Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, this is my first post ladies and gentlemen, so here goes nothing.

im trying to run street fighter alpha3 [pal] on epsxe and all i get is slowdown , slowdown, and more slowdown. thw sound comes out horrible. the graphics are nice though, im using petes direct 3d and open gl plugin, soft plugin makes the graphics look like garbage on my computer screen. so im asking you wise emulation guys, what the heck do i do?:(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Um... use a PSX?

Sorry that wasn't much help. Hardware accelerated plugins will usually work best with games with some kind of 3d features. A 2d fighting game, well... you're going to get slowdown. Get a better CPU and play software mode at 640x480 :)

Additionally, it might help to post your system specs/plugin config.

Amberion

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops!

sorry, about that
ive never used message boards before. so heres my specs
tnt2 pro pci card running on top of in intergrated i810
700MHz celeron
windows millenium

Forgot to mention that 3d games come out way fast whilst the 2d games come way slow

·
Registered
129 Posts
2d sprites are usually rather large in size, like the background images. These take a long time to load and render, and any change in the sprites must be uploaded, then downloaded as they change. It's a little hard to describe, but the slowdown you're seeing is mostly the arduous task of loading the images to memory and displaying them. There's not much one can do about that, short of tiling the images and rendering each tile on it's own thin 3d pane. Hmm... That might work to speed up some emulation, but it'd probably break something in the process... can you give me the gpu plugin/ settings that you're using? I notice you've used Pete's Hardware plugins, he has a feature that copies plugin settings to the clipboard for debugging purposes. Try pasting those here.

Amberion

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another problem

umm.... to tell you the truth, i dont know what to do once you copied it to the clipboared ive been using bleem recently which also doent run street fighter alpha 3 right so im not use to epsxe,so ill just tell you the setting here:
petes direct 3d:16 bit color
640x480 resolution
no filtering
R4 G4 B4 A4 FAST BUT LESS COLOURFULL
off screen drawing extended
advance blending is in hardware
alpha multipass/mask bit on
framebuffer texture:black- fast but less coluorfull
auto detect frameskip
eternel spu plugin for sound

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Re: another problem

Originally posted by sonicfoot
off screen drawing extended
I think that may be part of the problem... you only need extended off screen drawing on certain games... if you're just playing 2D fighting games, set it to "None" or "Standard"... and also, make sure that "Enable Full RAM Primitives" is not checked.

Oh... once you copy the settings to clipboard, just paste it here... Ctrl-V or "Edit->Paste" should do the trick.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
First of all welcome to NGEMU.

Our specs are almost same except that you have got 200 mhz more in processor speed.Most games run well even on my low specs machine using epsxe so should work fine on your computer as well.

I would suggest you to change your sound plugin first of all coz eternal one almost always causes slowdowns.Secondly you should try making the iso of the game and see whether it helps.Thirdly you should follow kairi00's advice.You can also try turning off mask bit option.

I hope it helps.Actually I can afford much higher settings than these and still get constant 60 fps in most games.I dont have the game or i would have tested it(May be you can send the save state and I will test it out).

*NOTE* pete's direct 3d plugin is best for 810 chipset.

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
I found there are severe slowdowns in SFA3 in epsxe and there are no efficient ways to alleviate it. My suggestion would be to play 2D games (especially 2D capcom games) in CVGS. Your nvidia videocard will automatically enable DD filtering so the graphics will look smooth.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good and bad

thanks for the welcome guys.
sorry i took so long, but i tried the settings that kairi00 said and i noticed about 5 fps improvement, but not fast enough to run it at a decent speed, and as for prafull advice, ive already tried all the different sound plugins and i do get better speeds, but the sound is always skipping and reapeating over and over again which is irritating, only eternal spu plugin, althiugh slows the game down considerately, plays the sounds and music perfectly, so i have no choice but to use that, if i disabled the sound in epsxe, then i get an incredible speed boost, more than i need, and as for Demigod's advice, i at the moment do not have any means of getting cvgs as it is not availble in England where im from, however the demo i tried for cvgs runs it perfectly almost.
Man, i thought upgrading my i810 to a tnt2 pro pci would improve things a little, actually, before my graphics card upgrade, street fighter alpha 3 (pal) run much better in there than it does on my tnt2!
oh yeah, which file in street fighter alpha 3 is the iso?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Well, I guess the only feasible solution for you is to use the Soft plugin.. AFAIK, if you use Pete's Soft plugin on any nVidia based card, you'll get "free" DirectDraw filtering so that should help with the graphics. And it is also a known fact that playing 2D games with 3D plugins slows down the game considerably... at least that happened to me when I had a less-than-adequate P200MMX + Voodoo2.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved!

problem solved! ive just got connectix virtual game station now from a mate, and street fighter alpha 3 (pal)works like a charm!
all im waiting for now is a decnet sound plugin for epsxe that will run good and fast. so untill then.:cool:
thanks for the help guys, thanks for making my first post lively!
after this, i think everyone should get this game, its the only playstation 2d fighter that has had any sucess since they satated making 2d fighters on the playstation! look here for a review if youre interested!http://www.vgmuseum.com/reviews/ps/sfa3/
ill send down some screenshots of what it looks like on vgswin!

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
Use the Print Screen key to get screen shots. Then dump it into a graphics application and save it. You can also download the Aldos Screen Capture utility available from www.aldostools.com.

Yeah, SFA3 is a great game. They did a pretty good porting job, unlike many of their other games. The PSX version is missing some animation and stuff but the extra characters and the world tour mode more than make up for it :)

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
the dreamcast version of street fighter alpha3 which is the same as the ps version anyway:
http://www.all4games.com/dreamcast/streetfighter/013.html
Yes.. but with a lot of more animation frames.. Personally, I just play SFa3 online with winkawaks.. But I do play Marvel Vs Capcom(until the xors are out) on epsxe.. For that game I use Petes d3d gpu pluggin.. It seems to run faster for 2d stuff than lewpys glide pluggin, even though I have a voodoo 5.. The soft pluggins are also pretty good running 2d games.. Kazzuya's soft gpu has some cool filters that make the game look pretty good.. You could try petes new gpu pluggins version 1.55 which have some type of 2d sprite smoothing now..

And here is a shot of MvC running on my system.. Full speed, no slowdown.. Well, the psx slows down when playing this game on a real psx anyways.. The psx uses it's 3d gpu to display 2d stuff.. Unlike the Saturn which had a 2d processor as well as a 3d gpu.. Ever wonder why the psx slows down so much with 2d games?

BTW.. I enabled 4xFSAA with petes d3d pluggins playing this game which cleans up the 2d video very well..

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats strange.....

hya guys, just came back from college.
mmm.....has anyone noticed something strange on the graphics of street fighter alpha3? when i play it, one of the sides of the screen is cut off, not that im complaning since that dont happen in cvgs win, but it seems to happen to evey other emulator.
ill send some pics in if someone shows me how to put a pic in a forum, and tell me in a basic way so i understand please.
i am still new to computers after all..............

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Re: thats strange.....

hya guys, just came back from college.
mmm.....has anyone noticed something strange on the graphics of street fighter alpha3? when i play it, one of the sides of the screen is cut off, not that im complaning since that dont happen in cvgs win, but it seems to happen to evey other emulator.
ill send some pics in if someone shows me how to put a pic in a forum, and tell me in a basic way so i understand please.
i am still new to computers after all..............
It's a known problem... no fix for that... don't worry about it ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts