Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just today my laptop didn't want to boot into Windows XP operating system so I made about 6 things that I usually would do when XP wouldn't want to boot,but today NONE of those methods didn't work and I was so bad mood knowing that I will lose ALL my data that I ever had.At the end I ran out of the ideas.So the only thing that left for me to try was the XP repair from my CD-ROM disk and that worked,(I was SOOO HAPPY),but then I was only able to boot into safe mode so I was SO LUCKY because I was able to save ALL my data on my external USB HDD,(including that UAC source code,Planet Earth movie and so on...).
All this time I had Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with service pack 2 on the FAT32 file system HDD installed on my laptop.So after all these months or even years:D,I decided to switch to the NTFS file system.I remember when I formatted my HDD in the FAT32 file system,the capacity of my 160 GB HDD in Windows XP was about 120 GB instead of whole 160 GB.Is that because I was using FAT32 file system instead of the NTFS file system?
I read that the NTFS file system supports up to 2 TB of HDD capacity...:dead:
So that's the reason why I decided to use the NTFS instead of the FAT32.
Also the second reason is that the maximum file size on the FAT32 file system is only 4 GB,which isn't little,but sometimes when creating big files,they can grow to be much bigger then just 4 GB in size.So this is also the reason why I finally decided to use the NTFS file system and not the FAT32 file system.

So I finally decided to format my entire HDD in my laptop and make a clean install of Windows operating system.Now I only have one question.Which operating system should I install on my 160 GB HDD using the NTFS file system:

-Microsoft Windows XP Professional with service pack 3???
-Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate with service pack 2???(Probably not a
good idea)...
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate???

NOTE that I am using some old programs such as virtual dub version 1.6.14,Nero version 6,C# 2002 so I wouldn't like them to stop working on the new operating system.

My laptop isn't really strong.In fact,it's probably one of the weakest.These are his specifications:

-512 MB of RAM DDR1
-ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64 MB
-1.6 ghz
-2 MB of L2 cache
-HDD size is 160 GB
-The laptop is the Acer TravelMate 4000 series

Right now already for more then 3 hours I am moving ALL my data from my laptop on my external USB HDD and it will probably need at least 5 hours more to complete.The data that I am moving is about 100 GB in size...:dead::dead::dead:
Anyway after that completes,I am going to format my ENTIRE HDD with the MS-DOS program called Kill Disk version 4.1 and then install the Microsoft operating system on it.
So which one do you recommend me to use on this weak laptop:D?
XP,Vista or Windows 7?
I just installed Microsoft Windows XP Professional with the service pack 3 on my TEST computer and it works PERFECT!Much better then with the service pack 2.

I would like to put the Microsoft Windows XP Professional with the service pack 3 using the NTFS file system on my 160 GB HDD on my laptop.Is that a good idea?I mean that works perfect on my TEST computer.Actually it works THE BEST of everything I ever tryed.

So what do you guys think???

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm curious, why were you using FAT32 all these years?
Also, how many partitions do you have? It seems to me that every time your OS fails to boot you are talking about lost data.
Well I was using FAT32 for a long time because I was using MS-DOS very offen for deleting and recovering my files which I wasn't able to change directly from Windows,Windows safe mode or Windows safe mode with command prompt.MS-DOS really came in handy and it saved me many many many times.
As for my partitions,I ALWAYS had only one partition (C:) that used the entire hard disk drive.I know what you are thinking.Why not have at least two partitions and on one have an operating system installed and on the other one have all the data right?Well simply because I noticed that my laptop lags in some games when I have two partitions.If on the C: partition I have Windows operating system installed and on the partition D: I have ALL my files,including games,I noticed that some of my games lag.For example Half-Life 2.Half-Life 2 was lagging as hell lol.Whenever I would just shoot the bullet from the weapon,wacked with the crowbar on the wall or if there would be some explosion...etc........,the game would lag so hard that it would need about 5-8 seconds to unblock so I can continue playing.The same thing is happening in the Doom 3,Half-Life episode one and two,Silent Hill 4.............etc.............................

NOTE that I have formatted my entire HDD and created two partitions couple of times just to be sure that there aren't any viruses or registry issues on the C: and D: partition.No matter how many times I have formatted my entire HDD and then created clean new empty C: and D: partitions,the problem with games would be the same.I replaced my HDD with the new one,but the problem was the same.

So one day I decided to have ONLY C: partition that uses the entire HDD.I tryed those games that were always lagging and on my biggest surprise,games were working perfect with almost no lagging at all.Also some programs were executing faster such as virtual dub,Visual Studio,disk checker and so on...
Since that day I decided to use only ONE partition.:rolleyes:

As for the DATA lost,let's just say that I don't have luck with my computers.The funniest thing is when I am doing the "same things" on ANY other computer,everything is working with no problems.Bah lol!:dead:
And to make this even more funny,I DID NOT change ANY settings in my laptop,I DID NOT install ANYTHING in my laptop and I DID NOT EVEN connect my laptop to the internet at all.It just happened....like it always happens ONLY to me...:mad:I guess I just have VERY BAD luck with my laptop.And I NEVER had these problems with my TEST computer which is much older then my laptop.......weird but true...:???:

Lol by the way my DATA from my laptop's HDD is still transfering on my external USB HDD.It's just 50% after 7 hours of waiting ROFL!
But hey,it didn't block.It's still transfering and that's a good sign.:D
I guess I will have to leave it over night.Hell I am not crazy to terminate that process and lose my Planet Earth movie and ALL my programs,musics,movies,C# source codes,C# video tutorials that I have,all my pictures and ALL my passwords and usernames that I have written through all this years.

But watch this lol...JUST TODAY I finally wanted to clone my HDD and JUST TODAY Windows XP stopped working.Suddenly MANY XP files were missing from my HDD and I didn't do ANYTHING...:(I was like:"WTF MAN!":dead:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That lag ur having is because of low ram 512 and HF 2 and most likely those are DDR ram
To fix that you must crate a pagefile on the other partition that way you can have 2 partition without any lag
I tryed that few times about a year ago,but the difference was very little.Thanks for the help anyway.:)

I guess I will install Microsoft Windows XP Professional with the service pack 3.By the way...does XP works faster with the SP3 or it works faster with the SP2?I never really tryed any games or programs under the SP3...

Considering you like things "the hard way" i recomend you to use windows 3.1.
Blablablabla...

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
seriously... use NTFS

FAT32 is much more prone to corruption.

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
-512 MB of RAM DDR1
-ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64 MB
-1.6 ghz

And you want to use Vista Ultimate?. Sometimes i find you a funny guy.
Tsk... in Japan, they do that all the time. Heck, scratch that ATi Mobility Radeon 9700. GMA 950!

If you know how to use your PC and don't bloat it up, it'll run blazingly fast on any configuration. ;) Vista and Win 7 just deal with bloat the hard way.

Anyway, I'd recommend Win XP if you seriously can't stand customizing and tweaking the living **** out of Vista or 7. And if you customize and tweak XP until there is nothing left, you'll see that it's faster than Vista or 7 anyway...

·
Insane Linux Advocate
289 Posts
Right now: Vista. XP is too damn old and at the end of its lifespan (its mainstream support has ended). And 7, given the same system, is actually more buggy and SLOWER (yes, that's right, slower -- games run noticeably slower in 7 on every machine I've seen with 7 and Vista installed!) than Vista. I think people just have gunked-up installs of Vista that they're comparing to their fresh RC installs of 7 or are going on their preconceived notion that Vista is crap and 7 is Microsoft's savior. I do think 7 will get better though; maybe SP1 will fix it like SP1 *dramatically* improved Vista.

So yeah, Vista.

Or Linux :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm still using XP right now, I plan on eventually multi-booting once I install my new harddrive, XP on my main drive, and I was looking at Windows 7, Ubuntu, maby more in the future. But for a machine with those specs, stick with XP

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Right now: Vista. XP is too damn old and at the end of its lifespan (its mainstream support has ended). And 7, given the same system, is actually more buggy and SLOWER (yes, that's right, slower -- games run noticeably slower in 7 on every machine I've seen with 7 and Vista installed!) than Vista. I think people just have gunked-up installs of Vista that they're comparing to their fresh RC installs of 7 or are going on their preconceived notion that Vista is crap and 7 is Microsoft's savior. I do think 7 will get better though; maybe SP1 will fix it like SP1 *dramatically* improved Vista.

So yeah, Vista.

Or Linux :)

you're ****ing stoned dude. Windows 7 eats Vista for breakfast in everything. Games included.

that or you just suck ass at properly configuring a computer.

·
ヒット激しく速く
26,508 Posts
Tsk... in Japan, they do that all the time. Heck, scratch that ATi Mobility Radeon 9700. GMA 950!

If you know how to use your PC and don't bloat it up, it'll run blazingly fast on any configuration. ;) Vista and Win 7 just deal with bloat the hard way.

Anyway, I'd recommend Win XP if you seriously can't stand customizing and tweaking the living **** out of Vista or 7. And if you customize and tweak XP until there is nothing left, you'll see that it's faster than Vista or 7 anyway...
Actually properly tweaking the living day light out of XP/Vista/7 while on a decent build will tilt the advantage towards vista/7 because of there faster browsing capabilities and for opening programs like photoshop a lot faster, in games XP would still be better but not groundbreaking 1-5 fps, also depending on the game.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
you're ****ing stoned dude. Windows 7 eats Vista for breakfast in everything. Games included.

that or you just suck ass at properly configuring a computer.
Indeed it does. Just got around to installing the RC for my first Win7 test run, and I have to say it's a much more complete product than Vista will EVER be, aside from the taskbar being horrid. Oh, and quit using "being stoned" as a reason for incorrect judgement (yes, I'm aware it was a joke). I'm stoned a lot of the time, and my judgment remains spot on, subjectivities aside. ;)

Also, WHY THE **** does STARS need another ****ing "Which windows for my ****ty computer?" thread?!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.