Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted a new widescreen monitor for gaming and I noticed the Samsung T220 but there is also a Samsung T220HD for the same price. Is the HD one overall better?

T220
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG T220 Rose-Black 22" 2ms GTG Touch of Color series Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 20,000:1 - LCD Monitors

T220HD
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG ToC T220HD Rose Black 22" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Speakers - LCD Monitors

or is it worth it to save for a T40HD?

·
band
4,912 Posts
I'd say get the T220HD for the built in tuner. Otherwise the two seem identical to me.

EDIT: seems like the T220HD also has speakers built in that are 'dolby surround'. at the same price doesn't look like you can lose.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'd say get the T220HD for the built in tuner. Otherwise the two seem identical to me.

EDIT: seems like the T220HD also has speakers built in that are 'dolby surround'. at the same price doesn't look like you can lose.
Don't buy a monitor with speakers if you have seperate ones, the quality compared to the ones you already have is not better, but I am a audiophile so I love my sound quality.

·
band
4,912 Posts
The monitors are the same price before rebates are applied (and mail in rebates in my experience are a joke). For $30, you get the TV tuner and the speakers (which you can use for spare or for when you're using built in TV capability). The speakers are there but you don't have to use them.

Thats just my take on it though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The monitors are the same price before rebates are applied (and mail in rebates in my experience are a joke). For $30, you get the TV tuner and the speakers (which you can use for spare or for when you're using built in TV capability). The speakers are there but you don't have to use them.

Thats just my take on it though.
Yeah, but the monitor has 20k contrast ratio, so the lighting for the monitor will be better.

He is going for picture quality if I read from his intentions.

·
band
4,912 Posts
Yeah, but the monitor has 20k contrast ratio, so the lighting for the monitor will be better.

He is going for picture quality if I read from his intentions.
the first one got better response time and contrast

therefore it is better for gaming , the T220HD is more of a multimedia pc monitor not a gaming monitor
The specs listed are not apples to apples. Otherwise they should be the same.

In the first one (T220), you'll see it says 10k contrast ratio, but I believe thats the real one. The second one lists the 'DC', ratio, which is 'dynamic contrast'. In terms of contrast ratio, if you look at the website, they are the same in the 'DC' department.

In terms of response time, the T220 lists 'GTG', which is grey-to-grey. They specify this because GTG is often taken as a more lenient method of response time measurement. The T220HD is listed as just the response time of 5MS. In actuality, those are probably the same (5MS ~= 2MS GTG). For more information on GTG response time measurement, feel free to use Google.

My gut feeling tells me that the two panels are the same, and the T220HD is the better value.

Why is Newegg listing it in such a way that the T220HD looks worse? Probably because they're pushing the T220 for now to get rid of that model and will follow through with a push on getting rid of the T220HD afterwards. I don't know, I don't take marketing.

The lesson of the day is to watch out for specific terms, not look over listed specifications, and read between the lines.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Neither. SAMSUNG IS NO LONGER A GUARANTEED AWESOME BRAND.
Many people still default to "Samsung!!111" when asked what monitor to buy, and it's true that the opinion is based on a good reputation. But lately Samsung's rep is tarnished by the proliferation of shoddy panels. If you buy a Samsung, you risk getting one of the panels manufactured in their Chinese fab plant which has an incurable blue dominance. This is called a CMO panel, and there's no way to tell if you're getting stuck with one when you're buying it. You have to open it to find out. I got stuck with one of these and it was terrible. Lucky I bought it from a very understanding and accommodating retailer and I was able to return it.

Get an LG. Guaranteed quality. The only drawback of LG is that they have a higher instance of dead pixels on new monitors. Just buy from a retailer that will let you return it and you're golden. I have never been disappointed in an LG panel. Gorgeous screens.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whats even funnier is I am also debating over a SAMSUNG Glyde or LG Dare or LG Versa for my new phone as well. I havent checked prices for LG monitors tho and nobody has said if the extra money for the T240 is worth it so ill see.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
The specs listed are not apples to apples. Otherwise they should be the same.

In the first one (T220), you'll see it says 10k contrast ratio, but I believe thats the real one. The second one lists the 'DC', ratio, which is 'dynamic contrast'. In terms of contrast ratio, if you look at the website, they are the same in the 'DC' department.
True Contrast ratio on TN monitors is never as high as 10k though. Since even on PVA and IPS paneled monitors/tvs which have higher contrast ratios you'd be looking at something in the 2-5k region for true contrast ratio.

The 2008 model of the fairly high end Sony Z series Bravia had a true contrast ratio of 3000 iirc. I doubt even the XBR's could reach 10k true contrast ratio. The new LED tech will probably be able to reach 10k and beyond though.

In terms of response time, the T220 lists 'GTG', which is grey-to-grey. They specify this because GTG is often taken as a more lenient method of response time measurement. The T220HD is listed as just the response time of 5MS. In actuality, those are probably the same (5MS ~= 2MS GTG). For more information on GTG response time measurement, feel free to use Google.

My gut feeling tells me that the two panels are the same, and the T220HD is the better value.

Why is Newegg listing it in such a way that the T220HD looks worse? Probably because they're pushing the T220 for now to get rid of that model and will follow through with a push on getting rid of the T220HD afterwards. I don't know, I don't take marketing.

The lesson of the day is to watch out for specific terms, not look over listed specifications, and read between the lines.
Great advice D.D!

Just wanna mention a not too important thing the tt220 has going for it aesthetics wise. The T220 has a 'touch of color' (marketing lingo i know) bezel basically its a pretty outside bezel that is slightly translucent letting light pass through it and turns a little red/orange depending on the brightness of the light passing through it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.