Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to get the Playstation emulator to run on my Windows 10, and I'm having a really hard time. Gameplay is quite choppy, and the sound has hiccups. It's weird because I used to be able to run ePSXe emulator just fine on this laptop when I had Windows7. I know it can't be my PC requirements (even though I have a slow laptop), because I've been able to run it just fine when it was still Windows7.

But being the idiot that I am, I upgraded to Windows10 without doing much research, and now every game is unplayable. I'm using ePSXe 1.9.25.
I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I was wondering if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciae any help!

This is so frustrating that I'm even willing to revert back to Windows7 just to be able to play these games properly again. I'm very willing to do this, but I need to know: Do I lose any of my files when I revert back to Windows7 from Windows10? I have a bunch of family videos, photos, and a lot of them are quite long. I don't have enough space to fit it all into my 8GB removable USB. If I revert back to Windows7, will I lose these files during the process?

Please let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
first off, upgrade to epsxe 2.0.5 (Make sure to check x1 in options cpu overclock) and also list your laptop specs (Cpu, video card, etc...)... if it ran fine on windows 7 it should run fine on windows 10

·
Registered
38 Posts
Using ePSXe 2.0.5 with windows 10 in a virtual machine works just fine for me.

Did you choose the same plugins on win7 and win10 ?
I noticed that the "internal core GPU" plugin is quite slow with certain games.
If that's the one you're using, maybe you should try the "Pete OpenGL2 GPU core 2.0.0" plugin instead.

Other than that, the new version of the emulator (2.0.5) has a "CPU mode" setting. Make sure to choose Dynarec, it's faster than Interpreter.
And as dpence said, don't forget to check the "1x" overclocking mode in the emulator (nothing's checked by default, which makes the emulator crash, because of a "division by zero" error).

If it's still too slow, maybe the problem comes from something else. Do your "normal" PC games work fine with windows 10 ? If not, might be a driver problem.

·
deep-space demon
349 Posts
This is so frustrating that I'm even willing to revert back to Windows7 just to be able to play these games properly again. I'm very willing to do this, but I need to know: Do I lose any of my files when I revert back to Windows7 from Windows10? I have a bunch of family videos, photos, and a lot of them are quite long. I don't have enough space to fit it all into my 8GB removable USB. If I revert back to Windows7, will I lose these files during the process?

Please let me know, thanks!
Before you do anything, check the above posts.

There is a setting where you could revert back to windows 7, if you recently upgraded to windows 10. Check Update and Security in control panel and you might find it in backup section. There should be a button that says "Revert to windows 7" or something like that, can't remember. You can google it.
Your files and applications will be unaffected.

If you upgraded a long time ago, Windows automatically deletes the old Windows 7 install, and instead you will see this screen:
Capture.PNG

In this case, unless you have windows 7 backed up, you will have to install a fresh copy of windows 7 and this could mean formatting your hard drive, losing all of your data.
Alternatively, you can reset your pc in the recovery section and see if that clears any problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
first of -sorry to post in a dead thread, but I just can't find solution to my problem anywhere and this is the only thread I've found. so...
I was running epsxe 2.0.5. with internal GPU core 2.0.0 plugin (I just find it more pretty-looking than any other) on Win7 and it was ok. but then I got better pc and Win10, but epsxe just start lagging and sounds chopping in every game I've tried to play.

In Spyro2 for example it just won't go beyond "press start" screen bc picture just stops (sorry no vid provided) and when I use load state, it's just back to the problem with lags & chops.
But the point is that it's only happens with GPU core 2.0.0 plugin, and it's ok with others (Bladesoft for example runs as it was, using the old version of it tho).

so, what I ask is everyone have this problem on their Win10 x64? or just me?
bc since I can't find any info on that, it seems that only I have this problem and it has something to do w/ my computer setup, or win settings... dunno.
have a great day! in any case. thanks ;)

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,449 Posts
Options -> CPU Overclocking: is it set to 1x?

Also it's difficult to help folks without information like PC specs, ALL plugins used, and (particularly) your graphics plugin settings. (post a screenshot to make it easier)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
windows 10, make sure game mode/dvr is OFF (google it)
I;ve seen systems go from 40fps to 60+ just by turning it off

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for tip about game mode and bg recording (it's all turned off now). still new to win10, didn't know it's turned on by default.
system is really start working better, but it doesn't help with epsxe gpu core plugin issue.

as for my epsxe settings -it's on defaults.
only core plugins, bios -scph1001. cpu overclocking -x1, cpu mode -dynarec, gte hacks -subpixel ON
of course I've tried changing those settings but it has no effect on the problem, the only solution is using different GPU plugin. bc gpu core 2.0.0 doesn't work correctly on my win10 (but was running smoothly on win7).
Annotation 2019-11-08 082455.jpg
Annotation 2019-11-08 081709.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
ok, so I somehow managed to get rid of visual problems (don't know what exactly helped, sorry) and for audio problem the solution was this:
https://www.ngemu.com/threads/epsxe-2-0-5-has-video-and-sound-hiccups.199017/post-2729007
followed the instruction how to install this dsound thingy and epsxe with gpucore 2.0.0 plugin start working smoothly.

still don't know why I needed this dll. I mean I've already have installed directx and visual c++ but apparently it wasn't enough. dunno.
anyway, thank you guys for ur help. very appreciated!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
actually, did you install dx9?? even with windows 10 you need to....probably lacked the proper dsound files for smooth audio

1 - 12 of 12 Posts