Next Generation Emulation banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
yea an m3u file named the game name pointing to the eboot will eliminate wrong savestate files cause they get named after the loaded file,,,multidisk games could be an issue changing them though.... most using RA use chd compression for disks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, at first i was only looking for tweaks for my updated ePSXe. Then i got noticed about Retroarsh thing and them XEBRA
XEBRA looks quite simple emulator, but it is said that is the most accurate. Why?
On the other hand, Retroarch its intended to use many game consoles, its heavier and has lot of stuff to do before play

For someone like me that comes from old 1.70 ePSXe, did I lost something good? should i stick to ePSXe or switch to another one? I just plan playing Chrono Cross, Megaman X4 ,5. Digimon Rumble

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I have pretty much moved to retroarch, it just works well.... all my emu's in one place with individual playlists(rom lists) for each system
1573882742876.png

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
Hi, at first i was only looking for tweaks for my updated ePSXe. Then i got noticed about Retroarsh thing and them XEBRA
XEBRA looks quite simple emulator, but it is said that is the most accurate. Why?
On the other hand, Retroarch its intended to use many game consoles, its heavier and has lot of stuff to do before play

For someone like me that comes from old 1.70 ePSXe, did I lost something good? should i stick to ePSXe or switch to another one? I just plan playing Chrono Cross, Megaman X4 ,5. Digimon Rumble
If you're just playing ps1 games you can stick to ePSXe, maybe just try updating it.
XEBRA is more accurate but the difference between it and ePSXe is like 1% you won't notice any difference, but XEBRA lacks any visual improvement, it's pure 1:1 PS1 emulation.
RetroArch is good but I only recommend it if you're using multiple emulators for various systems and you want it all in one program.

The only major difference with RetroArch PS1 emulation is its beetle core PXGP functions that correct the wobbly textures and jumpy polygons.

I tried RetroArch once or twice but it's lack of full pbp support kills it for me, as I would have to convert or re rip my entire PS1 collection for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im trying Retroarch Now, At least for what i tested looks to be quite superior at its core. Looks like is more power demanding but for my hardware ran smoother Megaman X4 without any glitches (From CD itself) without any initial tweak.
However, first issue is that i had to get other bios than SCPH1001 to work, and then not all my dumps work, i have some iso, cue, bin and ccd... there is said that need cue files for each game so Im still researching...

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
Im trying Retroarch Now, At least for what i tested looks to be quite superior at its core. Looks like is more power demanding but for my hardware ran smoother Megaman X4 without any glitches (From CD itself) without any initial tweak.
However, first issue is that i had to get other bios than SCPH1001 to work, and then not all my dumps work, i have some iso, cue, bin and ccd... there is said that need cue files for each game so Im still researching...
Yeah RetroArch is a pain to setup, forgot to mention that, it's PS1 core is far more demanding due to it's lacking of Dynarc compiler, it's strictly Interpreter which is more accurate, but by far more demanding, on PC this may not be an issues as most modern CPUs can ran circles around it, given how much power they have, sadly for me this is a no go as I use mobile devices like the GPD XD+ for my retro fix.
One piece of advice i can give you, is to always make sure files are properly named, BIOS, ISO, etc. even if you have the file and it is selected in RetroArch the emulation "core" may not work because it requires a specific name format.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Yeah RetroArch is a pain to setup, forgot to mention that, it's PS1 core is far more demanding due to it's lacking of Dynarc compiler, it's strictly Interpreter which is more accurate, but by far more demanding, on PC this may not be an issues as most modern CPUs can ran circles around it, given how much power they have, sadly for me this is a no go as I use mobile devices like the GPD XD+ for my retro fix.
One piece of advice i can give you, is to always make sure files are properly named, BIOS, ISO, etc. even if you have the file and it is selected in RetroArch the emulation "core" may not work because it requires a specific name format.
dynarec core coming soon...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Playing Chrono Cross like this is pretty overkill
However looks just only high end modern pcs would handle it by the time, I mean the smooth 60FPS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got the rest of my rips working, but its needed the *.cue files for each game, I had to create them or edit them. Its pretty easy

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
Got the rest of my rips working, but its needed the *.cue files for each game, I had to create them or edit them. Its pretty easy
Don't have the links at hand, but there's a site with PS1 cue sheet generator, easy to use and a site where you can download every cue sheet file for most if not all PS1 games.

Dunno if I can even post the latter link due to forum rules, but you can always Google it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is old software for new hardware.
Sound crackles with PAL version games PS1, with the Pete's OpenGL2 GPU core 2.0.0
ePSXe GPU core 2.0.0 does not crackle.

Nothing I do with openGL fixes it.
Intel card get other errors, with NVIDIA get bad sound.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
shouldn't be getting any audio issues... i use the internal spu and core ogl2 gpu...I don't use any of the filtering though (just causes issues..) and I set all the frambuffer stuff to standard (anythign higher is overkill for except a cpuple games and just needlessly eats cpu cycles) I do use shaders depending on my mood
I5 4670
GTX 1660
16gb ram

·
Registered
3 Posts
Latest downloaded update. EPSXE is buggy.
I will do some configuration to fix the problem.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
8GB DDR3 memory
Evga 750ti SC 2GB memory Latest driver version 441.66

/Intel HD 2500 graphics onboard
500GB Hard Drive

Windows 10 64bit Home edition 1909 version. Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am using the psxfin and epsxe 2.0.5 emulator and all right, I agree retroarch is a terrible emulator and difficult to use, the emulators listed above work best :)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I prefer Retroarch, once you learn how to set it up, it is better, most of the time add a rom an it works without tweaking and gives so much up scaling options.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,602 Posts
I like how this thread started on a negative note and then turned into something useful.

I converted a bunch of CD images to PBP to run on Android ePSXe. If Retroarch turns out to be the better option (I wonder if it will be fast enough on my tablet) I guess I'll do a CHD conversion some time.
I'm hunting down retro games a bit, but on a budget (MSX, Gameboy and PS1 mostly atm.) PS1 games can be found pretty cheap and it's fun to revisit the late 90's racing game craze. :)

·
Seasoned ePSXe User
633 Posts
ePSXe will always hold a special place in my heart since it was what got me into using emulation to begin with. Saying that Retroarch has turned out to be ePSXe's superior in almost all categories. There are still a few odd games here and there that I prefer to use ePSXe instead of Retroarch but that mainly stems from the texture filtering options via available "plug-ins" and their various quirks. Still Retroarch has become my main OG PlayStation emulator after over a decade of almost exclusive ePSXe usage. As I said, ePSXe holds a place of honour but I rarely use it anymore. Perhaps if there was a revitalization in PSEmu Pro plug-in development I might switch back, depending on the results, but I honestly don't see that happening .

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I like how this thread started on a negative note and then turned into something useful.

I converted a bunch of CD images to PBP to run on Android ePSXe. If Retroarch turns out to be the better option (I wonder if it will be fast enough on my tablet) I guess I'll do a CHD conversion some time.
I'm hunting down retro games a bit, but on a budget (MSX, Gameboy and PS1 mostly atm.) PS1 games can be found pretty cheap and it's fun to revisit the late 90's racing game craze. :)
they are looking for testers for the android and linux beetle psx HW dynarec over on the retroarch discord

41 - 60 of 63 Posts