Next Generation Emulation banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well i got past my issue. Beetlepsx will only load the cue file wheras normally i just select the bin. But any game i try to load on it just goes to a black or glitchy green screen. Im sticking with what works and atm that is epsxe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is funny cause I'm wondering the same about RetroArch. That GUI is a f*cking nightmare to use. It's a mystery to me that some people use this thing by choice and even recommend it to other people. It's so crammed with options which you have NO idea what they are even doing. It's a convoluted mess and a pain to navigate and set up properly. Sure, it's pretty to look at but try using it efficiently.

Now if someone made a simple GUI for RetroArch PS1 Core that looks and behaves just like ePSXE or PCSX-R that would be something, but in it's current state RetroArch is just unusable for me.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
whata difference a couple years make, my opinion of Retroarch flipped 180..I would now recommend it over any of the other emulators out there, not just for psx......n64 emulation via mupen next is almost perfect...
even the interface has improved/gotten much easier
Untitled.png

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
whata difference a couple years make, my opinion of Retroarch flipped 180..I would now recommend it over any of the other emulators out there, not just for psx......n64 emulation via mupen next is almost perfect...
even the interface has improved/gotten much easier View attachment 201126
Has the beetle core finally gotten Dynarec? No? Then it can suck a big one.
PCSXR hasn't been updated ever since it's plugin based
It's PPSSPP core is subpar to the standalone version.
Plus it suffers from far to many cores for an average user to figure it out

RetroArch isn't bad for what it is if you're willing to put in some time into it and have a good setup.

For an average user like me it's black magic, I tried it on few occasions always with issues and since I run all my retro stuff on android devices I don't have the horse power to run everything on interpreter.

Lastly the GUI is still a bloody mess having to scroll through everything, and the other GUIs aren't better

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
dynarec?? yes, not public or finished, but yea..... doesn't really need it though, plays all my psx games at 100% speed (i5 4670)... no one seriously uses pcsx-r anymore since it is so full of bugs and inaccuracies..(one reason beetle is a little slower is because it is a lot more accurate)
as for the rest, thats just ludicrous.. you have to scroll through your playlist no matter the emu, or load a rom directly (both of which you can do on RA as well) ..ppsspp works flawlessly, mupen next works perfectly... not had any issues with ANY system, even dolphin and flycast(dreamcast) work great..
does it work as well on android?? sure.. unless you are using an old outdated cpu/cpu combo (like mali graphics or a slow a53 centered cpu)..not saying it is perfect, but it is darn near close... even runs great on a weak raspberry pi 3b (though wii/gc and dreamcast are out since the cpu is just too slow)

***EDIT***
Forgot to mention I can control and use everything in Retroarch and never touch the KB..even scanning in your games is done via the menu which I control with a 360 controller.. you can take a decent old laptop (intel gpu) and boot straight into Retroarch and have a gaming machine

·
302 Posts
The dynamic recompiler is almost completed...

Some people prefer Ludo over RetroArch, other options are Bizhawk and OpenEmu. But those two are even further behind than RA.
The problem with the UI is that not make any sense from a PC user perspective, it feels very unnatural / unpleasant to use with keyboard and mouse. But make sense when you use a control device. Many core options are only available on runtime, so is very different to the standalone contra part.
Some cores are "inferior" to the standalone version, in Mupen64Plus-Next case for example, they dropped LLE and "MLE" (hybrid HLE) to no confuse the users and closed the emulation to HLE only. Customization per game is even less intuitive compared to the original.

I prefer Beetle PSX* over many other emulators (even Xebra), but like many cores, is far to perfect.

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
I really did try to give RetroArch a chance on few occasions, but I only ever got it running on PC, which I'm not interested in as I do my retro gaming mostly on my GPD XD+ a portable android gaming device and RetroArch or mainly beetle psx never worked on it or my smartphone even with default settings.
Tell me exactly what I'm doing wrong here, I install RetroArch64 as both my devices have 64bit supported CPUs thou I even tried the 32bit version as well, I put the BIOS file SCPH5001 in the system folder, I launch RetroArch, install both beetle psx cores, load either of them up, load the content/game, start it and I get a black screen with just the overlays.
The CD image isn't an issue it's standard BIN/CUE combo which works perfectly in ePSXe and PCSXR core, which the latter I'm not interested in.
So any clues why it doesn't work by default?

