Im looking for a new intel mobo
Who makes the best

btw I have a p4 2.8

any reccomendations of a specific one

oh yeah and will a pci express nvidia card work with a regular pci slot

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
ASUS, ABIT and MSI are good motherboards. Soltek also makes decent ones, but i heard Chaintech is something to be avoided. p4 2.8? That processor is quite new. Is this the comp that doesnt have mobo with agp slot? I thought that making of cheap mobos without agp slot stopped years ago.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah Im afraid so
I cant understand why doesnt have one

However the pci express line works with just a standard pci slot Ill be in good shape

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Can you post a pic of your mobo? I would be interesting in what it looks like. Or can you atleast figure what model is your mobo anyway?

I have no knowledge about PCI express so i have no comments on that.

·
I Burnt The Toast!
1,493 Posts
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe or any of the P4P800 series will be just fine, and decent cost.

·
Nobody Knows Him
526 Posts
meh, i got a MSI but that one is broken

I have heard alot good about ABIT

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
leadtek for me

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Albatron/Asus here. :cool:

·
Registered
780 Posts
I really like Albatron, but I broke my friend's mobo and gave him mine in a form of apology (I had built his comp with the same Albatron mobo I had) So for the time being, I'm on this outdated Shuttle. I may end up jumping straight to an athlon 64 instead of the mobile barton I was planning on getting.

·
Registered
608 Posts
IMHO: I don't think PCI Express Video cards will work with regular PCI slots. If they do, wouldn't it be really REALLY slow because of the bandwidth?

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I'll have to say ASUS boards are king. I own 6 of them ranging from 486 Socket 3 all the way to PIII Socket 370.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
PCI Express is completely different from Regular PCI in the shape and way it works. It isn't backwards compatible. There is one PCI Express slot (unless it's an Alienware) :p Andf then your regular PCI Slots. Hope that helps explain things. PCI Express right now is for Video Cards only.

As for what makes a good Motherboard. Pretty much it all depends. Of course you will need something P4 Compliant. Then what features you want and how much you are willing to pay. Motherboards aren't really an expensive thing considering what they do (I mean it's like the base of your computer!) So you can get some decent prices for some feature packed Mobo's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts