Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

My experience with both epsxe and pcsx is that recording the video has a negative effect usually only on the audio. But stutter and lag can also happen.
it's peculiar that the most affected part of the game seems to be essentially a still image with music (CDDA I think) playing:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_TP-IoSPoA8Lt5svs08GVPkrQtI7o_Ay

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16mg7r-q3LLWyehh7xPLHzjjdAku1O4RB
The game engine isn't running, the encoder of the screencasting software only needs to encode a still image. Yet the audio turns into a total stuttery horror.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
There are several reasons for poor capture quality. To know:
(a) low processing capacity;
(b) wrong catch options;
(c) conflict between hook libraries and captured application;

it is important first to know: without any recording instrument the emulation is fluid? without problems?
if not, you need to fix emulation first.
if so, you must correct the multimedia capture.

You may need to change the capture program, you may need to change the capture options. Namely, the best during capture is having HIGH BITRATE. Many people mistakenly believe that less bitrate carries less computational cost, however, it's just the other way around.

Use codecs and containers suitable for game scenarios like FLV, x264, mp3, aac or aac-lc.

Use CANVAS and OUTPUT with the same capture resolution to avoid image resizing at recording time.

Use smaller capture framerate. Typically, 24 or 30 fps are sufficient for capturing 3D games. Older games such as SNES make use of false transparency at 60 fps by reversing image between even and odd frames. In this case, you need to capture at 60 fps. However, it's good to know, it almost never makes sense to capture at rate greater than 60 fps.

Settings for offline recording and for live streaming are different. Know this.

I use OBS-Studio for recording and transmission.
https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/releases

There are some difficulties involving OBS-Studio and ePSXe ... but I'm out of time to respond now. I'll be back later!

cheers!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You misunderstood me. It's not the capture that suffers but the emulation. (And that's accurately captured)

There are no performance issues either. The cores are nowhere near fully loaded, as I mentioned. So I have no clue where the interference comes from.

Namely, the best during capture is having HIGH BITRATE. Many people mistakenly believe that less bitrate carries less computational cost, however, it's just the other way around.
I'm quite sure the two are not closely related. I use a very fast preset for the codec.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,506 Posts
That's because some screen capture software will force the framerate to your desired capture framerate. This obviously will have very negative side effects on PC games and emulators that require a locked framerate of 50 fps (PAL) or 60 fps (NTSC).

I remember that I had this issue with fraps while recording a MAME gaming session. I don't remember what exactly I did to fix it, but it involved going into frap's capture setting and ticking a check box. The setting basically prevented fraps from trying to limit MAME's framerate and fraps would just grab every other frame because the game was locked at 60 fps and I was trying to capture at 30 fps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's because some screen capture software will force the framerate to your desired capture framerate. This obviously will have very negative side effects on PC games and emulators that require a locked framerate of 50 fps (PAL) or 60 fps (NTSC).
Interesting. Though I don't think it's the case for me. It would have more sever effects. One of them does have a framerate limit option, but it's disabled.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,506 Posts
What about your HDD? Is it a traditional, mechanical HDD? Are the game disc image and the video capture file set to utilize the same HDD? Are you using lossless video and audio codecs?

I ask this because it could be that your HDD isn't fast enough to read the CDDA (I'm assuming here) audio and write the capture data simultaneously. Generally it's recommended to keep the read source on a separate drive from the write target when a streaming read source (because of the streaming CDDA) is being captured.

If you don't have 2 HDDs, try moving the game disc image to a USB thumb drive. Also, defragment your capture target drive before you try again. This will keep the HDD heads from having to jump around to find empty sectors to write to.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about your HDD? Is it a traditional, mechanical HDD? Are the game disc image and the video capture file set to utilize the same HDD? Are you using lossless video and audio codecs?

I ask this because it could be that your HDD isn't fast enough to read the CDDA (I'm assuming here) audio and write the capture data simultaneously.
Hi!
It's on an SSD so no chance of a throughput bottleneck. The recorded files are something like a gigabyte for a minute, which is nothing for an SSD.

It feels like something noxious is causing synchronization issues, but I can't really fathom what.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts