Next Generation Emulation banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
On an old DELL dimension 3100 IP4 2.80ghz 2GB ram 6200 256mb card, black screen, BSOD. windows 10 32bit OS.

I get no display.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,478 Posts
Well, this thread isn't the place for asking for help about individual issues with epsxe.

FYI: a BSOD (blue screen of death) is a full system crash and is typically the result of bad drivers from everything above XP rather than, say, a general protection fault which was usually the OS's fault.

Anyway, please create a new thread for your issue and detail your epsxe version, plugins, and settings. Please also list your video card.

OT: I use epsxe because I'm a masochist.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used to be of the opinion that ePSXe was better than Retroarch, but I've come around recently. Despite its quirks, I've enjoyed playing my old games on Retroarch a lot more. On my hardware at least (i5-4690K @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 8GB RAM), Beetle PSX HW runs flawlessly. The features that put it above ePSXe in my book are higher internal resolutions, Supersampling on the Vulkan renderer, PGXP, and multi-pass shaders (I love CRT Royale, personally). Beetle PSX HW is also still in active development, the nightly build has a dynarec now, and let's face it, ePSXe development is pretty much dead at this point... As a bonus, I can use an updated SNES9x and I ditched Kega Fusion (which was finnicky on Windows 10) in favor of Genesis PlusGX, which consolidates the bulk of my game emulation needs. It was a little difficult making the switch to Beetle PSX initially because I had to convert all of my per-game memory cards over to Retroarch's format. PCSXR and ePSXe use the games' region codes (which I had to look up to find out which card went with which game), but Retroarch needs them to match the games' filenames (much simpler, in my opinion). The other issue I had was that the automatic scan only detected like 1/4 of my games. Being the perfectionist that I am, I also manually went through all of my games and added them to the right playlists with the correct core associations and made .m3u playlists for all of my multi-disc games. Then, I went through the Retroarch's databases and renamed all of my games' playlist entries to match so Retroarch would add the correct box art for each of them (luckily my game collection is small, about 100 games total). Also, Retroarch now has a "Desktop Mode." Press F5 or select Use Desktop Mode from xmb and it opens a separate window where you can use a mouse/keyboard. It makes playlist editing much easier and you can drag/drop missing box art if it isn't in the database. I will always have a special place in my heart for ePSXe for being a simple way for me play some of my favorite childhood games again, but Beetle PSX HW has far surpassed it in quality in my opinion and Retroarch has become my default nostalgia generator.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I completely moved to Retroarch and Mednafen Beetle PSX Core, the smoothness is the best of the best. Max Performance achieved with Dynarec and many options to tweak games.
What i miss from ePSXE? the function to apply *.ppf patches on the fly, (for mod games or language patches) without compiling the ISO everytime. It does helps to test some mods before writing it permanently on the game.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also, Retroarch now has a "Desktop Mode." Press F5 or select Use Desktop Mode from xmb and it opens a separate window where you can use a mouse/keyboard. It makes playlist editing much easier and you can drag/drop missing box art if it isn't in the database. I will always have a special place in my heart for ePSXe for being a simple way for me play some of my favorite childhood games again, but Beetle PSX HW has far surpassed it in quality in my opinion and Retroarch has become my default nostalgia generator.
That desktop mode is a joke honestly, it's still just as unintuitive to use. In my opinion there should be standalone versions of all the Retroarch cores with simple Desktop interfaces.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
That desktop mode is a joke honestly, it's still just as unintuitive to use. In my opinion there should be standalone versions of all the Retroarch cores with simple Desktop interfaces.
why?? it can't get any easier than plain old XMD menu driver, playlists and quick menu...99% of the cores need zero configuration...scan your games to create playlists, go to settings/playlists and set the core you want for each system then on the main menu go to the system/game you want and click run... The xmb menu is very easy to use... heck my computer illiterate family can use it...

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
there should be standalone versions of all the Retroarch cores with simple Desktop interfaces.
They exist, we just called them emulators before and still do.
Many of the upstream projects integrated libretro so you could use them as is or uses any other frontend that leverages the libretro bindings.

·
Not a Registered User
1,320 Posts
Honestly the only reason I still use ePSXe these days is cause it's the best PS1 emulator for low specs devices like smartphones which is what I use mostly for my retro fix,
That and lack of proper PBP support cause RetroArch uses MD5 hashes to scan games if they're correct, which apparently you can't do with PBP compression/data loss.
Yeah RetroArch is a pain to setup but i's one time done deal.
Other than that i'd say Beetle core is superior accuracy is slightly better, thou requirements are much higher but on modern PCs that's not much of a problem and Beetle core has far more options to improve gameplay visually and performance wise.

So yeah if you wanna play on PC I do recommend RetroArch with Beetle core, mobile devices ePSXe.

·
Registered
415 Posts
ePSXe helped to push the PSX emulation to a high level. The plugins are also awsome to this day.
Quite compatible, easy to use etc.
I hope RetroArch PSX emu development will solve some issues like disc changing and supported formats, maybe a better soft gpu plugin.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
ePSXe helped to push the PSX emulation to a high level. The plugins are also awsome to this day.
Quite compatible, easy to use etc.
I hope RetroArch PSX emu development will solve some issues like disc changing and supported formats, maybe a better soft gpu plugin.
it already has....disk change is really easy now..and for multidisk games, what I am doing is compressing the disks with chdman, then make an m3u file with the disks names inside... to change disk when it prompts you just go to disk control, eject disk, change the index from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc.. what ever disk you need) then insert disk... done...hopefully, in the next while they will add what was added to amiga/c64 cores and do an auto m3u from the disks inside a zip file... so for instance, if all 3 FF VII disks are in the zip, it would unzip them to a temp folder and create an m3u.... it works great on c64 and amiga!!

Honestly the only reason I still use ePSXe these days is cause it's the best PS1 emulator for low specs devices like smartphones which is what I use mostly for my retro fix,
That and lack of proper PBP support cause RetroArch uses MD5 hashes to scan games if they're correct, which apparently you can't do with PBP compression/data loss.
Yeah RetroArch is a pain to setup but i's one time done deal.
Other than that i'd say Beetle core is superior accuracy is slightly better, thou requirements are much higher but on modern PCs that's not much of a problem and Beetle core has far more options to improve gameplay visually and performance wise.

So yeah if you wanna play on PC I do recommend RetroArch with Beetle core, mobile devices ePSXe.
I don't have any pbp to see if beetle will load them, but then have a manual scan now that will add everything in a directory to the play list. it is how I create my amiga and c64 playlists since it is quite hard to have a reliable checksum for them

·
Not a Registered User
1,320 Posts
I don't have any pbp to see if beetle will load them, but then have a manual scan now that will add everything in a directory to the play list. it is how I create my amiga and c64 playlists since it is quite hard to have a reliable checksum for them
Oh beetle does play pbp files just fine, it's RetroArch that has a problem with said format, mainly that it is a lossy compression container, some dummy data is lost but it is restored when uncompressing, but because of this RA can't hash the image inside and compare it to an original copy hash.
This means that every automatic function of RA doesn't work, covers, cheats, achievements, playlist etc.
Yeah you can do some of these manually but you have to do them one by one, and when you have a collection of 200+ games you can imagine the pain.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Oh beetle does play pbp files just fine, it's RetroArch that has a problem with said format, mainly that it is a lossy compression container, some dummy data is lost but it is restored when uncompressing, but because of this RA can't hash the image inside and compare it to an original copy hash.
This means that every automatic function of RA doesn't work, covers, cheats, achievements, playlist etc.
Yeah you can do some of these manually but you have to do them one by one, and when you have a collection of 200+ games you can imagine the pain.
as long as the names match the name of game in pbp.. like Chrono Cross (USA).pbp the thumbnail and everything else will show up...if the pbp's are badly named, then yea.. issues.... I just do mine as chd now.. all the chd's for multi disks are in a separate folder and then I make an M3u with the path/names in them works well, you still save space and chd is a superior lossless compression

·
Not a Registered User
1,320 Posts
as long as the names match the name of game in pbp.. like Chrono Cross (USA).pbp the thumbnail and everything else will show up...if the pbp's are badly named, then yea.. issues.... I just do mine as chd now.. all the chd's for multi disks are in a separate folder and then I make an M3u with the path/names in them works well, you still save space and chd is a superior lossless compression
Ah if only ePSXe supported chkd I would redump and recompress my collection, in a hearbeat, in my testing chkd is 10-¹5% better which on a large scale saves several gb in my case.
Will try that naming method, I have my pbp files named like so Chrono Cross (U).pbp to save few letters.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Retroarch is peace of shit in the end. It even has not simple PC gui, oh my godable its LEBRETRO WOOOW SO MANY EFFECTS IN USER INTERFACE, extremly hard to tune, extremely slow, complex, bad shaders

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is just your opinion and experience. For me RetroArch with Beetle PSX HW runs better than anything I used before for PSX emulation. The UI is the best I could imagine to manage all options, the menu is very quick and responsive for me. I don't know why you try to bash it like that. ^^ You can also use your shader with it and use none of the advanced options, just native 1x and good. Just ignore all other settings, or? It's very easy to download any core, configure it and set everything up. Yeah, like with everything it takes some time to get used to it. Right now, I managed to set up two RetroArchs on one PC, one for the TV (via HDMI from PC) and one for the PC. Within RetroArch itself, I can easily set one emulation for the TV (incl. audio and gamepad routing) and one for PC and they both run smooth with the same settings I mentioned elsewhere. When I think about how complicated it is to move other emulators simply to the TV (in fullscreen) without any third party software and the general usability of their menus etc. I would say, RetroArch isn't there to manage just one system, that's why it's made with foresight and many eventualities and possibilities to support any needs. You can even deactivate whole menu entries, especially for you ;). Which emulator has that as an example? But RetroArch is an Frontend with many QoL fuctions, which offers cores and Beetle PSX HW seems to be the best around for PSX, if you seek up-to-date options and an overall stable expierience in combination with RetroArch. At least for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is just your opinion and experience
Why people wanna use combination of words? Just u just u

Its possible to compare this. In think about behaviour of developers, why they do something
Why retroarch has this smartphone gui when you start it? It even can works with mouse well, glitchy scrolling. It does not matter how BEEEEAAAATTTTIFFFFUUULLLL it is, if you just cant use it

I hardly launched NES emulator, and it was laggy, my pc is not very fast, simple laptop on intel i5 2.6Ghz processor. But buggy NES? But VULKAN PUKAN VASYAN support, okaaay

It has fake shaders ~_~ compare with my, developed for epsxe/pcsxr-pgxp My shader with best graphic - colors fix, texture, levels, saturation

These shaders do not provide important thing like noise, levels, colors control, blur

If it was good projects, shaders should have some settings, you can combine them, but actually you dont need AAx16 filtering to emulate graphics

In the end, retroarch provide glitchy AAA interface on some AAA engine. And its possible to make good PC skin, at least PPSSPP is okay

AI, no good 7z support - in nestopia you can chose 1 file inside 7z archive, retroarch opens first. Yeah, its a big works, but in the end its stupid. By the way. PCSXR open source and have PS1 engine. Is it possible to port epsxe-like core and other stuff to retroarch? Should be! But its not realized.

It should be improved modern version of emulators zoo and its great idea, but it works extremely bad on PC if you compare it to another emulators. Its not 'just my point', it can be proved if you compare it

·
Registered
86 Posts
For example, this 'crt - like shader' is bullshit to. They do not emulate crt and it is needless mostly
In the end, on input emulator has image and you can work with image, fix collors, simple add some noise for texturization after blur - and image will be better. No, they just make heavy shader without settings

With dear retroarch you can set wtf they means geeky settings like force CPU sync, menu scale, tons of hotkeys which conflict with settings on keyboard, but in the end you still get ugly graphics of emulated consoles

With AAAAAA libretro glitchy library. Its insane project, not 'better emulator', people who maked it have bedy s bashkoy, they need psychiatrist help

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Ah if only ePSXe supported chkd I would redump and recompress my collection, in a hearbeat, in my testing chkd is 10-¹5% better which on a large scale saves several gb in my case.
Will try that naming method, I have my pbp files named like so Chrono Cross (U).pbp to save few letters.
yea, it won't work for ALL games, some multi disk, you may have to go into the thumbnails folder and rename a disk 1 to omit the disk stuff...most already have a thumbnail for that purpose but a few don't...not a big deal

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
For example, this 'crt - like shader' is bullshit to. They do not emulate crt and it is needless mostly
In the end, on input emulator has image and you can work with image, fix collors, simple add some noise for texturization after blur - and image will be better. No, they just make heavy shader without settings

With dear retroarch you can set wtf they means geeky settings like force CPU sync, menu scale, tons of hotkeys which conflict with settings on keyboard, but in the end you still get ugly graphics of emulated consoles

With AAAAAA libretro glitchy library. Its insane project, not 'better emulator', people who maked it have bedy s bashkoy, they need psychiatrist help

View attachment 201487
crt shader works just fine... and shaders are really easy to use... the RA UI is easy to use... all those settings you mention, you do not have to touch...and RA will still work out of the box...
CRT shader (one I modified myself for my own use)

61 - 80 of 113 Posts