Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another Dolphin site forum I asked about getting Silent Hill Shattered Memories working on Dolphin… and with alot of help from a member there I now have it working perfect! Thanks to you if by chance you're here too and am reading this Big Grin

Just one thing though… I can’t help it, I just so much prefer having my games as icons on my desktop and double-clicking on them to run them just like they were PC games. For years I did this by entering the following into a new shortcut and it always worked no issues at all…

(Path to dolphin.exe) -b -e (path to ISO)

However now that I’ve upgraded from Dolphin 5.0 to 5.0-10993 (that’s how I got SH SM working) every time now when I try to launch from the icon I made, I get audio but no picture whatsoever (like not black screen… I mean I continue to see my desktop and then the audio of the game comes on, but no picture whatsoever)

When that happens, most times pressing Esc still brings up the “Do you really want to stop the current emulation”… however sometimes it doesn’t, which leaves me no choice but to restart my PC… at which time it always comes up with something interesting and perhaps could have something to do with this (or maybe not – I am NOT tech savvy at all) – “Confirm is preventing you from restarting. Proceed anyway?”

My PC specs (incase needed)

Operating System : Windows 10 Home x64
SSD : Samsung 960 Evo M.2 250GB NVMe
Motherboard : ASRock Z390 Pro4
CPU : i5-9400F @ 2.9GHz
GPU : Gigabyte GTX1060 G1 Gaming
RAM : 16GB (DDR4)
Power Supply : Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 600W 80+ Gold

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,494 Posts
I'm on Dolphin x64 5.0 Revision 10945. Works fine. This release has been very stable for me.

Revisions are typically considered unstable and bugs are to be expected.

BTW - press Ctrl + Shift + ESC to bring up Task Manager to force close problematic programs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm on Dolphin x64 5.0 Revision 10945. Works fine. This release has been very stable for me.

Revisions are typically considered unstable and bugs are to be expected.

BTW - press Ctrl + Shift + ESC to bring up Task Manager to force close problematic programs.
I have 3 Wii/Gamecube games all up (SH SM, Luigi's Mansion and House Of The Dead Overkill) and after also giving me the best settings to enter in (that person who helped me out)... tbh i now want to use this version for all 3 because this version urinates all over 5.0!! All 3 of them look stunning on my 4K tv... but the feature i love the most is now i don't have to manually pair my Wiimote(s) every single time (what i used to do is have the Dolphin exe pinned to my taskbar, open that first and it was always a pain in the ass having to keep pressing and 1 and 2 buttons with my thumb in one hand over and over while pressing the "continuous scan" tab with my mouse with my other hand over and over until it finally paired... and then i would double click my desktop icon)

Now i see Dolphin has FINALLY made a permanent pairing ability :D:D:D I just paired my Wiimotes to my PC once and it remembers now... so no more having to do that crap. Now i just run the game right away, press the 1 and 2 buttons on the Wiimote once and it scans by itself a few times and just automatically pairs :) Even remembers which is Wiimote 1 and which is 2 ;) Was so annoying the old way of doing it.

Anyway, that other person mentioned something about making sure "both windows power plan and nvidia power plan are set to high performance"... whatever that means. Could that have something to do with it?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,494 Posts
Anyway, that other person mentioned something about making sure "both windows power plan and nvidia power plan are set to high performance"... whatever that means. Could that have something to do with it?
I highly doubt it. The Windows Power Performance Plans don't affect your PC like that. Mostly they tune which idles states your PC uses to consume less power and when to turn off the screen and sleep. Obviously, these features are mostly needed for laptop users, so desktops should generally be set to "High Performance".

To do this:

1. Press Win + X and select Settings. (Win is the "Windows Key"; the one with the Microsoft logo.)
2. Select System
3. Select Power and Sleep from the left hand menu.
4. Select Additional Power Settings on the far right main window.
5. Select the High Performance profile. (Note that you may have to click a button or link to unlock the ability to even allow you to change the profile. Also, the High Performance profile may be under an "Additional Settings" tab.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I highly doubt it. The Windows Power Performance Plans don't affect your PC like that. Mostly they tune which idles states your PC uses to consume less power and when to turn off the screen and sleep. Obviously, these features are mostly needed for laptop users, so desktops should generally be set to "High Performance".

To do this:

1. Press Win + X and select Settings. (Win is the "Windows Key"; the one with the Microsoft logo.)
2. Select System
3. Select Power and Sleep from the left hand menu.
4. Select Additional Power Settings on the far right main window.
5. Select the High Performance profile. (Note that you may have to click a button or link to unlock the ability to even allow you to change the profile. Also, the High Performance profile may be under an "Additional Settings" tab.
Just did exactly what you said and it made no difference whatsoever. Would it be maybe something in the Nvidia settings? I have a paid yearly subscription to Advanced Systemcare Ultimate and it has a full system scanner (registry errors, left-over files, de-fragmentation etc.) and it also comes with Driver Booster which scans all your drivers and lets you know if they're up to date. Run several scans with both and as far i know my System is fine and all drivers up to date... but i'm the biggest tech-noob you'll ever meet so i'll ask that anyway cause buggered if i know lol.

Also can i just ask something... can you try the desktop shortcut icon with your version and please tell me if you get just audio or both audio and video? Also is there really much difference at all between your version and the one i listed? Because if your's works and has that permanent pair feature, then i might aswell just use your version instead. Cheers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just did exactly what you said and it made no difference whatsoever. Would it be maybe something in the Nvidia settings? I have a paid yearly subscription to Advanced Systemcare Ultimate and it has a full system scanner (registry errors, left-over files, de-fragmentation etc.) and it also comes with Driver Booster which scans all your drivers and lets you know if they're up to date. Run several scans with both and as far i know my System is fine and all drivers up to date... but i'm the biggest tech-noob you'll ever meet so i'll ask that anyway cause buggered if i know lol.

Also can i just ask something... can you try the desktop shortcut icon with your version and please tell me if you get just audio or both audio and video? Also is there really much difference at all between your version and the one i listed? Because if your's works and has that permanent pair feature, then i might aswell just use your version instead. Cheers.
Just remembered something mate... as i said what you suggested did nothing, but it did bring up that blue warning screen "Windows prevented this app from running" (or however it goes... you know where you then have to click on "Learn More" and then finally "Run Anyway"?) I'm pretty sure i didn't do that when i first tried with my version (can't remember exactly, but don't think i did) Would that explain the mystery "Confirm" that keeps coming up when i hit restart?

Your version worked great after i did that... so how do i now set it so my PC knows my version is ok to run? (I have a portable txt file in both folders i put these versions in, so they're not interacting with each other... just incase that is of any use) Or if i can't do that, again as i said, is there really any major difference between your version and mine?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,494 Posts
Just remembered something mate... as i said what you suggested did nothing, but it did bring up that blue warning screen "Windows prevented this app from running" (or however it goes... you know where you then have to click on "Learn More" and then finally "Run Anyway"?) I'm pretty sure i didn't do that when i first tried with my version (can't remember exactly, but don't think i did) Would that explain the mystery "Confirm" that keeps coming up when i hit restart?
Yes, that could be what's causing the problem. Windows is probably supposed to pop up with that confirmation, but doesn't allow it to pop up and partially blocks Dolphin from running when you use the shortcuts.

Not sure why Windows is blocking it unless it thinks that revision of Dolphin is a virus. Try right-clicking on your revision of Dolphin and choose 'Properties' and see if there is an option to disable the security check under one of the tabs.

I always run my copies of Windows with the most minimum of security measures because Windows' security is garbage and causes odd, off-the-wall problems in many rare use cases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts