Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get that people might not be aware, as I once was, but with Retroarch there is almost no reason to use this emulator anymore. Beetle puts this emulator to shame. I have none of the sound issues or any other issues that I had with ePSXe. You can port your saves, and doing filters is extremely easy and intuitive in the vastly superior UI that RA offers.

Their shader system is also amazing. I mostly use Easy Mode CRT, but calibrating and comparing it with screenshots has never been easier than with their system where you can preview all your changes to the various settings within the UI of RA.

Stop using this garbage. You can thank me later.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Unless you're running the emulators on Android devices, then the Retroarch Beetle PSX core is quite slow since it doesn't have Dynarec CPU emulation yet. You also can't get useable HD(4x) resolutions on Android with any of the PSX emulation cores in Retroarch. I can appreciate both ePSXe and the PSX emulation cores in RetroArch without crapping on one or the other.

Maybe your intentions are good, but your delivery won't win many to your cause.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't make much sense. Unless I am running on Android? My Desktop PC is a gaming PC. Slow or fast for PSX doesn't matter.

ePSXe is dated garbage. Their UI is terrible. They still have grammar problems in the UI for the love of god. Their sound emulation is busted, and nothing works like it should half the time. The emulator is updated once every two years at this point. There is literally no reason to not use the RA Beetle core unless you are plugging in a toaster. It's 2017 not 2011. I may have agreed with you 5 or 6 years ago. We have come a long way.

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
Why i use ePSXe? because it's easy to setup and use and does exactly what i want it to do, which i can't say for Retroarch as i still can't make it work with it's horrid XMB menu rip off.
I just need an emulator for PS1, not this Windows Media Center knock off, i have far better program for pictures and movies and i definitively don't need all those other emulators it supports.
Being able to switch settings on the fly would be nice, but with newest ePSXe the only time you would need is the occasional tweak or as you mentioned shaders, which i don't use anyway.
Sound emulation is one of the hardest thing to do perfectly, more then often when trying to fix one thing you will brake another, for example with the update 1.9.0, the music in Medievil 2 was completely broken despite it being perfect since 1.5.2, and im yet to found an emulator that will play "Monkey Hero" perfectly, on each case the sound effects are missing, even on Xebra THE MOST ACCURATE PS1 EMULATOR.
I once spoke with ePSXe devs about it, and they said that it can't be done without messing up something else, apparently "Monkey Hero" does some weird voodo with it sound processing, i would like to give RetroArch a try, but i can't get this shit to work.
So we will see.

UI is what it is, some will love, some will hate it, RetroArch maybe good for like a gaming center, for someone who has to have 20 different emulators and 1000+ games, but for a dude who just want's to play that one PS1 classic, retroarch is garbage.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
That doesn't make much sense. Unless I am running on Android? My Desktop PC is a gaming PC. Slow or fast for PSX doesn't matter.
It matters a lot if it's a slideshow running. Just because you only use it on your PC doesn't mean there aren't people running ePSXe on Android mobile devices. Not to mention you completely ignored the HD(4x) resolution part as well. :rolleyes: I'd suggest you try running the RetroArch PSX emulation cores on a mobile Android device and let me know how that turns out for you.

Running PSX emulation on a desktop PC is so 2011. :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Running PSX emulation on a desktop PC is how emulation is meant to be played in fact. This is why all the accurate emulators, you know with the smartest people doing the hard work to make them accurate, are situated for PCs.

Yay mobile emulation! Another thing you can do on your phone! OH THE JOY!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Why i use ePSXe? because it's easy to setup and use and does exactly what i want it to do, which i can't say for Retroarch as i still can't make it work with it's horrid XMB menu rip off.
I just need an emulator for PS1, not this Windows Media Center knock off, i have far better program for pictures and movies and i definitively don't need all those other emulators it supports.
Being able to switch settings on the fly would be nice, but with newest ePSXe the only time you would need is the occasional tweak or as you mentioned shaders, which i don't use anyway.
Sound emulation is one of the hardest thing to do perfectly, more then often when trying to fix one thing you will brake another, for example with the update 1.9.0, the music in Medievil 2 was completely broken despite it being perfect since 1.5.2, and im yet to found an emulator that will play "Monkey Hero" perfectly, on each case the sound effects are missing, even on Xebra THE MOST ACCURATE PS1 EMULATOR.
I once spoke with ePSXe devs about it, and they said that it can't be done without messing up something else, apparently "Monkey Hero" does some weird voodo with it sound processing, i would like to give RetroArch a try, but i can't get this shit to work.
So we will see.

UI is what it is, some will love, some will hate it, RetroArch maybe good for like a gaming center, for someone who has to have 20 different emulators and 1000+ games, but for a dude who just want's to play that one PS1 classic, retroarch is garbage.
If you can't make one of the easiest to run programs work I would think it's your own ignorance preventing you from doing so. One thing Retroarch is not.... is complicated.

They are redoing the UI anyway at some point. There is nothing wrong with the XMB either.

I don't care if sound emulation is the hardest thing to do. It's garbage on ePSXe, a crappy emulator that never gets updated. Shaders. Ahh you don't use shaders, you know the thing that pretty much everyone uses to make their games actually look decent on PSX.

ePSXe does in fact support shaders, they just have a terrible system of doing it. Your comments on Retroarch fit exactly into the type of person that does not use it because: ignorance.

Not sure if I said it in this thread, maybe I should clarify, but the only people unwilling to run retroarch are the ignorant or those with phones (lol).

Considering ePSXe is actually a complicated mess for users, with a terrible plug in system, it's pretty hilarious you couldn't find the download core option in retroarch to boot your game. NICE! It's so hard that it takes like 3 clicks to get you up and running.

In fact retroarch works perfectly for one game as it does 1000 games. Its save system is much better than ePSXe. You will never lose a save. Ever. Updating cores will not promote loss of data. Nor will you have any problems updating your cores. ePSXe again here is pure garbage in this aspect. Luckily, you barely have to worry because they rarely if ever update the crappy emulator to begin with.

Controls: Retroarch kicks the living crap out of epsxe for controls. Retro immediately detects your controller. You don't even have to do anything lol. You also don't need most of the XMB to run anything. You can control the appearance of the UI as to your liking for the most part. Previews in shaders are also a massive improvement for people that need to see what shaders are doing in real time. Having a favorite list is amazing too for one emulator or five. It doesn't matter. The benefits of using RA are so far beyond a crappy emulator like ePSXe that I should probably stop typing now.

Your idea that you want to play one classic PSX game, and that retroarch is somehow worse at playing one game rather than 1000 is completely inept and just wrong.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Running PSX emulation on a desktop PC is how emulation is meant to be played in fact. This is why all the accurate emulators, you know with the smartest people doing the hard work to make them accurate, are situated for PCs.

Yay mobile emulation! Another thing you can do on your phone! OH THE JOY!
Is that why RetroArch is not on Android? o_O I like the option of taking PSX emulation with me on my Shield Android Tablet anywhere with me. Or be home and plug the tablet into my HD TV and play it there. OH THE JOY!!! :)

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Not sure if I said it in this thread, maybe I should clarify, but the only people unwilling to run retroarch are the ignorant or those with phones (lol).
Most people run whatever they want on whatever device. And sometimes it's not by choice. What about people who run both ePSXe and RetroArch for PSX emulators and can enjoy the benefits of both?

You're not going to win anyone to your side with that mindset.

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
Is that why RetroArch is not on Android? o_O I like the option of taking PSX emulation with me on my Shield Android Tablet anywhere with me. Or be home and plug the tablet into my HD TV and play it there. OH THE JOY!!! :)
Actually it is on andoird, as well as every other system out there, PS3/PSP/VITA/GC/WIN98/WIIU/X360/XBOX the list goes on and on.
http://www.retroarch.com/index.php?page=platforms

If you can't make one of the easiest to run programs work I would think it's your own ignorance preventing you from doing so. One thing Retroarch is not.... is complicated.

They are redoing the UI anyway at some point. There is nothing wrong with the XMB either.

I don't care if sound emulation is the hardest thing to do. It's garbage on ePSXe, a crappy emulator that never gets updated. Shaders. Ahh you don't use shaders, you know the thing that pretty much everyone uses to make their games actually look decent on PSX.

ePSXe does in fact support shaders, they just have a terrible system of doing it. Your comments on Retroarch fit exactly into the type of person that does not use it because: ignorance.

Considering ePSXe is actually a complicated mess for users, with a terrible plug in system, it's pretty hilarious you couldn't find the download core option in retroarch to boot your game. NICE! It's so hard that it takes like 3 clicks to get you up and running.

In fact retroarch works perfectly for one game as it does 1000 games. Its save system is much better than ePSXe. You will never lose a save. Ever. Updating cores will not promote loss of data. Nor will you have any problems updating your cores. ePSXe again here is pure garbage in this aspect. Luckily, you barely have to worry because they rarely if ever update the crappy emulator to begin with.

Controls: Retroarch kicks the living crap out of epsxe for controls. Retro immediately detects your controller. You don't even have to do anything lol. You also don't need most of the XMB to run anything. You can control the appearance of the UI as to your liking for the most part. Previews in shaders are also a massive improvement for people that need to see what shaders are doing in real time. Having a favorite list is amazing too for one emulator or five. It doesn't matter. The benefits of using RA are so far beyond a crappy emulator like ePSXe that I should probably stop typing now.

Your idea that you want to play one classic PSX game, and that retroarch is somehow worse at playing one game rather than 1000 is completely inept and just wrong.
Man someone had to really piss in your cereal or you're just a troll, either way whatever makes you happy i suppose.
As i wrote above UI is what it is some hate it some love it, i hate XMB clones for more complex stuff as to change anything i have to scroll through every single option just to change one thing, when in ePSXe every option is just a few mouse clicks away.

Thanks for insulting my intelligence jackass even you don't know me, i did download Beetles PSX core and loaded it which i may add is a bit of a pain having to load a core each time RetroArch is started, it's when i tried to "load content" i kept getting failed to load it or it completely crashes, which i guessed is to fact that im missing the very specific BIOS file that it needs SCPH550X which not every one will have, i myself only have SCPH100X and SC750X from both my first PS1 and newest one legally dumped from my old consoles.
So after obtanied the required BIOS files, did i managed to "load content', which ended up with a black screen.
Now i either have to google search an answer or use an online guide which is a pain for most people, now let's try ePSXe.

Upon first start ePSXe opens with a nice Wizard Guide that explains every step, first select your BIOS file, if you don't have one, no problem just select HLE as ePSXe no longer requires it so just press next, now you have GPU plugin to select either hardware accelerated or pure software, if you don't want to mess with it just select one press NICE on the defult setting and got to the next thing, SPU plugin nothing to do here so just next, same with CD drive plugin just press next, now controls just select what you're playing with keyboard, pad and just set it up, or if you have a compatible PAD like a DS4 just select Xinput and no configuration required, and you're done, just start game either from CD or file and it works, and if you want to change something it's just a few mouse clicks, no need to scroll through every option in there.

Also your point with ePSXe being complicated due to it being plugin based emulator is invalid as the are no other plugins for it, all other plugins like eternal, dsound, or even PETES plugins are outdated, the only plugins now to use are the ones that come with ePSXe so no need to download any additional plugins/cores or any other crap.

As i said before RetroArch maybe good if you have dozen or so systems with hundreds of games after spending an hour or two setting everything up, but just for PS1 it's a pain.

Also worth mentioning RetroArch takes 350MB of space, versus ePSXe 1.5MB unpacked,

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
In terms of game emulation compatibility, the Beetle PSX core is much better in that regard. 90% of the time a game will work fine in ePSXe though. If you have a powerful enough Desktop computer, you can use some of the rendering hacks with the Beetle PSX Hardware Core to make the games look even better.

On Android, ePSXE does have some features that are missing or not useable from the Cores in RetroArch. Cloud Memcard/Savestate Saving shared between devices. Per game settings profiles for auto launch(includes input). Useable emulated PSX CPU overclocking. Useable subpixel accuracy hack(less wobbly 3d in HD).

·
302 Posts
The first time I build RetroArch and run it... I messed up the configuration. Advice, don't change the "GUI" controls, is bad idea... unless you know where and how to clean your mess.

Strictly speaking of PSX emulation, you only needs RetroArch CLI (man), the beetle-psx-libretro core and the BIOS (scph5500.bin, scph5501.bin, scph5502.bin).
Optionally you can choice between two GUI's in PC, RGUI or / and XMB. You can use the GUI's to configure your core the first time and use the CLI to launch the games without touch anything of that again... is your choice.

If you want all the fancy stuff and don't have time to learn all the crap. Use the huge installer, is the easiest way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to this guys post i decided to update retroarch and try these psx beetle cores out (i was never to impressed with the psx-rearmed core) . For some reason it wont let me use them to load any single psx game. It tells me to use the other suggested cores of which the only psx core is rearmed. Ive tried different ways like loading the core first etc and no dice. Ive never had any trouble with any other cores or emu's in general. I know how to place the bios etc.
I play many emulators from nes to dreamcast without much issue. Never had any issue with epsxe except some audio stutter on more complex games which is probably due more to the capability of my tablet.
I know i probably sound like some friend of the epsxe devs, but i truly am not and have never even spoken to them. Just saying the retroarch/beetle thing is not as sweet and easy as the op was making out.

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,885 Posts
What's the point of this thread? Legitimate question.

Options are nice and even inferior software can have advantages depending on the use case.
VLC vs MPC-HC, Foobar vs Winamp, Star/Libre/SunOffice vs MS Office, Gimp vs Corel paint etc

Do you want to genocide everything you deem sub optimal?
Should people who have different preferences to you need silenced?
Are you ...triggered?

What is your aim with this thread?
If you can't provide one then I'll assume it was for $0.50 deposited into your shill account.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
What's the point of this thread? Legitimate question.

Options are nice and even inferior software can have advantages depending on the use case.
VLC vs MPC-HC, Foobar vs Winamp, Star/Libre/SunOffice vs MS Office, Gimp vs Corel paint etc

Do you want to genocide everything you deem sub optimal?
Should people who have different preferences to you need silenced?
Are you ...triggered?

What is your aim with this thread?
If you can't provide one then I'll assume it was for $0.50 deposited into your shill account.
actually MPC-BE rules them all...lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with quality presented by retroarch for psx .BUT compatibility , speed, and accuracy of textures are far from acceptable. In some games are so drasticly broken that its nowhere near good.
But as such it shows great promise for future.

At the moment agreeing with the statement of @u3L05 vh9jV

1 - 20 of 63 Posts