Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It just seems easier to make a config file in the epsxe directory so that all your settings are stored there instead of the registry where, if you reinstall windows, will just be deleted and you have to reconfigure everything over again.. With some other emus, non psx, they use config files.. I partitioned my 40 gig harddrive into two harddrives.. I installed windows on one and keep all games and emus on the other.. Now when I reinstall windows, the other emus don't lose their configurations but epsxe does because it saves it's configuration in the registry..

NOw can someone tell my why its better to keep the configuration in the registry? I think it's just a compatibility issue with the psempro pluggin system.. But maybe it's something else..

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
Well iirc in 32-bit windows, INI files are supported for backward compatibility, but programmers are discouraged from using them (for whatever reason.. :eyes: ) and 32-bit apps should store config setting in the registry instead. Maybe this is a reason, although imho using a private INI is just as good as using the registry to store info..

·
Registered
462 Posts
The question we all ask ourselves, why do programs use the windows registry? I can't think of a single good reason either, it makes things more difficult when you reinstall, and after you install a lot of programs on your system, the registry gets so bloated that you are forced to reinstall again! Why Microsoft decided to curse us with the Windows registry we'll never know.

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
actually using the registry to store info has advantages, one being because the info is centralised and global, it is easier for applications to access it. The info is also hierarchical when using the registry, INI files have a maximum file size.. and yadi yada.. hehe :p

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Idiot users are less likely to delete the registry than the ini file. Idiot users are less likely to mess up the registry than an ini file. Or at least that is what one hopes ...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think it's safe to say that most Windows users don't even know how to access the registry, much less edit it, whereas .ini files can be mistaken for "useless" and deleted. Therefore, using the reg means that n00bs are much less likely to mess up their emu. So there is the security issue. However, using the ini system has some great advantages, like being able to share configs over the 'net (even though you can pretty much do this with ePSXeCutor).

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even if config ini's are deleted, they get created again when running the emulator again.. It's sorta a way to reset all configurations back to defaults.. So its not as bad as registry keys getting deleted..

I checked FireGl's suggestion but it seems you can only export a configuration for one game at a time.. It would be nice to be able to export them all into a single reg file so I can just import all the games and their settings at once.. Even with the export options in executor, you still need to configure epsxe game pads over again when reinstalling windows.. I didn't have to do anything with other emulators which used ini files.. Why the registry again??

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Schädelkeks
you could use the export option of regedit to save your config. After reinstall just one double click on the file, and you have them back.
Oh yeah.. Thanks!! That is way better.. Now I can save the epsxe configs and have them back after reinstall with a few clicks.. I suggest everyone do this so a reinstall of windows won't have you configuring epsxe all over again.. Well, if you have 2 harddrives or 2 partitions..

·
Registered
874 Posts
Well, you can store all kind of infos in the registry (numbers, text and even binary data), and in an INI file you can only store numbers and text. And yes, some plugins need to store raw binary data.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts