Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my video card to a GeForce 3, but I would prefer to do it next month becuase I'm rather busy right now.

Until then, I have a 8 meg TNT in my system, and I just wanted to know if a 16 meg banshee is better than my existing video card (TNT). This is just temporary, but I just want more speed. I'm asking this because I can pull out the banshee from my sister's comp and put it in mine.

Do you think an extra 8 meg of video ram will make my system faster, or should I stay with the 8 meg TNT.

PS - I know the TNT is better than the banshee, but will the banshee out perform the TNT becuase of an extra 8 meg of ram?:confused:

:D Thanks:D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
well, it depends of ur main cpu...
The banshee doesn t need to have a powerful cpu to be *correctly* used.
The tnt needs to have, say, a p2 350 mhz (at least? I dunno)
but since U want to upgrade to a geforce 3, I think that ur cpu is powerful enough to handle the tnt.

Well, if u can put some vram on the tnt (try to put the same type of ram of course, as speedy as the other situated on the card.)
I recommend u the tnt.
But u can always benchmark the two cards on ur computer if i m mistaken.
Well, voodoo s great too.
I m remembering to have played on an amdk6-2 350 mhz w/ 64 mb of ram and a voddo banshee at 1024x768 on soul reaver and it had no slowdowns....

So....Make up ur mind.

Bye

S

·
0 Posts
I would reccommend the Voodoo Banshee. I used have one of those, a long time back, until I got my Voodoo 3 3000(of course I now have a GEForce 2 GTS). I had no problems what so ever with it and the speed and 3d GFX were actually very good. So, again, I would reccommend using the Voodoo Banshee until you get your GEForce 3.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
310 Posts
think first before you upgrade, if your processor is less than 800mhz then your just spending too much for a posh videocard that your processor can handle, you see even if you have a nice a geforce3 but you have a week processor you will not be able to fully harness the card's power and if you are just going to use it for PS emus try to stick with the banshee a little longer at least until gf3's get lower or you can get enough money for a 1.2Ghz machine and gf3.

IMHO -aoshi

·
Registered
75 Posts
Try the Banshee. At work I have an AMD K6 500 MHZ processor and a Voodoo Banshee ( I brought it from home to replace the crappy videoboard that came with system purchased by the company ). I'm running the EPSXE emulator at work , during lunch-time of course :) , and it works fine.
Sure that doesn't beat my home system: Duron 800MHz, Voodoo5 at 4X FSAA, and a 19 Inch monitor.

I hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts