Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently there are many different DVD formats on the market (DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, etc.)

One of the factors that is preventing me from getting a DVD recorder is the lack of convergence of the formats. If I get one now, what happens if a single format is developed that is not backwards compatible with the current DVD recorders?

Does anybody know if a single DVD format is being developed or not?

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
no in fact it's going the other way with HDDVD and Blue-Ray discs, if you want a DVD burner buy one that supports every format like mine

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
You can buy a decent burner like mine for a decent price that will burner to every type of dvd out there, including dual layers.....it isn't really that big of a deal.

·
band
4,912 Posts
i hope either HD or Blu-Ray crushes the other completely. otherwise i dunno wut kinda mess we wud be in when we're talking movies and such

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Blu-Ray will come out on Top, there are just too many big name companies joining with them. Plus with the PS3 using Blu-Ray's more consumers will reconginze the name, and will know that it can play them as well.

·
band
4,912 Posts
im thinking there most definitely will be. but just think of the complications when it comes to finding a standard for distributing digital content :S

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Does anybody know if a single DVD format is being developed or not?
Wouldnt that just add to the list of DVD+/-XXX ? :p Every new burner supports all these discs so there isnt really any problem.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
There will never be one format for this generation of DVD's. I think once Bluray and HD-DVD come out, they might make it just one format for each. Like HD-DVD-R and HD-DVD-RW or something along those lines. For now get a multi burner. Yu'll be glad you did. For the most part they are the same price or cheaper than ones that just do one format. Plus, if you find a good deal on DVD+R's and you have a burner that only does DVD-R, than you'll be out of luck. Get my drift :p

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
I read about JVC developing discs with both DL DVD and Blu-Ray data on them but it didn't say HD-DVD. Maybe the same thing will happen with HD and Blu-Ray.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Well this generation of writers has matured to simply DVD+/-R.
All new burners will support both.
HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are a ways off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts