Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People, I always loved the saturn but I see the emu scene poorly interested in the emulation of that great console. we have more than five great PSX Emulators, but I haven't seen any SATURN emulator that runs fine. I think the saturn was a great console, I personally own one, and a couple of games that I like (Resident evil, Tomb Raider). I must note also, that there are a couple of Games (RPG's Mostly) that where avaliable for the SATURN and not for any other console, that make it worth the effort to create one!!! I personally don't know a lot about programing, so I can't bother emu's authors about that!! but, well, thats my point of view!!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I have to disagree... while the interest in Saturn Emu is definitely not as high as PSX emu (after all, the system died quite early), but the main issue here is not of interest. AFAIK, the Saturn is difficult to emulate and hard to code for, mainly because Sega was pretty stingy with documentation and specs for the Saturn......

So just give it a bit more time..... I personally love the Saturn, and on paper, it is a superior console compared to the PSX.... but... well, just wait and see :)

S

·
0 Posts
I had heard that the Sega CD and Sega Saturn were two of the hardest systems to emulate. This was because of the reasons that Kairi00 stated, lack of information from Sega. But now, the Sega Cd is being emulated a lot better as authors figure out what to do. So since the Sega CD is coming along so nicely, I would say that it is only a matter of time before the Sega Saturn follows suit.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
965 Posts
Lack of info is not the reason, I have a plethora of Saturn documentation myself.

It is lack of interest (most mindless drones think the saturn is a pile of shit), and simply difficulty.. It's hard to get both CPUs in sync, and emulating anything at a decent speed is even harder..

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
A lack of interest in making a saturn emu creates a lack of interest from emu fans.. I am pretty sure its only a matter of time until a good saturn emu comes out.. And when that does, you will notice a huge surge in saturn emulation interest.. But until then, Sega Cd emulation is here.. And the interest in that is also rising..

Of course I am sure most people would like to see a good saturn emu created, as am I, but the current state of Sega Saturn emulation leaves much to be desired..

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
i guess you can say that, an emulator for it coming out just when their games have gone the way of eight-track tapes....but i guess the plus side here is, you can get the games dirt-cheap now at eBay. :p

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Dual processor systems are hard to emulate period. I don't know if SegaCD was one of them but the only 3 I can think of are Satrun,3DO and PS2.

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
I don't get it....was WAS the point of CPU timing anyway? Why was it so hard to synch up?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fivefeet8 you are right, the lack of interest in the emu comunity starts on the coders. But I dont't like that, because when there is too much interest in something, then the people starts a competition to win, nobody want to lose, and I think that's bad for every all, because the nobody share info, and that kind of things. I really liked when the SNES emu starts to kick ass!! All started, and nobody share anything, but at the end, we saw how the emu authors helped each other, and the results are outstanding... well Asz it's certainly true what you say about more than 2 processors system being hard to emulate... just look at the SNES!!!!

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
What about the 3DO
i remember playing something on it
but i dont remember, long time ago
was it a good system, like powerfull???
there are good games for it??

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
In fact Saturn some good games , it had good RPG's , also had Langrisser 3,4and 5 if i'm not mistaken ! The all time favorit Sonic , and the Legendary Shining Force and Panzer Dragoon Saga !

·
Registered
44 Posts
I guess that I'll just have to wait a hell of a lot longer, till I can play Afterburner, Outrun, Space Harrier and Revenge of Shinobi then :-(

there's always SEGA System16 arcade emu, but it doesn't have the soundtracks that made the game what they are :( boo hoo!

S

·
0 Posts
uhm, after burner (which is not system 16 btw) is emulated very well by final burn.

S

·
0 Posts
and the cdi, saturn, jaguar and 3do are probably not emulated due to lack difficulty and lack of interest. After all, they never were too popular.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Yes and no with Saturn. It was an abysmal failure in the United States and quite successful in Japan. Hmm...now where does the best emulator hail from? You guessed it, Japan. I do concur on your points about emulation being done from interest, Samor. Hence why we have yet to see serious interest in the systems you mentioned. Most people don't take the time and effort to code an emulator for a system they don't particularly care for.

S

·
0 Posts
yep, and I think the lack of saturn emus is also explained by the relatively small number of japanese people interested in emulation...I mean, there are japanese emulators but the scene's MUCH bigger in the west.

·
Registered
965 Posts
After Burner is not emulated 'very well' by final burn..

The emulation is /far/ from accurate, including an incorrectly mapped mathbox..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Originally posted by CD
After Burner is not emulated 'very well' by final burn..

The emulation is /far/ from accurate, including an incorrectly mapped mathbox..
That's too bad. Afterburner is really a pretty good game for its age. What year was that released anyway? 80 something wasn't it, or does it just seem that long ago?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts