Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never saw a thread like this before, so here U go. As for myself I like optical disk storage, well it is fast not very secure or reliable but it gives good capacity and performance.

Ali

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Magnetic storage media is dead. I think optical storage system is good for removable media, like disks that you have to carry from one place to another. Fixed disks are the best for now, but can't be carried from one place to another.

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
I'd go for fixed drives (might have something to do with the 112gb of drives I got in my comp) as I get sick of hunting around for a specific cd when I need something off it allthough cds are great as a extra precaution back up and for sharing stuff with friends

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Plus optical discs don't crash, and can't be demagnetized. As long as you take good care of 'em, can they last practically forever.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
you guys forgot flash chips. those are getting bigger every day and are the most portable.
im not sure what technology IBM microdrives use (i think its flash chip) but you can carry around gigs worth of data on your keychain with those..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Originally posted by Zephon
Magnetic storage media is dead.

Fixed disks are the best for now, but can't be carried from one place to another.
Yeah, fixed disks are magnetic storage media you tit. And you can get removable hdd caddys. So you're pretty much totally wrong.

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Originally posted by Phuzzi
Yeah, fixed disks are magnetic storage media you tit. And you can get removable hdd caddys. So you're pretty much totally wrong.
You're right, but when I said magnetic media, I meant floppy/tapes. Look at the pool and you'll see that Magnetic storage media is subdivided into "Fixed disks"(hdd) and simply "Magnetic media"(floppy, tapes).

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Originally posted by ebola
i must say i like my 250 meg zip drive.
How long does it take to record a full 250mb disk?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Originally posted by Zephon

You're right, but when I said magnetic media, I meant floppy/tapes. Look at the pool and you'll see that Magnetic storage media is subdivided into "Fixed disks"(hdd) and simply "Magnetic media"(floppy, tapes).
Yes, but you should have subdivided them into removable and fixed magnetic media.

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Phuzzi

Yes, but you should have subdivided them into removable and fixed magnetic media.
Chill up man.........he is following the division that I created and so I would rather like others to follow the same, that would be easier for all of us to understand the reply of eash memeber.

Bgnome> Great point....I knew that this media existed but since its use is not very frequent so far, so I thought putting it in a list would not be a good idea.

Ali

·
Registered
38 Posts
For myself i would prefer harddisks.... i have 500cds+ and it can be a pain hunt down one cd..... but when i have to go to some friends house i get cds....

[]'s

Tenchi Muyou

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
The idea of a fixed hard drive might change in the upcoming months. I believe Windows XP has support for hot-swappable hard drives, which'll allow you to plug in and out hard drives in real-time.

Currently my favorite removable storage medium would be the CD. They can hold a fair amount of data and are inexpensive.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Yes that is correct. I know someone with one. In my case I mainly use zips as the university has these in most machine on campus. Personally I prefer cd though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts