Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering this:

I have been using the internet for a while and have always heard people saying "OMG AOL SUX" "ONLY N00Bs USE THAT" "AOL SUX0Rs" and stuff like that.

at first i thought ok I'll use something else - and ripped off by freeserve.

so I have been using AOL for about a month and have had no problems at all with it.

no problems connecting to anything
no problems surfing
nothing at all

I dont use the email service but it looked quite nice.

So whats the big deal.

Is it just that people are stupid and can't think for themselves or is there a perfectly good reason that I just can't work out.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I dunno if it's still the case, but AOL used to install lots of crapwares without asking
if we want the or not, also used to have high-ping on netgame even with a good bandwidth... can't think of more right now

·
Registered
356 Posts
yeah it does. And they are complete hard a$$es. The last three months I had AOL I would randomly get block from connecting online for "Bulk Mailing" Where I would then have to call up AOL and they would have to reactivate my account. It was rediculous because it happened 2 or 3 times a week. I tried virus scan but they did nothing. So finally we gave up and got cable. But when I called AOL they peristed to keep me on the phone to try AOL highspeed. And just when I thought I was finished canceling my account they lady says, "okay your signed up for 2 months of AOL PLus" And then I flipped out yelled at her and said she better not and hung up. That one phone call let me unleash the torment that was building up for the past 3 years.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
And don't forget that crappy AOL browser. It's one of the worst things I've ever seen :p

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
not to mention the fact that it costs way more than most other 56k providers, hell it sometimes costs more than some cable providers

its really the same thing as the browser war, i dont know if anyone in their right mind uses IE anymore

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Yeah, their price is quite high too.

BTW, I'm a MyIE2 user. I'm still using the IE core - and I'm satisfied with it :p

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I used AOL for three months (three month unlimited freephone trial), and when I tried to cancel they said that it was too late for that month. They gave us an extra month free, obviously hoping that we would change our mind. Then after five months, when we called to cancel, they were very reluctant to obey, using excuses such as "But we gave you four months for free". Their browsing software sucks, but you're forced to use it since they use some stupid proprietary protocol.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Even in Malaysia I hate them, they have ads in most of the games I buy that place a "Try AOL for free" icon and sometimes popups until I fire up spybot S&D, They decide to market to where they don't even exist and the govement supported and partily controled monopolitic teleco company isn't willing to allow international teleco companies to encourage local telecos to develop

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
Strider said:
not to mention the fact that it costs way more than most other 56k providers, hell it sometimes costs more than some cable providers

its really the same thing as the browser war, i dont know if anyone in their right mind uses IE anymore
I LOVE IE kthx :p Ive tried firefox on another computer and there is nothing special about it at ALL. IE is the best browser PERIOD

back on topic, I used AOL in the past and sucked ass! I got disconnected at random times,I got auto kicked out of many IRC channels because AOL users have a reputation of being extremely stupid (example AOL speak) and I think AOL has gotten into the outsouring thing. :nono:

I dont know why anyone in their right mind would even bother with 56k anymore. If its avaliable in your area. Just shell out the extra 20 bucks for broadband. With speeds up to 70-100x what your fetting now, its excellent stuff... ;)

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
If only you had said MyIE2... IE is terribly outdated and feature lacking as of now. Firefox is a great browser, though i don't like it more than MyIE2. Both have the features i nowadays need when browsing, mainly tabbed browsing, mouse gestures and SuperDragAndDrop/go. IE offers... nothing :p .

·
Registered
416 Posts
i start with aol (i think because it is so popular ^^) at the beginning i often can't log in because aol hasn't enought space for all users -.- sometimes i needed 1 or more hours to log in >_<. but thats long time ago.
but at least i was pleased with aol, especially the customer service <.<

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
FYI for aol prices a month

Dial Up : 23.90
Broadband : 24.95

Their was also another one that was 14.95 A month, it was for broad band too. but i dunno what the hell it was. Iv been curious about that AOL browser thing, I know its bad but is it worse than using an unprotected IE? When i mean unprotected i mean no popup blocker

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
In France AOL offers 1024k for about 20€/month, Free: 5mb for 15€ and wanadoo 1024k for 40€... I'm on wanadoo and it doesn't install crappy stuff, though I'm planning to change to Free cause of the price :p (AOL will never put his shyts on my PC)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm on AOL Canada, $24.95/month. (Their broadband service is $44.95/month.)
You get 7 screen names /e-mails with customizable spam-filtering, so you can use one or more of them for crap stuff and designate the others for more privacy if you want.
You also get 70mb of ftp space spread over your 7 screen names (12mb each), but most people are unaware of this complimentary webspace because it's kinda hidden in the fine print. (I don't think it supports CGI/Perl scripting, though.)

scottic said:
I used AOL for three months (three month unlimited freephone trial), and when I tried to cancel they said that it was too late for that month. They gave us an extra month free, obviously hoping that we would change our mind. Then after five months, when we called to cancel, they were very reluctant to obey, using excuses such as "But we gave you four months for free".
Their billing policy is that you can cancel anytime, which will be made effective on your next monthly billing date. I've phoned them in the past and never had any problems with customer service reps.
I used to be signed on another 56k provider who gave me the run-around with excuses for half a year when I tried to cancel until I finally contacted VISA to set them straight, waving a big legal stick.

scottic said:
Their browsing software sucks, but you're forced to use it since they use some stupid proprietary protocol.
No you're not.
I rarely use the AOL browser at all, I just log in with it and then open I.E. to do my surfing. (...Not sure about compatability issues if you want to use Firefox, Mozilla, etc.)
The new AOL 9.0 browser isn't half bad anyway, having a built-in pop-up blocker, spyware scanning, optional firewall, themes, and custom toolbar. (The toolbar was locked on the older versions.) Most of the other features I don't bother with.

Popuri said:
i start with aol (i think because it is so popular ^^) at the beginning i often can't log in because aol hasn't enought space for all users.
I had this problem only once in 4 years, and that was on a Sunday afternoon a few years ago when their server reportedly got hacked. Otherwise, never had any login troubles, but I suppose it depends where you live, which determines how many access numbers are available in your area.

Raiden said:
Their was also another one that was 14.95 A month, it was for broad band too. but i dunno what the hell it was
The cheaper pricing plans are for limited service (# hours per month).

Sorry to sound like a pimp for AOL with all these compliments. :D

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
GALVATRON said:
Sorry to sound like a pimp for AOL with all these compliments. :D
I knew it from the start, you're an evil AOL employee :evil:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nah, my only real interest in being signed on with them is for the bonus webspace. If they ever start complaining about bandwidth usage, it'll be time to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Reasons I dislike AOL:

1) takes up too much system resources
2) If you are disconnected for some reason, the page you were browsing is also gone.
3) I get a ridiculous number of AOL cd's in the mail
4) I don't like all of the extra crap that AOL has. I, like most people, enjoy simplistic browsing environments without a lot of extraneous garbage.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Their broadband monthly price doesn't include actual broadband does it? Don't you have to already have a broadband connection (through something like Roadrunner, Comcast, or Verizon DSL) and then pay that AOL fee ON TOP of all that?

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well on the subject of bad connecting I havent experienced this - i may not have connected to the first number verytime but unlike some other ISPs AOL automatically dials another number also I have never been disconnected while being online.

on the browser - no one in there right mind actualy uses it and you aren't forced to either I use MYIE2 and to connect I dont even have to open the browser like someone said earlier there is an option to just have the dialer in my sytem tray takes about 2mb not really too much IMO

and on getting kicked from IRC because people assume you are stupid just because some other AOL users are stupid - anyone who is stupid enough to kick you for that reason alone doesn't deserve to be a channel op

·
Registered
780 Posts
The Captain said:
Reasons I dislike AOL:

1) takes up too much system resources
2) If you are disconnected for some reason, the page you were browsing is also gone.
3) I get a ridiculous number of AOL cd's in the mail
4) I don't like all of the extra crap that AOL has. I, like most people, enjoy simplistic browsing environments without a lot of extraneous garbage.
Ditto on that. Although I am really pissed at my own dialup provider atm, and I could soon say its worse than aol. It has became very unreliable and somewhat slow in downloading. On top of that, I can get wireless broadband from them for $50 a month, not bad for someone in a town of 360 people. But theirs that little thing called the installation which is $350. Uh, no thanks. Go shaft someone else. Just cause I live in the middle of nowhere dont mean I'm dumb. *wishes the phone co. would get off their lazy ass and finish up the dsl deployment they are a year behind on*. Aol, come to think of it aint that bad since it worked better than this crap i use now and they dont try to shaft you on broadband installation (correct me if im wrong)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts