Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please advice me
which video player to get for a crappy pc
amd k6 450mhz with 256 ram and a SiS 8MB video card

It's that this is my pc at work and I got some time off
so I want to see the movie of Ghost in the Shell
but the playback is very slow and sometimes it skips frames
and I don't want that.

So which video player is the best suited for this task.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,478 Posts
I used Windows Media Player Classic on my pentium 200 32 Ram. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
If you are familiar with command line, I reccomend Mplayer. It's a great media player for linux, and it has a windows version too. I've never seen anything faster and lighter, but you have to give up of facilities like graphics interface.

If you want something easier to use, than Media Player Classic is a great choice. It does exactly what you want, and it's not a resource hog like Microsoft's Media Player.

·
Miserable Bugger
1,090 Posts
http://www.videolan.org/ is VLC's website and it is a great player but to be honest I wouldn't recommend it for a slow PC. It chews up quite a bit of resources and can freeze if you have too much else going on.

Media Player Classic is better but if you jsut want to watch movies and listen to some music, why not just run Windows Media Player 6.4 (in your Program Files/Windows Media Player folder), its quick, simple and easy to use.

Ps. I see FFDshow mentioned as a codec a lot. If I installed it on a clean installation of Windows, would I need to install any other codecs?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
DB7 said:
Ps. I see FFDshow mentioned as a codec a lot. If I installed it on a clean installation of Windows, would I need to install any other codecs?
nope. unless you want to decode something weird...but FFDshow decodes a lot of stuff so you'll be ok. like WindHydra said you can do real alternative, quicktime alternative...i've also had to install OggDS or AC3 filter in the past but it's no biggie (sometimes i dont need oggds it's weird).

·
Miserable Bugger
1,090 Posts
The next time I have to reinstall Windows (the way I can mess a computer up it happens quite often sadly) I'll give it a go and see what it can do.

ffdshow-20020617 is the latest version I can find, is there a newer one.

Ps. Sorry for going off-topic a little Silenus, but the less things you have to have installed on a old computer the better =)

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
The CVS builds work fine for me... (only 1 had problems). And I just found out you might need indeo codec too. My QuickCam records with indeo and the software installed the codec so I never realize I had the codec until trying to play the file on another computer oO

By the way, I was thinking "that looks like a avatar hushy would use... wait! It IS pushy!"

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Perhaps it's Hushy, perhaps it's teh sister... who knows? :evil:

·
Read Only
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had better luck with crystal player
it showed subtitles and was running faster than media player classic.
But still it took like 3 hours to watch a 1 1/2 hour anime movie.
I just put the speed troubleshouter to ignore.

This crappy PC sometimes just shows me a pink screen when trying to play a video,
I though it was codecs, but I installed kazaa lite codec pack and still it's the same problem.

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,478 Posts
oh my god, Never ever install codec packs Silenus. EVER!

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
I think it's just that your computer can't handle the movie :heh: Like how mine can't handle high definition. A new graphic card should help because the comp with radeon 7200 works, but the one with integrated gf4mx440 doesn't. But again, who wants to install a graphic card on a pc at work :evil:

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
DB7 said:
*DB7 hides in shame at getting excited at a hot girl
no shame in being straight (if you're a guy)...there's no shame in being gay either (if you're a girl).

Cid Highwind: how many times do i have to tell you not to discuss my ugly sister? ewww :hdbash:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.