Next Generation Emulation banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
crt shader works just fine
No. It has at least broken colors and 0-255 range, blue is too blue, no color fix

-_- you dont need actually to emulate crt's texture, you can just use blur , then maybe fileting, then add some noise for texturing

I've found mario 64 screenshot and corrected levels in potplayer + some noise
before

after

·
Registered
90 Posts
I, for example, can change black point if sun is too strong, or reduce white point in dark room, formula is simple, human readable, why emulators dont provide it if they can write so heavy shaders like CRT or create complex skins

gl_FragColor = gl_FragColor *white/255.0+black/255.0-gl_FragColor*black/255.0

·
Registered
31 Posts
For the Chrono Cross soldier comparison pictures (or from which RPG was it?). I see, that your filtered version loses details, look at the white pixel on both arms (or the different reds), gone in your filter. Or the helm grill, gone, loses details everywhere and it looks blurred. Both won't be gone with xBR. I must admit, it looks better than the others, but it's not hard to let it look better which such an low internal resolution the PSX has. Even simple scanlines will let it look better. In the End, I would try some xBR for all 2D things/textures and as an example AA to get rid of any jagged lines, without the need for higher internal resolution. Higher internal resolution gets rid of jagged lines too and at some degree you won't need any AA anymore. You wouldn't watch an movie in 240p if you can have 1080p or higher, or? Why should I use the low quality option?

But this is not what you want. For Mario, why would I need noise, when I can have a crystal clear image? Why should I rape the graphics to let it look worse? For me, this is not an option. The first Mario picture looks like a bit to much color/saturation, but that's the way it is. The dimmed and noise added version from you are okay, but I would never play any game with it, because it just adds fake details. Especially if I would know, that I could get rid of the noise to see the real thing. Noise can be an art element, look at the Walking Dead, they use some noise filter in all episodes (which raises filesize enormous to preserve all noise details, harder to compress), it's nice for that one series, because it looks less clean etc. Also, because you statet that in some other post, when I look out of the window, I don't see any real noise, it's crystal clear. Even with rain, fog etc. it has no noise. So in real, crystal clear is the one and only natural, not the noise version. Is there a Russian version of Chrono Cross?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is there a Russian version of Chrono Cross?
Yep on photos before. By the way its me this person who destroyed time)
crystal clear
-_- you should accepts that there is NO cristal clear objects in normal real world. Look at paper or anything - it has texture. Its not filled with 255-255-255. CRT has texture too and its not just matrix, its an analog

I look at PotPlayer with shaders like debanding, levels and noise of cource,compare this screenshot of debanded youtube, look at gradients. With huge video compression it looks very synthetic even after debanding

With noise

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know what you mean, this enhanced the picture in some way, but I don't want it for games in general. I'm one of those persons who deactivate any irritating effects like motion blur (in reality my real eyes don't have any blur in movement), chroma aberration (blurs the picture, harder for the eye to compensate for the shifted colors, a bit like watching an 3D film without 3D glasses, useless filter in my view) or Depth of Field, because mostly it's not capable to simulate real distance to the focal point, where everything merges into one point. BTW, that's the cause we think the sun "goes down" etc., it's just perspective and limited human eyes. With modern camera zoom, you can bring objects back from "behind the horizon" (like the sun, islands, ships, buildings etc.), which should be impossible on a ball, but who cares, right? ^^

Oh and something I had remember, when hearing natural, colors etc. If you use an TN panel, you only get fake colours anyway or at least not as good as coulors could be on an IPS panel. This is one of the problems. And someone fiddles around with some shader on an TN panel and this isn't optimal from the very beginning. ^^ Defining colors on an IPS panel should produce better results, or not?

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you use an TN panel, you only get fake colours anyway or at least not as good as coulors could be on an IPS panel
Its true from some point, but anyway I can see difference, if image its better, it will be better

I dont work about 6 years and have no much money, so, TN is much better than nothing. If you compare this to 30 years ago, its like a miracle, anyway))

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Its true from some point, but anyway I can see difference, if image its better, it will be better

I dont work about 6 years and have no much money, so, TN is much better than nothing. If you compare this to 30 years ago, its like a miracle, anyway))
personally I find your images to be too washed out and wrong scale...too little contrast for actual tv type emulation... this image is perfect too me, it matches youtube videos of SM64 color and contrast wise as well (only better resolution)

you can also, dependong on core, set certain texture filters that will smooth out a lot of the rough edges old systems had, like the overlay icons below

·
Registered
90 Posts
personally I find your images to be too washed out and wrong scale...too little contrast for actual tv type emulation... this image is perfect too me, it matches youtube videos of SM64 color and contrast wise as well (only better resolution)
Why 'correct speach' is so popular, if its boring :D? What about emotions and feeling, why especially english-speaking dont use this and cant say 'you are wrong, it should be like'

LCD have brighntess 400-500 кд/м2 , crt about 86 is I know, so white level looks worse on LCD, white is too white

Yeah, you can reduce brighntess, but it makes black point darker and whole image will be more dark. You could fix this by the way, if you change black point, but GPU utility provide in 'brighntess' wrong formula, its just offset with limited 255 value

Correct formula looks like

gl_FragColor = gl_FragColor *white/255.0+black/255.0-gl_FragColor*black/255.0

I made simple shader for pete opengl which allows to change color and adds some noise very simple

#define white 200.0
#define black 20.0
#define noise 15.0
#define offset -25.0
#define red -0.0
#define green -0.0
#define blue -0.2
#define satoffset 5.0

I think you never see windows like in 1st picture, its extremely white and dark is extremely dark

·
Registered
10 Posts
to answer the main thread. retroarch tries to accomplish too much. having a specific emulator is not bad thing IMHO.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i made ready for using retroarch build with real, not aaa improvements
speed emulation is better than epsxe btw

·
Not a Registered User
1,381 Posts
speed emulation is better than epsxe btw
Haha yeah no, unless you use the pcsx-r core which uses peops software plugin which both are subpar when compared to ePSXe.
Beetle core while superior it's also far more demanding, it's more or less unusable on low end devices especially mobile ones.
While ePSXe will run on pretty much anything with 1ghz CPU with a single thread.
This the main reason why I still use ePSXe mostly.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Haha yeah no, unless you use the pcsx-r core which uses peops software plugin which both are subpar when compared to ePSXe.
Beetle core while superior it's also far more demanding, it's more or less unusable on low end devices especially mobile ones.
While ePSXe will run on pretty much anything with 1ghz CPU with a single thread.
This the main reason why I still use ePSXe mostly.
beetle has multiple cpu cores now you do know right?? it has dynarec now...and some dma tricks to gain speed...16x resolution in ogl or vulkan is now possible without issues...(other than RA having a vulkan driver issue where vsync in RA needs to be off)..I can't speak for his build/setup though... he's gotten banned twice on the RA discord cause he doesn't like rules..lol

·
Not a Registered User
1,381 Posts
beetle has multiple cpu cores now you do know right?? it has dynarec now...and some dma tricks to gain speed...16x resolution in ogl or vulkan is now possible without issues...(other than RA having a vulkan driver issue where vsync in RA needs to be off)..I can't speak for his build/setup though... he's gotten banned twice on the RA discord cause he doesn't like rules..lol
And despite RA having multi thread and dynarec support it still can't match ePSXe in speed.
For example on my main low end device ePSXe runs fine at 2x resolution with shaders and other settings maxed using the hardware mode.
In RA I can't get beetle core working properly even at lowest settings with 1x resolution
Also 16x isn't that kinda pointless? As someone once said, you can polish a turd only so much.
Plus you always could do that in ePSXe with it's opengl plugin, it's just a 4k resolution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
agree with the pointlessness of the 16x . ive seen someone do that and still activates AA on the highest setting. Like what? to top it of forces xbr like that overkill for the sake of just making a little bit prettier.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
actually the point of it was with 16x that includes the 16x software rendering framebuffer....and it is more like 8k resolution.... no no one "needs" it... was just pointing out it is possible... with beetle, runnign vulkan and frame limit off (Effectively FF which removes the limit) @16x I average a little over 100fps... and I would not call my PC highend... (i5 4670, gtx 1660)

·
Not a Registered User
1,381 Posts
actually the point of it was with 16x that includes the 16x software rendering framebuffer....and it is more like 8k resolution.... no no one "needs" it... was just pointing out it is possible... with beetle, runnign vulkan and frame limit off (Effectively FF which removes the limit) @16x I average a little over 100fps... and I would not call my PC highend... (i5 4670, gtx 1660)
Fair enough, thou why not make this option an input rather than selectable, like what if somones wants 32x or 128x OR 8192x XD jk.
More options are always better than no options.
And yeah on PC I do recommend beetle as most modern PCs will run it fine.
I mostly use low/mid range mobile devices and on those sadly beetle does not run well.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts