Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would be extremely grateful if someone could point me in the right direction here. Basically I am new to programming languages, although I have worked with html for quite a while. I am looking to create a website that undoubtedly requires some form of coding, but I am not sure which language would be the most appropriate for this task. This is what I basically would like to do:

I wish to create a website that allows people to upload images and put them on my website in the image category that they think they should go. I would also like people to have the ability to search for a particular type of image and to add comments to an online forum kind of thing next to each image. I would also like the website to manage its self in respect to the way that it displays the images on website pages, for example, newest images first, largest images first etc.

Please could someone tell me which programming language would be most suited to this task as I do not have a clue?!

Many thanks in advance

Sharky

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
That's gonna be a big task. If you don't want to go for a pre-made system, you'll be needing ASP/PHP and perhaps Javascript (client side technologies) and a database system in the back end to manage the data.

On the pre-made side, Coppermine is exactly what you need. However, integrating it into your site in a seamless fashion is something I'm not knowledgable in. If it's OK to have Coppermine's look and feel, then you can go for it.

There are Content Management Systems that allow you to blend your site (if created/maintained using the CMS) with Coppermine. Mambo and Drupal (if you grab the necessary, and free, 3rd party extensions/modules). If you do decide to just get a CMS, you can take a look at http://opensourcecms.com/
They even have online demos of the systems in question, though not Coppermine integrations. The learning curve is another matter though.

On Mambo, you can use the Coppermine integration extensions or you can also do away with Coppermine if you grab the AkoGallery extension. It's pretty dated (and no longer supported I think) but can do what you want. But to go about tinkering with it in case of bugs and stuff, you'll really need to know PHP. Not sure how to do this with Drupal though. You can research on your own if you don't want the aforementioned CMSes.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Well... if what you want is a way to standarize and manage styles and displays for a whole website, you might want to start off with css (cascading style sheets). In short, css is a style definer that permits you separate the graphic definition of the site, from the logical definition. (achieving greater modularity, easier administration etc.)

And to complement your question, the other part you are searching for are dynamic page generator languages. The 3 most commonly used are PHP, Microsoft's ASP and SUN's JSP (with PHP being the most widely supported). If you are already skilled at plain HTML I recommend you to look stright into some PHP tutorials so that you can start getting the handle of it.

However, this is just the start to it, as you will also require some database management skills.... fortunately most decent scripting tutorials will give you a basic idea of what you need to know about DB.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
To continue on what was said about Databases: If you don't plan on something massive (which you don't seem), then I suppose PHP (Script) + MySQL (DB) are adequate and easiest to roll into.

If you're not serious enough about creating it yourself, then look into Kraelis' suggestions. *shivers*

Ehr..
TheEmuMaster said:
PHP's syntax is a little odd.
Lies!

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
I'd suggest CGI with Javascript. CGI for all the server-side stuff, javascript for all the neat client-side eye-candy. If you really want to make it fast, you'll want to create your CGI in C/C++. I know of no server software that supports PHP but not CGI, but I do know of many that support CGI and not PHP.

PHP - easier to learn, quick to create a product, however, it's a run-time interpreted language. By its very nature, it will get slow on complex tasks

ASP - very platform specific. Won't run on UNIX servers. No problem with any kind of client, though, so don't get confused by the difference. I'm not sure if it's pre-compiled or interpreted, though, so I can't say much on performance.

CGI via perl - See PHP above

CGI via C++ - Could be slower to develop, but has unbeatable performance because it's pre-compiled. You can also do cute tricks like pre-forking a bunch of instances of a larger, more complex program, and having your CGI communicate with those (startup time goes from hundreds of milliseconds to tens of milliseconds). Similar to how Apache runs.

Note that javascript will run with any of the choices. Again, javascript is a client-side script. You can make your client's browsers do stuff. Server-side scripts make the servers do stuff.

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,225 Posts
I personally recommend a PHP/MySQL combination mainly because the ease of use and the amount of information and support provided on the net. There are all kinds of tutorials on how to create galleries and other functions that would be useful to a gallery system. Both PHP and MySQL are very common features for a large majority of low cost hosting packages so its not hard to find someone who supports both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm going to go completely off tangent.

Considering this guy listed 'HTML' as his programming experience, I don't think he is really up for jumping into learning PHP/MySQL.

I could be wrong, but my spidey sense was tingling.

My suggestion is to just set up an FTP server. A lot easier. Google it and you should have it set up with a little reading, patience, and an internet connection that's on all (or most) of the time.

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,225 Posts
Learning PHP is not that hard and if you can grasp HTML then taking the next step shouldn't be that big of a leap. Now if he said he had no experience then yeah I would recommend something premade. From reading his post he wants to know what coding language we would suggest if he were to create it himself. Also from the sounds of it he is looking for a way for people to upload images to the site .. using FTP just opens a bag full of security risks and if he doesn't have the access to grant certain rights per user or group (which most hosts don't offer that type of setup) then he is out of luck. Easier is not always better and I can't see how that would help him achieve what he wants.

From reading his post he is looking for something frontend that has the capabilities of having categories as well as being searchable and to show the image. He is also looking for something backend that will allow him and I assume others the ability to upload to the site within categories.

There is some nice free gallery systems out there which can easily be found using google .. but if the person is out for a learning experience then I would suggest making your own.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm going to second Keith and vote for PHP + MySQL. It's speed has almost never become an issue, and when it did there was usually a simple remedy that sped things up. My vote for MySQL I cast because it is the easiest database system to pick up and use, widely supported, and fast enough for almost any website. Another nice system for databases, if your host supports it, is SQLite, which is also very easy to use, even easier to configure, and also very easy to backup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.