Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
WBFS is wanikoko's own file system for use in his USB backup loader. It's for use on actual Wii hardware.

Why would the dolphin team bother implementing a file system for use with a specific homebrew application? It's 100% pointless.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
"100% Pointless" is a bit extreme :rolleyes:

I'm completely aware of the fact that "It's for use on actual Wii hardware" but nonetheless I'm sure many people would love to have only one drive that would hold all of their wii games and that could be used on both PCs and actual Nintendo Wii consoles. It would be extremely convenient and would save hard drive space as it would avoid redundant copies of the isos.

Even if WBFS was originally designed for Wanikoko's application, it has now become the standard for all current Nintendo Wii loaders. I see no reason why the dolphin team should be reluctant to add WBFS as a feature.

7,022 Posts
It would be better to appeal to wanikoko to add FAT32 or NTFS support to his loader. This way, you're not "wasting" a HDD on Wii/GC images, allowing you to store other files for use in a standard OS.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess thats a valid point, though Wanikoko made his own file system to make it more efficient with the wiidisc file system. I'm sure he could have used FAT/NTFS but opted out only because maybe its easier to create a filesystem tailored specifically to the Wii.

7,022 Posts
To my knowledge, WBFS's biggest difference as compared to FAT32 is the use of larger clusters by default. A HDD can have its cluster sizes changed manually during format to achieve the same effect.

· Registered
379 Posts
I'm sure a lot of you are have heard of the WBFS file system that is used with Nintendo Wii systems to store backup games on external hard drives. Have any of the developers considered adding support for WBFS to Dolphin?
It would be better to appeal to wanikoko to add FAT32 or NTFS support to his loader. This way, you're not "wasting" a HDD on Wii/GC images, allowing you to store other files for use in a standard OS.
I agree with both of you :) I don't understand why they don't use NTFS read-only instead of creating this new Wii Backup File System.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.