Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any fanfic writers out here? I'm sure there are some creative people here who know their favorite games so well as to write stories based on them.

I have two fanfics based on some of my favorite games (but both have crossovers with certain TV series).

Wing Commander: Senshi Squardon - Wing Commander x Sailor Moon crossover (inspired by a similar fanfic that crosses Sailor Moon with the Wing Commander Motion Picture)

Toki Days - Tokimeki Memorial x Happy Days crossover (I know it sounds like a crazy idea, but just think of what would happen if Shiori and company met a guy in Kirameki HS with all the great qualities of The Fonz).

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
I prefer not to write fanfics about a game that's not mine. Everything I write I feel should me 100% mine :)

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
heh heh

S

·
0 Posts
[email protected]

well, aside from a very cheesy MGS sidestory I just happened to repost today (is that coïncidence or something?) in the MGS movie topic ....not really. Allthough I've tought about it sometimes.
I saw an interesting story for a sonic fan game once where Tails is killed. I thought that was actually a cool idea (and I even kinda like Tails).

I do make up (mostly in my head) stories featuring my own characters, and I actually thought of killing one off. I demo-ed it once here and ..I guess it's been the drawing style, but due to the comic reactions I made it funny (tomato sauce).

The reason for me to use self-made characters is more a feeling of freedom. with fanfics, you are kind of bound to what already happened, otherwise your story is inconsistent.
I once read a DBZ fanfic about Vegeta and his family (he had a daughter) and it was quite a good read. It added new elements without messing up the existing story, and it was actually (to me) better than the real stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blueshogun96 said:
I prefer not to write fanfics about a game that's not mine. Everything I write I feel should me 100% mine :)
That's why all fanfic writers have this thing called a Disclaimer (denying any ownership of any intellectual properties involved, as well as acknowledging the property owners).

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sailor Enlil said:
That's why all fanfic writers have this thing called a Disclaimer (denying any ownership of any intellectual properties involved, as well as acknowledging the property owners).
Copyright or intellectual property laws aren't really the issue here. From what I interpreted from blueshogun96's post, he would rather write a story based on his own imagination and creativity rather than pre-set characters written by another author.

Not to say that fanfics can't be well-written or entertaining to read. And if you're writing it for the pure enjoyment of it, more power to you.

However, to those aspiring professional authors/writers who are using fanfics as a starting point, if you're already investing that much time and effort into writing fiction, why not create your own characters and original storyline?

Quoting George R.R. Martin:

"The more you write, the better you'll get. But don't write in my universe, or Tolkien's, or the Marvel universe, or the Star Trek universe, or any other borrowed background. Every writer needs to learn to create his own characters, worlds, and settings. Using someone else's world is the lazy way out. If you don't exercise those "literary muscles," you'll never develop them."

·
Banned
177 Posts
I used to visit chatrooms where we usually would run story lines aka role playing..problem was id just usually end up cy0bring with some lame chick who thinks she is like Queen of the Nile or something :lol:

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Samor said:
I second that...

As far fanfictions... I've "developed" like 3 new Lunars (taking place in times prior to TSS), unfortunately I never got further than writing some names and pivotal points on .doc file lying somewhere on my old HDD... most of the stuff, however, is still pretty much intact on my head... perhaps some day...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts