Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Prince of Persia
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I"ve been busy with college and so I haven't been home on my computer much. Well yesterday something real wierd happened. My computer took unusually long long time to boot up. It would make like wierd processing noise then it would run. It seemed like to run for a couple seconds then it seem to read my hard drive and my windows processing power would shoot up then go back to normal and back and forth. Also whenever right clicked any image it would make the noise then the menu would appear. I think somethings wrong with my hard drive there is ad ware/ spyware working on my computer. But the spyware/adware shouldn't conflict with the computer while booting, which is very strange why this is happening... Right before finals next week. *sigh*

Would anyone be able to kindly help me one what's wrong with my computer. I would really appreciate it.

-Zapages

· Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
Zapages said:
Hey guys

I"ve been busy with college and so I haven't been home on my computer much. Well yesterday something real wierd happened. My computer took unusually long long time to boot up. It would make like wierd processing noise then it would run. It seemed like to run for a couple seconds then it seem to read my hard drive and my windows processing power would shoot up then go back to normal and back and forth. Also whenever right clicked any image it would make the noise then the menu would appear. I think somethings wrong with my hard drive there is ad ware/ spyware working on my computer. But the spyware/adware shouldn't conflict with the computer while booting, which is very strange why this is happening... Right before finals next week. *sigh*

Would anyone be able to kindly help me one what's wrong with my computer. I would really appreciate it.

-Zapages

Actually Spyware and Adware can affect boot speeds in my experiences. If they use full processing power on boot, everything slows down. Is your HD near capacity? This can sometimes cause slow-downs. Try getting rid of that Adware / Spyware and see if it helps. Also scan for viruses, and check to see if your HD is near capacity. If worst comes to worst just format it.

· Ocean Soul
1,464 Posts
Yes it does affect it, since it has to load in the memory. Try spybot or any other programs to get ride of stuff. Also run msconfig and get rid of any programs you don't need in start up. I have mine down two 3 programs in my tray. In advanced mode in spybot there a thing like msconfig but it tells you what it is, I recommend using that.

· Prince of Persia
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just used Microsoft Antispyware, but to no results. It found 7 items, which I removed. But the problem is still occuring.

My hard drive was almost full before, but I never had this problem. All I did was delete some old Temporary files from my old back up of old hard drive not C:\Document Settings\Person\ to save some space on my computer. The hard drive space was down to 3 gigs, but now I have about 7 gigs... This is very strange it makes this noise and then it processes. It even takes long time to boot up the computer aswell.

*sigh*

I don't want to format as I have too much infomation on this computer.

-Zapages

· Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
Microsoft AntiSpyware is terrible. Go here- http://www.lavasoft.de/

and download the free personal version of Ad-Aware. don't forget to upgrade the definitions.

· Registered
1,828 Posts
If adaware(with updates) does not solve your problem, its possible you have to delete the problem manually from ur registry. Recently i had the same problem and I had to delete the program from the registry in order for it to completely go. Keep in mind that you have to be sure what you are deleting though or else it can mess ur computer up even more.
I use Zonealarm and I regularly delete the registry streams from surfing the internet and i have very occasional problems with my pc...

· Prince of Persia
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Currently I'm defragmenting my hard drive to see, if that would speed things up or not.

Then I'll try the ad-ware. If that doesn't work, I need to see what to do? How would I be able to edit my registry.

I don't usually have problems with my computer, but this is really strange what's going on here lately with my computer. :(

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Just a small sidenote on the Spyware topic: I once had a problem that both Ad-Aware and Spybot weren't able to fix, only Webroot Spysweeper (www.webroot.com) was able to fix it. And I'm still grateful for the member here pointing me out to it. This software also protects your pc notifying you whenever a program has changed registry settings or when something in the booting sequence has been changed.

· Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
Only edit your registry if you have to. But to get into it, go to start>Run and type regedit and hit enter.

O, and Cid, if you pay for Ad-Aware (I have professional) you get Ad-Watch which does the same thing I believe.

· Prince of Persia
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cid Highwind said:
Just a small sidenote on the Spyware topic: I once had a problem that both Ad-Aware and Spybot weren't able to fix, only Webroot Spysweeper (www.webroot.com) was able to fix it. And I'm still grateful for the member here pointing me out to it. This software also protects your pc notifying you whenever a program has changed registry settings or when something in the booting sequence has been changed.
Thanks man. I tried it, but to no avail. I still getting the same problem. It seems that my hard drive is reading for a second and then pauses then continues to process it properly... *sigh*

Nothing is working. *sob* I don't know what's the problem either. :(

· Prince of Persia
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the help guys. I really appreciate it. :)

Here's the list of programs that are running when the computer starts up.

