Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i havent seen anyone mention this, so i'm asking:

why do we have a different memcard format for everything??

VGS, bleem!, ePSXe, maybe other emus I'm not sure, all have their own memcard formats. not to mention the dexdrive format, and i think even one of the memcard managers has it's own format.

Isn't it a simple data file... Do we need 5 formats (or more)?
perhaps some of the emu coders, or people like Aldo, can tell me.

Maybe things would be easier if we all stick to one. If possible, I think Dexdrive format would be a good choice for the universal format, as real PSX players can only save their memcards to that one, and consequently that's the format they use on those save game websites.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think they should make a univeral format also... I mean... I don't really mind converting them with a MEM CARD converter... but it still pisses me off when I go to play a game and rememeber its on my other memory card !

S

·
0 Posts
Okay, I've discovered a simple way to take of the mem card issue.
I simply go to VGS, create a blank mem card w/the name of the game I want, copy it to ePSXe's mem cards folder and thats it.
You put the card in slot 1 or slot 2, play your game and save your saves on to that card. If you switch games, you can always switch cards. This works very well for me. I now know where all my save games are.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the explanation aldo!

but that makes it more questionable why anyone didn't use an existing format and invented their own instead :eyes:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Maybe they were trying to save space so they didn't include that tiny little header. That is assuming that the DexDrive created the first PC format of the PSX memcard. I think that's right, unless PSemuPro beat them to it.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Originally posted by takwu
thanks for the explanation aldo!

but that makes it more questionable why anyone didn't use an existing format and invented their own instead :eyes:
The same question could be applied to image files(bmp, jpg,etc), word processor files (doc, pdf, rtf,etc), speadsheets, (excel, lotus). In fact practically every type that you can think of has a duplicate format somewhere. The reason is simple. The programmers see the need for it. Sometimes its for copyright reasons, others its because of inherent limitations of existing formats,sometimes its due to inherent limitations of the os (in the case of .htm this is so win 3.1 can open the file as it cannot recogise .html extension), finally sometimes (as in this case) its because the different authors just decided on different naming conventions (they are all independent you know).

Really its not too big of a problem, after all we have Aldo don't we? :D

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Betamax,
I meant specifically for the memcard formats.

I don't think we can really compare those... the image formats each have their own compression algorithm. the document formats have completely different features, sizes, and style*. The bottom line is, you cannot convert every possible file of one format to another perfectly (i.e. without losing data).

*by style i mean the style of the format, e.g. html uses tags

As I mentioned before, the memcard is a simple data file, and as Aldo explained, they're all the same except for the header.

I don't think it's copyright reasons either... can you really copyright a file format? If you could how can memcard converters such as Aldo's get away with it?

I would think it's another marketing thing associated with commercial products. bleem! and VGS (maybe DexDrive too?) each registers their memcard extension as their own, so when the user sees that file in explorer, he/she can immediately identify them as the files used by the specific emulator.

As for the non-commercial programs, probably PSEmu Pro started their own format, and thankfully no more emulator started another one, I think.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Which is exactly what I said. The authors of the individual graphics files saw the need for a different compression algorithms, as the existing algorithms were not suitible for the tasks that they were trying to achieve. The authors of the document files saw the need for new markup features to help improve the quality of the documents that the program could create. The same could be said of the dexdrive header... the authors saw a the need to include one to add functionality to the dexdrive.

You can actually copyright a file format eg pdf file format is copyright of adobe. This is why you need acrobat to view/edit these files.

I think you misinterupted my post. What I was trying to say is that there are so many different formats because:

a) All the programmers are not working together and henece developed their own naming conventions
b) In the cases where there are differences the programmers saw the need for extra functionality like is the case for most other file types.

I then went on to examine various reasons as to why they might see the need in general. As I am not one of the emu developers this was all specuation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Because , my friend, all the consoles manufacturers want to keep their customers as hostages.
Why so many cars manufaturers with incompatible parts? why so many plumbing adapters? why Beta and VHS video standards and the list goes on and on :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts