Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 6 months ago I got a new PC, Quad Core Q6600, Dual 9600GT graphics cards and 4 gigs ram....

so I put in my FFX game to see if itll run well and its still as laggy as it was on my old computer....

today, I thought I'd try it again except I created an image of my game, and found I was able to practically run it perfectly on max settings

why is this not addressed in any of the help topics? all of them talk about GPU and CPU insufficiencies but none mention that games will be slow if run from a dvd drive? :mad:

·
The Master of Disguise
808 Posts
Well, you could have figure that out if u did a little research, a good start would be looking at the screenshot thread and looking at the setting of every individual. You will notice that everyone uses Linuzapps as their DVD plugin.

If the game drops below full speed a lot, u could download the Beta Version located in pcsx2.net and check all speed hacks, though keep in mind that there is no support for beta versions here.

btw : Running the game from your HDD also decreases loading time.

·
Super Moderator
13,072 Posts
none mention that games will be slow if run from a dvd drive? :mad:
It's normally common knowledge that reading from hard drives is faster than reading from optical media. And it is mentioned in the informational threads about pcsx2 (it just isnt mentioned in the threads that talk specifically about GPU and CPU)

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Try using gabests cdvd plugin, link in my sig. It should be at least a little faster in certain situations for dvd reading then peops. Particularily I've noticed load times at beginning of games.

·
Registered
68 Posts
seriously, every thread that ive seen that deals with speed issues, either the op is using the iso already, of the next poster suggests using the iso, so either you didnt read the threads completely, or you are just a person who lies on the threads to get your question answered so you dont have to read the other threads to answer the problem yourself.

·
$2 per holla
457 Posts
Well, to be frank, half the people who use the emulators pirate the ROMs, thus they don't bother to burn to a disc and run it straight from ISO instead, since that's been a feature in emulation since the original PS1 projects.

So kudos to you if you actually own the original disc/wasted a dvd burning the image. But maybe read around next time before whining about why nobody told you. I know for a fact I've told at least 4 people who've asked about speed issues to rip an iso instead of play via optical drive.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well of course its laggy...this has no quad support for this from what I can tell it can't even use 4 threads correctly...causes crashes/bad lag from me testing it.

Had you done a simple search for FFX my FFX-2 thread would have poped and you would have known this...I showed configurations and clock speeds/fps. Same results for FFX as well.

Overclock to 3.0ghz-3.2ghz for stable performance. I never see anything below 60 FPS @ 3.2ghz...at 3.0ghz there was lag from time to time in the most stupid places. (in the airship was most of the issue)

Also this emulator doesn't even use 10% of my 8800GT @ x16AA so its not a GPU issue.

If you wanted to max everything then a E8400 @ 4.0ghz would have been a better option for speeds.
Quad support might pop up later (I hear a lot of talk but can't find any real posts discussing the matter) but I highly doubt it.

·
Registered IT crowd
680 Posts
About 6 months ago I got a new PC, Quad Core Q6600, Dual 9600GT graphics cards and 4 gigs ram....

so I put in my FFX game to see if itll run well and its still as laggy as it was on my old computer....

today, I thought I'd try it again except I created an image of my game, and found I was able to practically run it perfectly on max settings

why is this not addressed in any of the help topics? all of them talk about GPU and CPU insufficiencies but none mention that games will be slow if run from a dvd drive? :mad:
If you don't know something so obvious, just stop emulating games and stick to your PS2:lol:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Um, how the hell is this not obvious? I refuse to believe that if you know how to correctly name the parts of your computer, and were able to successfully download and install PCSX2, that you don't know something that is so simple.

·
Gaming Sensei
211 Posts
I just wish "they" (and by they, I mean hardware manufacturers) would create drives that DON'T spin-down every other bloody second. Console drives spin at a constant speed, well - if not constant it's usually between 2-10 -- but they're always spinning, which stops the games from hitching and locking up while the drive spins up. PC drives, on the other hand, do the exact bloody opposite!

*insert garbled scream of frustration here*

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
PC drives are not prepared for the task of constantly reading parts of a disc.
The cdvd plugin maker has to think of some way to use the drive better.
I just tested gigaherz's cdvd driver vs peops and the difference is obvious.
(Reading from iso is still way better, and recommended) :p

·
Gaming Sensei
211 Posts
That's just my point.. hardware manufacturers should MAKE them better prepared :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, you had your fun making a fool of me >_>

I guess back when I played on my PS1 emulator, I noticed pretty much no difference in speed between playing from an ISO and playing from a CD, so I thought it would be the same with PS2

·
Gaming Sensei
211 Posts
There's a lot more data to shift on PS2 games over PS1 games, so the machine needs a constant stream from the disk ... if that stream is interrupted, like when the drive slows down, the game hitches a little.

Just rip to ISO and have fun :)

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
Uh because even when it's slow when it loads from the disc it runs normally after it's done loading. So if you had very low speed in the intro which is not a FMV or even when the game starts... when u can control your char then you had something else killing your performace. :eek:

I usually test games from the disc itself and with some game exceptions where it laods data constantly it runs fine here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is funny. I actually don't use Linuzapps ISO plugin because I couldn't get it to work and rather than troubleshoot I figured I'd just use Daemon Tools to host the image on a virtual drive and then point the cdvd plugin to that drive which works just the same. So yeah I still use the CDVD plugin.

And I can proudly say that YES I did rip my FFXII iso from a legitimately purchased rom (MY rom not a friends). Paid $50 for the game. Yet it's worth every penny! :D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts