Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know version numbering is one of those things that's different with every author, myself included.

but i'm seeing a trend here, could be general, but quite obvious particularly for psx emus.
all the version numbers are 1.xxx
VGS, bleem!, ePSXe, Pete's, Iori's, Lewpy's... everybody's versions are 1.something

is it that there has been no break thru? i meant why not bump to version 2 when you have considerably changed something.

one of my quake2 mods did go from v1.2 to v2.0, when i changed the whole approach (algorithm).

i'm not complaining or anything. and it's possible everyone has good reason. but i'm just wondering if some of you dont... like completely forgotten about that "1." prefix on your version numbers ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
One of the worst was Zsnes,for a long time it used to be 0.xxxx(something like 0.978a/b/c :eek: :eek: )

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't know if it's still true, but the Zsnes web site used to refered to the emulator as being in its beta stage. As such, it's likely that they wished to keep it under 1.xx for quite some time. Of course, I doubt they could have kept expanding the minor revision numbers for much longer, seeing as how it was something like .99850 or something when they finally switched over to 1.x with the launch of the Windows version.

I can't speak for the emu authors, of course, but I know when I create something I try to make it as flawless as possible before refering to it as being finished[1], perhaps it's true in this case as well.

[1] : I could bore you with a tale regarding how I ended up missing a test grade once because of this, but I'm sure no one would be interested.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm interested, tell me tell me :D

for the "why not"
because if there's no chance to go to 2.x, then the "1." is meaningless. we might as well have epsxe 2.0 and 4.0 instead of 1.2.0 and 1.4.0 :p
use that first number as an indication of major revision, and it becomes useful, like the way it should.

·
Registered
324 Posts
THE worst imho was MAME, they used 0.37 (and it was the same with 0.36 I believe) for like a year, with a "beta xx" suffix. I agree with Takwu though.. ePSXe 1.0.1 could've been 1.5 just as well :) But that's all up to the author, ofcourse.

·
Registered
324 Posts
When thinking about it, lots of 'homebrewn' freeware programs have a 0.xx version number; they can't guarantee anything, but it works, and can be quite fun sometimes. With shareware and commercial products, they start at 1.0 VERY often, to give the customor a feeling the product is stable and good, and when a 2.0+ comes out, it means a lot has changed and you know what you've paid for. Even if an emulator (take ePSXe for instance) would get a great update (1.0.1, 1.2.0 and 1.4.0 were all great compared to their predecessors), you won't see the author easily skip 1 whole number, because it might only raise too much expectations, which they can't handle especially since it all started as a hobby...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts