Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I just found this forum about a week ago. Ive been trying to find settings to run Kingdom Hearts at a decent FPS, but I can't find them...unless im blind. Anytime I try to run any game, it gets choppy and runs at about 20 FPS or less during play. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Anyways, on to my computer specs.

Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.40GHz
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1024 MB GDDR3
Memory: 6GB DDR2 PC2-6400
System Drive: 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ 8MB Cache
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 18x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive

Thanks in advance,
Jaymz

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys. I just found this forum about a week ago. Ive been trying to find settings to run Kingdom Hearts at a decent FPS, but I can't find them...unless im blind. Anytime I try to run any game, it gets choppy and runs at about 20 FPS or less during play. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Anyways, on to my computer specs.

Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.40GHz
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1024 MB GDDR3
Memory: 6GB DDR2 PC2-6400
System Drive: 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ 8MB Cache
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 18x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive

Thanks in advance,
Jaymz
Your processor might be a bit weak, but your graphic card is way good enough. The single configuration a found with gave me x3 speed is this one:

Download the beta release of PCSX2, as this option is not available in 0.9.6. In speed hacks, you have a microVU option on the right. Set it to max.

·
World domination!
112 Posts
With you specs you sould be able to run mont games at full speed. Kingdom hearts doesn't take much to run. If you want any help with your config ask pm me.
also you shouldn't have to use the micro vu hack if you do don't put it to hi. It will screw up the graphics

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since the topic is not locked yet i will say excuse to Jaymz to use his topic for my doubt: i want to do a major upgrade im my pc and i'm between Q9550 or Phenom 2 945. Whitch of those 2 will run smoother the pscx2? the other parts are 4GB OCZ DDR2 800mhz, radeon 4830HD 512MB ddr3 and HD WD500gb 7200rpm. Please only rep if u have one of those two.
Thanks.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts
Hmm. Between a Q9550 and a 945, eh?

I'd go with the 945 since socket 775 is on its way out. Also, if you go with that, you should get a socket AM3 motherboard and buy some DDR3 RAM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi masta.g.86, thanks for answer, the motherboard is ASUS M4N78 SE, in descriptions says it is ready for am2,am2+ and am3 but accept only ddr2, i know its a problem for future upgrades but i cant afford ddr3 atm. Just to be sure this MB works with PhII 945 and ddr2 right?

Other thing, this vid is real? YouTube - Dual PCSX2 - Testing Phenom II and HD4890, after saw this my will to have one was busted xD.

Bye

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts
I think you should save up a little more and buy an AM3 motherboard and DDR3 RAM regardless. Buying the older, cheaper parts will leave you in the cold within a short period of time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
YouTube - Dual PCSX2 - Testing Phenom II and HD4890
I'm not impressed at all.

pcsx2 uses two cores (2 main threads, 1 for pcsx2, and the other for MSVC if you use gsdx), so it cannot use more than 50% of the ressources of a quad core CPU anyways, leaving another 50% free, for another instance of PCSX2, for example.

Under these conditions, ANY QUAD CORE PROCESSOR can run two instances of pcsx2 and think nothing of it.

As for the actual rendering, pcsx never really required a good GPU. I'm running FFX at 1920*1200 on a HD4870, and it barely ever reaches 10% GPU load... Imagine if you run in native ps2 res!

Show me the same video with a Dual Core though, and I'll be pissing my pants ;)

Hi masta.g.86, thanks for answer, the motherboard is ASUS M4N78 SE, in descriptions says it is ready for am2,am2+ and am3 but accept only ddr2, i know its a problem for future upgrades but i cant afford ddr3 atm. Just to be sure this MB works with PhII 945 and ddr2 right?
Bye
If you are tight on cash, then you should go for a Phenom X2 550 or an Athlon X2 250, and get an AM3 motherBoard + DDR3 Ram.

This setup is extremely easy to update in the future. The phenom X2 550 is only a fraction of the price of the X4 955 (about a fourth!), and you will get almost the same results for gaming.

Quad core processors don't provide anything for gaming, and you will barely see the difference with pcsx2. They are usually used by enthusiast with too much money (;)), or people who use heavily multi-threaded applications (video compression, image editing etc.)

If you realize you really want a quad core though, with the above set up, you can easily replace the processor, without changing anything (and the Phenom X4 945's price will go down by then, actually making you save money overall!).

·
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
2,058 Posts
Phenom II X4 620 is about same price with X2 550 with 2 extra cores sans the L3 cache which doesn't matter much anyway. Quad is cheap nowadays. ;)
IMO getting dual core right now is not a good idea, even more so if you're building a new rig.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Phenom II X4 620 is about same price with X2 550 with 2 extra cores sans the L3 cache which doesn't matter much anyway. Quad is cheap nowadays. ;)
IMO getting dual core right now is not a good idea, even more so if you're building a new rig.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to compare all the processors, but I can guarantee you it is a good idea to get an AM3 platform rather than AM2+.

If you find DDR3 too expensive, then you can buy only 2gigs now, and 2 gigs later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks masta.g.86,monarchdodra and nanaya for ur answers ^^, ive decided to save a little more and buy ddr3 and MB am3.

Today i have a athlon 64 3000+ 939(age: 4 years xD), 2gb ddr1, hd40gb IDE 7200(age: 8 years, came of my first pc) and 4830 512mb.

The ati alone do the magic of running .hack infection 37~45 fps(58fps in closed areas), but since i own a 77XXX its not worth to play in pc...not yet ^^.

Thats the only reason to do this upgrade becouse games like Fallout3 or Prototype run 25~35 here.

Agains thanks for ur answers.
Bye.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Under these conditions, ANY QUAD CORE PROCESSOR can run two instances of pcsx2 and think nothing of it.
While you're spot on about the rest, this part (specifically, the last part) is not true. I know what you were going for, but I think a statement like that could mislead alot of people.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts
AMD's modern socket is AM3. (1)

Intel's modern sockets are 1156 and 1366 (2)

2 questions:

Which Intel socket type is more future proof?

What if the builder wants to start with a budget system and upgrade over time to high performance parts? Which socket do you go with when you don't know what's on the horizon?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Simple. 1156 is mainstream/performance and 1366 is enthusiast/high end. In the case of P55, there is only 1156. Both socket types will be supported for the next few years to come. Have you even checked the prices for the Core i5? It costs the same as a Phenom II x4 945 and beats the Phenom II 965 in every single bench.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The bottom line is there's next to no reason at all to "upgrade" to AMD, especially when going to a whole new motherboard. It doesn't matter if you go for 1366 or 1156. All this is made clear when the budget class from Intel is faster than AMD's fastest quad.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts
Are you slow or something?

Not only did you not answer my question, but now you're bashing the forum as "full of AMD followers"? WTF is wrong with you?

Intel currently claims that both of their modern day sockets will be supported from here on. I have a very hard time believing that. One of them will be put to rest while the other carries on. AMD's current modern socket is AM3... that's it. No need to worry about it being put to rest any time soon.

I was well aware of i5 before I even built my system, but I still went with AMD because Intel can't seem to decide on an official socket platform. The issue was longetivity. If I chose socket 1156 I was stuck with socket 1156 processors. If I wanted to upgrade to a full-spec socket 1366 CPU later on, I would have to buy a new motherboard and RAM as well. This is what I and nanaya are pointing out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.