Whenever right click on an icon like a video or music file the computer slows down or went going to program files it slows down again. I don't know what's going on? oO :( ;(

Thank you guys for all this great help. :)

· Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
Just a side note, it is possible for spyware to hide itself from the processes list;and make it look like it isn't affecting your CPU speed.

· The seeker of perfection
4,008 Posts
The normal location of ccapp.exe is: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccapp.exe if it's not in that place then it's a known spyware.
What i notice is that you have tons of useless apps to start up in the beggining, making the bootup process slower. Download regcleaner and on the startup tab try disabling
-quickdcf.exe as it is used for a fuji camera (it will still work as it will be loaded when needed, just check it),
-hpoevm08.exe as it's used for an hp printer (again, it will be loaded when needed),
-hpotdd01.exe is used for digital imaging, an app that won't be needed unless you start it,
-viewmgr.exe used for updating viewpoint media (useless since it can be done manually),
-wrsssdk.exe (unless you are using webroot to protect in realtime your pc, which i doubt, it should be disabled),
-wuauclt.exe. This is windows automatic updates. If you don't need it disable the service right clicking My pc, properties, automatic updates.
-jucheck.exe. This is weird since it checks for updates of java. I have it installed and it never appeared in my pc. If you disable it with regcleaner and it comes back then it's most likely a trojan.
-hpohmr08.exe, again, it will start automatically when needed.
-gcasserv.exe and gcasdtserv.exe This is from the antispyware of Ms. If it doesn't protect your pc in realtime it should be disabled, that's what Norton is for.
I culd not find anything about winbrand.exe but it's a non esential process, so try disabling it and if there is a problem enable it again. Regcleaner will let you do it if you go back to the backup tab, same with the .exes mentiond above.

Ok, ok, i just noted. You don't have your msn icon in the tray, right? There are to worms in your system: msnmsgr.exe and msnmsgs.exe. When you open your msn just one should be there, not 2. Try closing your msn tray icon and see which one remains, that's the virus. Google msnmsgr.exe (or s) and see how to remove it. Its a 32w/gaobot.nnj

Btw, by all means disable realsched. It's for your realplayer but whatever if does it can be done normally without it).

· Registered
1,828 Posts
the files smss.exe and csrss.exe are likely to be trojan files harming your computer. Funnily enough, i had the EXACT same files running on my pc a few days ago and the csrss.exe was slowing my pc down. To get rid of it, search and delete the file from your computer and open your win.ini file and delete the line that runs this program.
BE SURE THAT YOU DELETE THE CORRECT FILE AND LINE.
After I did this, the smss.exe file also went with it.
Keep in mind I am running windows 98 so if anyone feels my action is a bit risky for doin on windows xp , please mention it.

· Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
ViewPoint Media Player and Manager installed on my computer without my knowing once. You might want to get rid of that.

· Ocean Soul
1,464 Posts
Since you said about stuff taht installed itself, beware of Spyaxe. That thing took forever two get ride of where my mom works. I guess it's reall spyware remover but a promotion company made it into a trojan to try to sell the software. Just a warning to everyone.

· Registered
6,829 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
For sure. SpySweeper is great, it saved my life (ok, my pc :p) once before.

Kazuya Mishima said:
What i notice is that you have tons of useless apps to start up in the beggining, making the bootup process slower. Download regcleaner and on the startup tab try disabling
Regcleaner is very good, but for cases like this, I recommend RegSeeker. RegSeeker has several options for cleaning.

Zapages, I would recommend you to use Hijack This. It will blow the badwares in your computer is infected certainly. The only thing against Hijack This is because it doesn't not recognize what is a good registry entry or not. You must be careful while using it, but I'm sure you'll do it right.
Remember to use Hijack This and the suggested SpySweeper in Safe Mode. The result will become more effectly.

Yet about registry: If I was you, I would not touch the registry with my hands - just clean it with Regcleaner or RegSeeker.
Good luck in your spy-hunting ;)

· From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Viewpoint actually comes from AIM (took me a while to figure that one out as it kept coming back when I removed it). It's not really heavy on resources or anything.

Aside from removing things, when you notice the CPU usage spiking, double click the word CPU in the column and it'll arrange the processes in order. The topmost process will be the likely culprit, so that's a good way to find out what's causing this.

Another thing to do is to stop anything from loading on startup (aside from drivers, anti-virus programs, and firewalls). Type in "msconfig" and go to the startup tab and disable things. Make sure you know what you're disabling though (this won't delete them mind you, just stop them from running on startup).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.