Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont have any concrete research done on this one( yes unlike 99 percent of people i research and find the facts before i say"OH XBOX IS SHITE ps2 IS 10 times more powerful" and other bullshit like that.) now the xbox has the power of a p3 750 processor and a 300mhz graphics card and so on.. that doesnt mean its just gong to work with no fukin problems!!!!! considerin firstly the power of it, its gonna take like a p7 before we even get anywhere with it,like 10fps).

now there is this "grinch" coming out which is supposed to emulate the ps2, but im afraid i have to just say this is ****in bullshit, thie dude said he will have a beta version ready in 10 months 10 yrs more like it, u need a hell of a lot more time than 10 months, and he also said this is a brand new project with no previous work done, if you really want a ps2 that much go buy 1!

im gettin an xbox myself, but ofcourse there is gonna be good games on the ps2(well eventually) im just not gonna waste 200 quid in order to play 1 or 2 games.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
It'll be easier to emulate because the components are more similar to the PC. The complexity of the PS2 doesn't help matters any. We'll probably see a working PS2 emulator before an X-box one, but that's just a guess on my part.

> now there is this "grinch" coming out which is supposed to emulate the ps2, but im afraid i have to just say this is ****in bullshit, thie dude said he will have a beta version ready in 10 months 10 yrs more like it, u need a hell of a lot more time than 10 months, and he also said this is a brand new project with no previous work done

I could claim I'm doing a PS2 emulator. Doesn't mean anything. You have to be smarter than the hoaxes (which this one probably is. I'd say definitely is, but there's always a possibility it's real. Then again, there's also the possibility that I'll win the lottery and live in luxury for the rest of my life).

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Well... It's not only how much more powerful the ps2 and xbox is from each other.. IMO.. The Xbox has more polygonal pushing power.. But the xbox is more easier to emulate simply because its designed more like a PC system.. Now the ps2 is technically very different from a PC which is why it would be harder to emulate..

Same goes for all the older consoles.. They were technically similar to PC's and/or vastly weaker than PC's.. The ps2 is not just powerful, it is designed with a different type of system in mind.. Bigger bandwidth, smaller caches.. Pc's use smaller bandwidths, larger caches.. How do you emulate a 80 gig memory bandwidth on 3 to 4 gig memory bandwidth? That is the main bottleneck of Ps2 emulation.. Is there a way to deal with the 80 gig bandwidth of the ps2 on a 2.7 gig bandwidth system? Maybe there is, but it would probably be unplayably slow.. Even if you had a super high end computer.. No matter how much more powerful your computer is from the ps2, it would still need to emulate or atleast deal with the huge 80 gig memory bandwidth of the ps2 which with current pc memory bandwidth isn't possible or extremely difficult..

The xbox is very powerful, but it uses Pc parts.. All you would need is parts similar to the specs of the xbox or specs that are more powerful.. I am not saying that emulation of the xbox is easy mind you.. Emulation is hard in itself.. Maybe HLE with xbox emulation?

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Hmmm

You will always get fanboys saying one system is better then another..bla bla bla

Xbox is basically a PC...It's structure is basically PC..and it's Windows based which makes it easier from programmers to program (one of the things they boast about)...as far as emulation goes...because it is basically a PC by structure..we believe it will be strongly used to port other console emulation....now as far as it being emulated..well it could be easier to emulate then the PS2...Anyone who has ever tried Connectix Virtual PC (same guys who made VGS) knows that full working components of a PC can be emulated (Drives / Operating system /graphic cards / etc)...It wouldn't be difficult to duplicate this for Xbox (probably would need a good PC though)...

PS2 is a different story altogether... The system uses a Co-processor...and trying to emulate dual processors has been no easy task.... It is the year 2001..and we are just starting to see signs of Sega CD emulation nearly 9 years later...Sega Saturn which also used 2 dual Hitachi processors is showing faint signs of emulation as well....So needless to say the "grinch" fellow is indeed full of shite..

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Sorry fivefeet8,but theorically(sp?)the PS2 has more "polygonal pushing power" than the Xcrap;) .

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yes, but the fellows at Connectix also know a flaw in the x86 architecture prevents it from emulating itself at a reasonable level of speed.

OTOH, The PPC is self-virtualizing, so the GC wouldn't be ridiculously hard to emulate on a high-end Mac.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
why emulate it?

think about lxrun and wine

I guess that the best try to have Xbox games on PC is just wrap up the api calls and just use the x86 real processor

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The emulation of Xbox is way more easyer then the one of a PS2 !
Xbox uses a Nvidia Chip , na Intel Processor , etc !!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
basically all thats needed to be emulated it the OS (or Bios) X-Box will use for the games. Everything else is directly PC and wouldn't need to be emulated.
as far as performance, I'd think a standarad Duron or Athlon 900Mhz or higher would due nicely with a decent video card or heck even a geforce 3... I mean which is the better investment?? $300 for a geforce 3 upgrade on a PC or an X-box for $400?
I'd take the geforce 3 and emulate the x-box...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WHU HA HA HA ! dude, its a****in p3 750 procesor with a 300mhz graphics card, no matter how easyit is supposedly is to emulate, u r still gonna need ahell of a lot better than the normal specs!

·
Registered
310 Posts
lu_zero is right it would be harder to make an emulator and emulate another x86 which you already have(your PC) which like CD said would have a flaw of slow emulation. it would be better if you make an interpreter for API calls of an Xbox game an tranlate them to those that your PC can use, in this way it is just like playing a PC game

·
Registered
965 Posts
Originally posted by dpence
basically all thats needed to be emulated it the OS (or Bios) X-Box will use for the games. Everything else is directly PC and wouldn't need to be emulated.
as far as performance, I'd think a standarad Duron or Athlon 900Mhz or higher would due nicely with a decent video card or heck even a geforce 3... I mean which is the better investment?? $300 for a geforce 3 upgrade on a PC or an X-box for $400?
I'd take the geforce 3 and emulate the x-box...
Umm, hello, UMA anyone?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FACT is its stil not going to be easy at all to emulate it, its still gonna take yrs of hard work and a ****in ***** of a computer! it is not going to"Do nicely on an athlon 900", i reckon ur gonna need at least a p4 2.5ghz with something better than the current graphics card, but like i said i havnt done any concrete research on this one, been to busy workin

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and before you say something utterly stupid, for al we knw its intel chip could be verrrrrryyyyyyyyy different to any previous ones( very possible) and even if it was the exact same chip, REMEMBER(or maybe you are only just finding out) te x86 cant emulate itself at a good speed, you need something MUCH MUCH more powerful than the specs you are tryin to emulate

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Originally posted by lister2020
FACT is its stil not going to be easy at all to emulate it, its still gonna take yrs of hard work and a ****in ***** of a computer! it is not going to"Do nicely on an athlon 900", i reckon ur gonna need at least a p4 2.5ghz with something better than the current graphics card, but like i said i havnt done any concrete research on this one, been to busy workin
umm, not being easy to emulate is NOT a fact. the only Facts we have here are the specs of the Xbox and the fact that we really know NOTHING about how its going to emulate.

·
Registered
310 Posts
>i reckon ur gonna need at least a p4 2.5ghz with something better than the current graphics card

Xbox only uses a very modified version of GeForce 2 and is NOT more powerful that the GeForce 3!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts