Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this has been asked before, but I'm usually horrible at searching, so please, if you can spare your time, bare with me.

I know this PS2 emulator can't completely run any games yet, except possibly hand-made games, but I'm more interested as to why it can't? It would make some sense to say that if a game can reach the game menu, it can reach beyond that. What is preventing the games from running? Is it lack of information (and thus missing features)?
And what about the slow framerates, why is it so slow? Is the PS2 emulator just doing interpretation or are is it JITing (like it should ;) )? If it's just interpreting I can see why it would be slow. Interpretors just plain don't work any more, so if that's the case, why isn't JITing done yet (right from the get-go)?

I'm just interested :) Looks like the emulator has been under work for 3 years now, I'd figure it'd be able to do quite a bit by now, but I'm not an emulation expert.
But I hope that one day it ends up like ePSXe. ePSXe works pretty darn well in my experience. It takes tweaking for every game, but it works.

Oh, one more thing. How can I contribute to the development of this emulator? Like I said, I'm not an expert in emulation, I only have a rudimentry knowledge of console emulation (I explored NES emulation awhile back), but I do develop C/C++ apps so I can do the coding, if I know what needs to be done. Anything to get FFX running soon ;)

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
DING DING DING. You won a prize... A moderater will bring it to you shortly!

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Morrog said:
I know this PS2 emulator can't completely run any games yet, except possibly hand-made games, but I'm more interested as to why it can't? It would make some sense to say that if a game can reach the game menu, it can reach beyond that. What is preventing the games from running? Is it lack of information (and thus missing features)?
Yes :p. Whilst I confess that I don't understand the inner workings much there's quite a few fundemential features still missing. Most obvious being in game movies and (until recently) memcards. Now if you look at your average ps2 game normally the first thing that comes up is usually an intro video ;) or checking for the presence of a memcard. So it's not too suprising that things start going pear shaped after you press new game on the menu ;). BTW this is just an example, there are probably other more important details that I am unaware of :p.

And what about the slow framerates, why is it so slow? Is the PS2 emulator just doing interpretation or are is it JITing (like it should ;) )? If it's just interpreting I can see why it would be slow. Interpretors just plain don't work any more, so if that's the case, why isn't JITing done yet (right from the get-go)?
Both. There is an interpreter and a dynarec mode for the core. Obviously the dynarec is much quicker having been done in assembly rather than c. However it is much harder to try and develop/test just using a dynarec alone. Hence most things get tried in interpreter first (to my knowledge), then moved into the dynarec as things progress.

However that said, emulating a 128 bit MIPS III processor, along with the emotion engine, SPU2 and other nobbly bits on a single lowly 32 bit processor is gonna take some serious horsepower, so slowness is not surprising. Eg// to emulate the 32 bit 33mhz MIPS chip in the original psx took at least a 32 bit 350mhz pc. Extrapolating from that to the 300 mhz 128 bit ps2 and you'd need a 6 ghz 64 bit pc to get similar performance. Although that said, that may prove to be poor analogy, but it gets the general point across.

I'm just interested :) Looks like the emulator has been under work for 3 years now, I'd figure it'd be able to do quite a bit by now, but I'm not an emulation expert.
But I hope that one day it ends up like ePSXe. ePSXe works pretty darn well in my experience. It takes tweaking for every game, but it works.
The rule of thumb is that things normally reach playable levels around the time the console becomes obsolete, ie in this case when the ps3 comes out.

Oh, one more thing. How can I contribute to the development of this emulator? Like I said, I'm not an expert in emulation, I only have a rudimentry knowledge of console emulation (I explored NES emulation awhile back), but I do develop C/C++ apps so I can do the coding, if I know what needs to be done. Anything to get FFX running soon ;)
Well it is open source. Go have a look at the code, read some of the dev docs and if you come up with something dicuss it with the authors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Betamax, that was very helpful.
I have the sourcecode downloaded, I guess I'll go poke around it later today.

An interesting note: I know GPUs aren't ready for it yet, and only the latest ones come close to meeting what is needed, but it would be interesting to see parts of the PS2 emulated using the GPU, i.e. use pixel/vertex programs to do some of the work. The GPU is quite comparable in power to the CPU of any console, I'd imagine. Just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts