Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a whole buncha problems getting FF9 to run nice on my new PC...

1) In Pete's OGL 1.55 AND 1.54, backgrounds have really ugly tiling problems... see below. I've tried this in both 640x480 and 1024x768. This happens with no filtering on. Filtering helps, but not a lot. GeForce3 Ti200, 23.11 drivers. I thought that messing with the OGL settings in the GF3 properties would help, but I can't get to them. :confused:

2) Using Pete's D3D solves that problem, but at the end of the first battle (between Baku and the Tantalus crew) ePSXe dies and goes back to Windows. The command prompt says "ePSXe (error): recompile block too large." Huh?

3) Also in Pete's D3D, when you try to steal something in battle, no message appears at the top stating the results of the steal attempt.

4) With the Eternal 1.1 SPU, there is major stuttering in MDECs. I realize that changing the buffer can fix this, but I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend some settings.

5) With both Pete's OGL and D3D, battle transitions are slow: ~10 FPS in OGL and ~30 FPS in D3D. They were nice and zippy with my old comp (Celly 500, GF2MX).

Aye carumba. Help is mucho appreciated.

**D3D Settings**
Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.55
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200

Resolution/Color:
- 1024x768 Fullscreen - [32 Bit]

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 4
- Caching: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 60

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: hardware

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00000300]

**OGL Settings**
Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.55
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce3/AGP/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
- 1024x768 Fullscreen - Desktop changing [32 Bit]
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 4
- Caching: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 60

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: on

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Line mode: off
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00000300]

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Try disabling FSAA, I encountered several flaws w/ games displaying 2d background (strangely, not ff9 or even chrono cross).
For the big slowdown before the battle, it's a well known issue:
Enabling fsaa w/ the framebuffer effects just slows down the all. (disable fsaa or set the framebuffer option to "black")

The crash after the first battle is due to the spu plugin, (never tried w/ eternal spu btw) just do a save state right before the crash happens, switch the spu plugin (take the epsxe internal one instead of your spu for example) and load the save state to get pass trough that glitch.

and I highly recommend you to play w/ the pete's ogl plugin since it's most suited for geforce cards
oh and untick the "keep psx aspect ratio" box...it might also solve the black lines prob w/o disabling fsaa...

bye

~edit~:
Oops, my bad.
I didn't see that was a tiling effect (thought this was some kind of black lines).
It's also a (too) well-known glitch, since you are using the texture filtering and cuz' psx textures weren't supposed to receive some bilinear filtering, that makes the tiling glitch.
Read the readme.txt in the pete's plugin pack for more information. I'd
suggest you to try the extended w/ smoothed sprites filtering, works great here.

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
Well,several users reported that they had some tiling problems when running ePSXe on a GeForce3,try to use a different set of drivers.
And,ahem,Rargh,Asfaloth never talked about the oh so legendary crash due to the SPU plugin :p (doesn't happen with Etenal SPU anyway).
About the stuttering MDECs,you must uncheck the SPU irq hack in ePSXe sound config and enable it in Eternal SPU's config.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
> It's also a (too) well-known glitch, since you are using the texture filtering and cuz' psx textures weren't supposed to receive some bilinear filtering, that makes the tiling glitch.

It happens with or without filtering on. With filtering off, it's worse. I'll check the readme though.

> About the stuttering MDECs,you must uncheck the SPU irq hack in ePSXe sound config and enable it in Eternal SPU's config.

I'll try that too, thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.