Look at me, I'm still playing Warcraft III, and it's the only game I have needed for the last few years (other than free homebrew games and similar).

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I also found out on the Internet that my system may be a victim to the latest firmware upgrade and that it was written to brick modded Wii systems.
The update wasn't written to brick modded Wiis, it was written to remove homebrew content.
The bricking comes from something else, it updates a pretty important file (boot2 to boot2v4, and you can tell it's important because it's called boot) and if the update fails (for any reason whatsoever) while doing it, you're out of luck.
The update will freeze, so you're forced to reboot it, and it... Won't. With the file being corrupted (because of the failed update) it won't start.

This wasn't a malicious attempt by Nintendo* to brick Wiis that were "illegally modified", I'm not even sure if anyone actually knows why this update brick some Wiis and doesn't brick others. It seems like it affects a minority and they didn't get that problem when testing it.

I'm not sure why that update is STILL available tho, this just seems like a poor decision.

*Except maybe the Korean Wiis that were converted. I don't know if this was done on purpose, but it seems like Korean Wiis that were converted get region switched during the update, and it kinds of fuxorz them up. But it also seems like this can be fixed, it's not the same error as you're experiencing.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.