Lastly as I mentioned previously I don't like RetroArch cause it has to many cores for some systems like GBA it has around 10 cores, how is one supposed to know which ones are the best, outside of trying them all, like why it needs this many cores, which many were never properly finished or improved, it's like using psxfin nowdays, why even include these?

·
302 Posts
Small update of a previous post:

The minimum setting for Beetle PSX HW to work:
Code:
Settings > Driver:
                 * Video Driver:    glcore
           Directory:
                 * System/BIOS
Currently, the only valid options are glcore and vulkan. If you change the driver, close the application and open it again to apply those changes.
Look at the docs for more info...

Go to Main Menu > Load Content, load a game (*.cue, *.ccd, *.m3u, etc) and select Beetle PSX HW as core.

To enhance:
F1 > Quick Menu > Options

That's the minimum.

Input and controls

Some PSX games are incompatible with DualShock (SCPH-1200). In such cases, you must switch to PlayStation Controller (SCPH-1080).

Other adjustments that you should probably pay close attention too:
Code:
Settings > Video:
                * Aspect Ratio
                * Windowed Scale
                * Threaded Video
           Input:
                * Input User 1 Binds
           Configuration
           User
           Directory:
                * File Browser
                * Savefile
                * Savestate
For multiple-disk games and saves.

cya

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
Small update of a previous post:

The minimum setting for Beetle PSX HW to work:
Code:
Settings > Driver:
                 * Video Driver:    glcore
           Directory:
                 * System/BIOS
Currently, the only valid options are glcore and vulkan. If you change the driver, close the application and open it again to apply those changes.
Look at the docs for more info...

Go to Main Menu > Load Content, load a game (*.cue, *.ccd, *.m3u, etc) and select Beetle PSX HW as core.

To enhance:
F1 > Quick Menu > Options

That's the minimum.

Input and controls

Some PSX games are incompatible with DualShock (SCPH-1200). In such cases, you must switch to PlayStation Controller (SCPH-1080).

Other adjustments that you should probably pay close attention too:
Code:
Settings > Video:
                * Aspect Ratio
                * Windowed Scale
                * Threaded Video
           Input:
                * Input User 1 Binds
           Configuration
           User
           Directory:
                * File Browser
                * Savefile
                * Savestate
For multiple-disk games and saves.

cya
I appreciate the help but sadly this does not help me, using either the gl or Vulcan I still get black screen on two different games, the BIOS file is proper and in the right folder as otherwise I get a message saying BIOS file not found.

·
Registered
307 Posts
retroarch, if I am not mistaken, does not warn "bios not found" error in default configuration.

however, the 3 bios are required in both pure mednafen and fork beetle psx.

a few games as far as I can remember are required to force the use of a particular bios at least in mednafen.

and it is important that skip bios is disabled to increase compatibility when using beetle psx.

mednafen games incompatibility list: "Known issues with games as of 1.22.2"
https://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=msg&th=1114&start=0&

bios sha-256 hashes:
https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/psx.html

mednafen parameter "-psx.region_default na" to use 5501 bios as default, or
"psx.region_default na" inside the mednafen.cfg file to get the same effect.

I don't remember for sure... maybe it was mega man x3 or spider man... I remember that one game with an old version of mednafen I had to force the correct bios because the emulator recognized its location wrong and through the wrong location the game did not start.

but I don't remember using beetle psx at the same time, I don't know what the behavior would be like.

cheers!

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
retroarch, if I am not mistaken, does not warn "bios not found" error in default configuration.

however, the 3 bios are required in both pure mednafen and fork beetle psx.

a few games as far as I can remember are required to force the use of a particular bios at least in mednafen.

and it is important that skip bios is disabled to increase compatibility when using beetle psx.

mednafen games incompatibility list: "Known issues with games as of 1.22.2"
https://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=msg&th=1114&start=0&

bios sha-256 hashes:
https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/psx.html

mednafen parameter "-psx.region_default na" to use 5501 bios as default, or
"psx.region_default na" inside the mednafen.cfg file to get the same effect.

I don't remember for sure... maybe it was mega man x3 or spider man... I remember that one game with an old version of mednafen I had to force the correct bios because the emulator recognized its location wrong and through the wrong location the game did not start.

but I don't remember using beetle psx at the same time, I don't know what the behavior would be like.

cheers!
sssd.PNG
Same on any other version.

·
302 Posts
The machine needs at least support for OpenGL 3.2 or greater.

The BIOS must have exactly the indicated filename(s) and generate exactly the same SHA1. That includes all lowercase letters. There are other valid filenames, but it's better avoid them.

Code:
Filename: scph5500.bin | SHA1: B05DEF971D8EC59F346F2D9AC21FB742E3EB6917
Filename: scph5501.bin | SHA1: 0555C6FAE8906F3F09BAF5988F00E55F88E9F30B
Filename: scph5502.bin | SHA1: F6BC2D1F5EB6593DE7D089C425AC681D6FFFD3F0
I can't think in anything else... Can you try with Beetle PSX in place to Beetle PSX HW?

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
The machine needs at least support for OpenGL 3.2 or greater.

The BIOS must have exactly the indicated filename(s) and generate exactly the same SHA1. That includes all lowercase letters. There are other valid filenames, but it's better avoid them.

Code:
Filename: scph5500.bin | SHA1: B05DEF971D8EC59F346F2D9AC21FB742E3EB6917
Filename: scph5501.bin | SHA1: 0555C6FAE8906F3F09BAF5988F00E55F88E9F30B
Filename: scph5502.bin | SHA1: F6BC2D1F5EB6593DE7D089C425AC681D6FFFD3F0
I can't think in anything else... Can you try with Beetle PSX in place to Beetle PSX HW?
I dunno what to tell you my friend, but the checksums check out, both devices support OGLS3.2 and I have tested on both beetles core on two different games same result a black screen, only PCSXR core work's.
Out of boredom I tested the pc version, same result so I really dunno.
Also skip BIOS is off.

·
302 Posts
Did you mention installing RetroArch? Personally I have never seen the need to do so. The development of most emulators is so fast that any installer becomes obsolete in a matter of days. I hope you didn't install it in a system directory... simply use the 7z package and extract it in your user profile, is safer.

If "Settings>Directory>System/BIOS" is configured correctly, then I have no idea what could be wrong. I give up.

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
Did you mention installing RetroArch? Personally I have never seen the need to do so. The development of most emulators is so fast that any installer becomes obsolete in a matter of days. I hope you didn't install it in a system directory... simply use the 7z package and extract it in your user profile, is safer.

If "Settings>Directory>System/BIOS" is configured correctly, then I have no idea what could be wrong. I give up.
Well I mostly refer to the android version as it is the one I want to test with beetle cores, I did try the pc version and I did use the 7z package, just extracted it in a folder on the desktop.
I'm puzzled as well as I changed nothing, just trying it on default, and the BIOS and CD images are fine as they work perfectly on every other emulator.

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
Okay, I'm just gonna shoot myself in the foot here and say that sometimes I'm stupid, but I also say that the beetle core is kinda dumb to have this issue.
The problem was as some of you already stated the naming of the BIOS files, I was dumb and didn't double check the names as they worked with no issues with PCSXR core and I didn't get the previously mentioned missing firmware/BIOS files just a black screen.
So yeah a quick name correction of the 3 BIOS files, which I also say is dumb that you have not only have the specific model of BIOS scph550X but also from 3 different regions to play imports, but I digress, everything works fine now.

Sorry y'all and thanks for all the help.

Cheers.

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
Sorry for double post.

Now that my dumbass managed to get RetroArch Beetle core working I came upon another issue, that is the emulator not recognising PS1 games inside a PBP compressed container, it will run them just fine but the emulator sees all of them as 1 game, since they're all named EBOOT.PBP, which means some features like cheats, achievements, game list don't work and others like memory cards and save states are using one and the same files, meaning I can load a save state from Spory while playing Medievil.

This is a bit of an issue as i don't intend to re organise/rename and decompress my whole collection and ePSXe has no issues with this whatsoever.

Any advice?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts