Next Generation Emulation banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
16x is like 8k, you start getting into ram issues on the video cards going much higher..I mean 7680 × 4320 takes a lot of ram just for the framebuffer

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don’t even know what to say ... Among all emulators, it’s even a little difficult to choose a specific one.
I did not even expect that on this forum such specific discussions on the topic, very interesting n informative posts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
why, you ask? well it's easy:
1.) Retroarch still uses an outdated Mednafen core.
2.) This issue with letterboxing and scaling, on both Beetle PSX cores (it also happens on bizhawk, and it's driving me crazy, it's because of mednafen. all 4 options have some issues, like one keeps changing the window's size):

(please note how the little orange vertical bar is separated from the clouds)
The screenshot was taken with the latest stable version of Retroarch.

The same doesn't happen in ePSXe (2.0.5, PeteOpenGL2 gpu core 2.0.0 video plugin - I then rolled back to the ePSXe GPU plugin, but the point still stands):

also, these tests show that ePSXe is all but awful (it isn't perfect, but no emulator still is,lmao).

the only thing retroarch has over epsxe is that you can fix the texture warping,as shown in this video,and that ePSXe doesn't support Tool Assisted,unlike biz/emuhawk

It's annoying. And the audio pitch sounds like an old VHS at times,why?

(PS: I would like to try to use PCSXR, but it doesn't register any inputs for some reason)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Haha yeah no, unless you use the pcsx-r core which uses peops software plugin which both are subpar when compared to ePSXe.
Hmm. How to say

Shortly, i used 'very high' preset for opengl2, or, as i remember, i got huge lags even on high resolution in Chrono Cross

retroarch's rearmed core uses as i know 1x resolution, i cant launch beetly normal, but

from some point of view, rearmed keeps original dithering and original graphic

with shader i made some improvements and 1x resolution is no big problem anymore

Look at the difference with my shader

I made this for retroarch and optimized it for myself, but vanilla retroarch is most ugly and unusable software i saw

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
why, you ask? well it's easy:
1.) Retroarch still uses an outdated Mednafen core.
2.) This issue with letterboxing and scaling, on both Beetle PSX cores (it also happens on bizhawk, and it's driving me crazy, it's because of mednafen. all 4 options have some issues, like one keeps changing the window's size):

(please note how the little orange vertical bar is separated from the clouds)
The screenshot was taken with the latest stable version of Retroarch.

The same doesn't happen in ePSXe (2.0.5, PeteOpenGL2 gpu core 2.0.0 video plugin - I then rolled back to the ePSXe GPU plugin, but the point still stands):

also, these tests show that ePSXe is all but awful (it isn't perfect, but no emulator still is,lmao).

the only thing retroarch has over epsxe is that you can fix the texture warping,as shown in this video,and that ePSXe doesn't support Tool Assisted,unlike biz/emuhawk

It's annoying. And the audio pitch sounds like an old VHS at times,why?

(PS: I would like to try to use PCSXR, but it doesn't register any inputs for some reason)
actually the letterbox is normal correct behavior....playstation didn't use one set resolution, it used many different ones... Spyro, Crash bandicoot (NTSC), and many other games have letterboxing on top and bottom...it is done to keep the correct, original aspect ratio... It is easy to get rid of in Retroarch by croping overscan...
As for outdated core, no, not really...they forked off of mednafen and incorporate master and their own additions....

·
Registered
43 Posts
actually the letterbox is normal correct behavior....playstation didn't use one set resolution, it used many different ones... Spyro, Crash bandicoot (NTSC), and many other games have letterboxing on top and bottom...it is done to keep the correct, original aspect ratio... It is easy to get rid of in Retroarch by croping overscan...
As for outdated core, no, not really...they forked off of mednafen and incorporate master and their own additions....
I'd rather keep using PCSX and ePSXe, where I don't have to crop it because of some silly reason, especially because if I load up another game it'll either reset and I'll have to start the process all over again (this also applies with Bizhawk, although with Bizhawk you can also add an annoying and random window resizing too.)

I didn't knew about the fork, my bad.

·
Registered
86 Posts
But hm... Retroarch designed to scary people

'installer' weight is 200mb - and its even not emulator.
Why SO many folders?

SO many files in root dir o_O

SO huge scale and SO stupid sub-labels out of box like video - Change video output settings. it does not fits in screen, no scrollbar, but infinity scrolling o_O

Why escape closes emulator, F1 calls menu?!

Imo usual face who try to have some deal with retroarch looks like

·
Registered
86 Posts
By the way, coders as I know, are Russians (me too), they added me in VK chat, its like Russian facebook but with free music better interface :p

Creator of this like Wikipedia says Hans-Kristian "themaister" Arntzen , but possible its just a fake account

They want money like 'normal' people, and Russians are not popular in the world, people afraid us. Soo, Hans-Kristian "themaister" Arntzen sounds better

Okay, but they actually designed unusable monster. For 'impression' of people. I dont know how much money does they have from this, may be they dont have money, but... If they made it usable, people use it not thanks to discord/twith integration

As for me I made much smaller repack of this software with included cores and send it to piracy torrent tracker)

About advantages - i just include my shader for color/output calibration which was designed for myself and gives cool results at least for me

Retroarch project after 10 years of development still does not have this, or usable intuitive interface. It does not matter how much time they wasted on this software or how many people or how many money does they have, cause its just not usable

They should fix this as I know and now retroarch I hope will be great

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I'd rather keep using PCSX and ePSXe, where I don't have to crop it because of some silly reason, especially because if I load up another game it'll either reset and I'll have to start the process all over again (this also applies with Bizhawk, although with Bizhawk you can also add an annoying and random window resizing too.)

I didn't knew about the fork, my bad.
you can easily save a game override for games that need cropping....it will load the settings just for THAT game, while not for all others.... to do it, you load the game, set you settings then go quick menu overrides and save the game override....from then on out when you load that game those settings swill be applied.. I d stuff like that all the time, use a different aspect (19:14 works for a lot of things) -same as above only when you go to quick menu you back out and go to video, change the aspect, then back to quick menu and save game override....
It is a really handy way to use customs configurations on a game basis

·
Registered
43 Posts
you can easily save a game override for games that need cropping....it will load the settings just for THAT game, while not for all others.... to do it, you load the game, set you settings then go quick menu overrides and save the game override....from then on out when you load that game those settings swill be applied.. I d stuff like that all the time, use a different aspect (19:14 works for a lot of things) -same as above only when you go to quick menu you back out and go to video, change the aspect, then back to quick menu and save game override....
It is a really handy way to use customs configurations on a game basis
yes, but I can't save a per game crop setting,since it's on the global options.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,651 Posts
I hope to try retroarch soon, epsxe still runs fine but there are these little quirks here and there, it's obviously a bit of an ageing emulator (on windows at least)

101 - 113 of 113 Posts