Next Generation Emulation banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
On an old DELL dimension 3100 IP4 2.80ghz 2GB ram 6200 256mb card, black screen, BSOD. windows 10 32bit OS.

I get no display.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,449 Posts
Well, this thread isn't the place for asking for help about individual issues with epsxe.

FYI: a BSOD (blue screen of death) is a full system crash and is typically the result of bad drivers from everything above XP rather than, say, a general protection fault which was usually the OS's fault.

Anyway, please create a new thread for your issue and detail your epsxe version, plugins, and settings. Please also list your video card.

OT: I use epsxe because I'm a masochist.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used to be of the opinion that ePSXe was better than Retroarch, but I've come around recently. Despite its quirks, I've enjoyed playing my old games on Retroarch a lot more. On my hardware at least (i5-4690K @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 8GB RAM), Beetle PSX HW runs flawlessly. The features that put it above ePSXe in my book are higher internal resolutions, Supersampling on the Vulkan renderer, PGXP, and multi-pass shaders (I love CRT Royale, personally). Beetle PSX HW is also still in active development, the nightly build has a dynarec now, and let's face it, ePSXe development is pretty much dead at this point... As a bonus, I can use an updated SNES9x and I ditched Kega Fusion (which was finnicky on Windows 10) in favor of Genesis PlusGX, which consolidates the bulk of my game emulation needs. It was a little difficult making the switch to Beetle PSX initially because I had to convert all of my per-game memory cards over to Retroarch's format. PCSXR and ePSXe use the games' region codes (which I had to look up to find out which card went with which game), but Retroarch needs them to match the games' filenames (much simpler, in my opinion). The other issue I had was that the automatic scan only detected like 1/4 of my games. Being the perfectionist that I am, I also manually went through all of my games and added them to the right playlists with the correct core associations and made .m3u playlists for all of my multi-disc games. Then, I went through the Retroarch's databases and renamed all of my games' playlist entries to match so Retroarch would add the correct box art for each of them (luckily my game collection is small, about 100 games total). Also, Retroarch now has a "Desktop Mode." Press F5 or select Use Desktop Mode from xmb and it opens a separate window where you can use a mouse/keyboard. It makes playlist editing much easier and you can drag/drop missing box art if it isn't in the database. I will always have a special place in my heart for ePSXe for being a simple way for me play some of my favorite childhood games again, but Beetle PSX HW has far surpassed it in quality in my opinion and Retroarch has become my default nostalgia generator.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts