Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Sci-Fi has been telling us that a long time ago.

I think someday It will happen.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Doubt it... Even if they'd create a computer capable of learning, most of our innate feelings, hate, fear and lust come from our genes... Which the computer would not have.

·
The one and only
3,658 Posts
well depends what you think of as a computer. im sure if its made organic like our brains it will.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
We have a couple in the forums already. I need not name names.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Yes.

Racism will subside when this happens... to be replaced with cyborgism.

·
Banned
303 Posts
My CPU is a neuronet processor, a learning computer

New terminator movie coming out:thumb:Terminator Salvation:thumb:
Christian Bale as john connor

hell yeah

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
It depends first on what your meaning of the term "think" is for starters. I think in the word's most valuable form, some form of self awareness or consciousness (and perhaps even free will as well, if you will) is needed. A computer will never have that. The closest you can get is to imitate that through programming it that way, and it'll then be limited by how good the programming is, so it won't be actually thinking.

·
AI
5,487 Posts
Thinking is an encapsulated concept. The process thus far involves mechanisms beyond what the current levels of science and technology can investigate, and thus the mystery of the unknown provides enough ambiguity to associate with a free mind or an unbound noumenon. What would be of more interest to concern oneself about is whether one would still consider oneself as a free-thinking being or having such type of mind once made aware of what exactly makes the mind tick.

Nonetheless, the ambiguity of what thought is can never be resolved simply by observing the limited expressions seeping through to the environment; a purely mechanical observation sees not of the whole. Consider the mind; it is a closed entity in itself whose sole interactive methodology is through the shell (the body, in its mechanical nature). Observing the shell cannot fully disclose the workings of the mind, the manifestation of something out of the shell. The mental entity functions as an isolated and unobservable set of processes.

That being said, the boundary of what makes up a mind and what makes up the shell is not concrete. If a body of such functionality can be created for a machine, then the mind in itself, despite the pure mechanisms and software in place of flesh and blood would still be unobservable if manifested. So, what makes humans unique?

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
no, there will never be a thinking computer. a computer runs on electricity, not neurons

·
AI
5,487 Posts
no, there will never be a thinking computer. a computer runs on electricity, not neurons
The process in which signals are sent between neurons can theoretically be imitated with other structures as well. Regardless, an organism kingdom-specific component does not denote thought in itself.

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
Guys.. Everything can be emulated. PCsx2 proved that :lol: But really, I don't think human mind is so complex... The chemical processes may be complex, but the concept is not so complicated.

·
One of the most...
953 Posts
Yeah. Someday they will create a computer that works exactly like the human brain: It will have the size of two buildings and the test result will be: "Yar! I now need the PS2 BIOS to run C&C #111!!"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts