Next Generation Emulation banner

Which Halo was the best

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this forum is the last place to be a Halo fan, but oh well, I felt like asking anyway. Please don't fill this thread with anti-Halo posts.

Halo1 surpasses the other two on so many levels. None of the sequels are any comparison to the first one except for a few minor things. When I played Halo1, I felt completely sucked into the game as everything was just right (graphics, soundtrack and gameplay) making me feel as if Master Chief and I were one person. No first person shooter has ever done that before, and not many games in general were able to do that either exept Final Fantisy 4-7, Azurik: Rize of Perathia and Jet Set Radio Future. I'll explain each aspect seperatly.

Storyline - Halo1 was most in depth, more interesting, mysterious, suprising and it had a slight "emotional" touch to it. Halo 2 and 3 had more of a "yeah, whatever" feel to it.

Graphics - I found Halo1 more visually impressive. The detailed normal mapping made gave everything a more realistic feel to the game as a whole (especially on the ice). When I got Halo2 and found out they completely replaced detailed normal mapping with Dot3 Bumpmapping, I was mad! Now all the metal surfaces looked so dull! Using Dot3 on the marines and the brutes looked good, but not on other things like the hunters. The right graphics with the right sound effects gives a more realistic feel no matter how good the graphics are. I hated the new plasma grenade explosion effect, it wasn't very convincing at all.

Gameplay - The controls haven't really changes (except in Halo 3 a little), but I hated the HUD since Halo 2. It was so annoying not knowing how close you were to dying. Sure the weapon selection was better in Halo 2 and 3, but what happened to the Assault Rifle in Halo 2 when I needed it? And why no sniper zoom on the pistol? It was bad enough I couldn't detonate multiple grenades on the ground anymore. That feature saved my butt in Halo1 a million times! At least dual weilding was a nice touch. Oh yeah, why does the needler suck now? It used to be kick ass...

Audio - I just personally like Halo1's sound effects better, the sequel's sfx weren't bad though. I didn't care for some of Halo2's voice acting with the grunts and the ellites. The grunts on Halo1 were so much funnier and would randomly say something and make sometimes you'd hear them make some really funny quote only once. The ellite's voice acting was just better in Halo1 altogether, from "Wort wort wort!" to the epic death sound effects (when they yell really loud!).

Soundtrack - Halo1 again was better at this. Halo2 and 3 only had one sone that really suited the game, while the first sound track was perfect in every way. Bungie gave you the right song at the right time, every time! The new sound tracks didn't feel vety "Haloish" and didn't really accomplish much with me.

Physics - I hated that Zero-G/Slo-Mo look that the Havok physics engine brought. When ever I killed something, it looks as if it were slowing down and falling to the ground with less gravity. The physics were better than Halo1's, but the deaths looked so annoying and fake. Halo1's deaths looked more realistic.

Multiplayer - Let's face it, Halo 2 and 3s was better!

I enjoyed each Halo experience to the fullest, but Halo1 was the winner for me. I know I'm very old fashioned and a fanatic for olld graphics, but I think Bungie missed a few things after they went "gold", or was it Microsoft's fault... again...

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
I think that Halo: Combat Evolved was the standout of the 3. Sure Halo 3 has unbeatable multi-player of the three, the most up to date visuals, but when first plugging in that xbox and powering it up for the first time with Halo in the drive it just blew me away. Co-op was just kickass, the missions were pretty neat, with nice set pieces (the way the terrain was varied in height and distance was superb) and I'll never forget storming the beach from the Pelican aircraft for the first time, to tear up the covenant, only to get the warthog and blast donuts in the ocean water just for kicks. The chance to just muck around was the greatest in the first game and it made linear design feel so different thanks to some of the massive levels.

Definitely Halo: Combat evolved for me.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
I've only played the pc versions of part 1 and 2 so far, and in that case I have to say I liked Halo 2 better than the first on pretty much every aspect.

The story was richer with a lot more happening than in the first game, the levels were more detailed and different from each other, similar gameplay but with some subtle improvements.
The graphics were a lot better too, but admittedly it has a bit of a bumpmapping overkill.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Halo before it was taken in by Microsoft looked awesome for its time.

Maybe i should post some old magazine articles about it all? Show the more expansive terrain the multiplayer maps were supposed to have for the orginal pc version, but got reduced in size because of the limited memory capacity of the xbox.

Maybe part of it is im also a bit jaded that ms snatched up the game for their console... regardless of the fact that i own an xbox and Halo eventually came out for pc but by that time had fallen behind the innovation curve abd score unanimously low-mid scores wuith reviewer because it .

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where's the option for "Halo was a slow-paced, mediocre fps that achieved nothing but to introduce an already popular genre of game to the console crowd, and I hate all 3 equally"?
In case you didn't read

Please don't fill this thread with anti-Halo posts.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
I posted 2, but that's what I consider the general consensus to be, both 1 and 2 were ok... I think 2 was better multiplayer and 1 was just a good game. It's like trying to rate the first two Superman movies, both were good.

I even purchased a used copy of Halo for my girlfriend, I told her an XBOX was incomplete without it...

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I liked Halo 1 the most. I actually enjoyed the multiplayer more than any other Halo game.

4 Xboxs, 4 TVs, 16 people. = Fun nights.

Maybe i should post some old magazine articles about it all? Show the more expansive terrain the multiplayer maps were supposed to have for the orginal pc version, but got reduced in size because of the limited memory capacity of the xbox.
I don't really think memory capacity would have made a difference in this case... When Halo was first talked about ('98, or 99?) most PCs only had 64-128MB of ram anyway. And the Xbox has 64MB. Not to mention the Xbox doesn't have to share ram with the OS and whatnot.

If you're talking about disc capacity... well, I don't think many games of the time used more then 8.5GB no matter how big they were. (Well actually the Xbox can only use 7GB or so of the disc because of security sectors).

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Yes i know this isnt strictly halo, but many people call halo the spiritual successer to the marathon series, so i would say that. But if i have to choose one halo games i would have to choose 2, i hated the copy and paste libary in one and i dont have xbox live, so two it is, but... not to put a downer on things but i thought halo was average at best ( i know this is an anti halo coment, im sorry for that but its just my oppinion.)

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
I personally think the first game was COMPLETELY ruined by the pistol. It always seemed extremely overpowered to me. The second game all the weapons seemed underpowered... but i think they did a good job balancing them in the third one. (I play for multiplayer normally but i like the 3rds campaign the best too)

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Well, there is that 4th voting option which kind of allows for Halo hate...

I love how PsyMan voted for all the options though.

As for me, I've only played the first a bit. So... it's the best and the worst of the series, I guess.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
I didn't fill the thread.
Conversely, you made a thread asking the forum's opinion on all the Halo titles, but you didn't allow for negative opinions.
Maybe you missed out on the Halo bashing occurring here on a regular basis, so it's not so strange to ask to leave it for once.
Also, your statement reminds me of people saying "bleem/vgs sucks, use ePSXe" when someone specifically asked how to get something working in bleem or vgs. It does not add anything to what was asked.

Anyway, now that I have a 360, I guess I'll be playing Halo 3 at some point. For now I've voted Halo 2.

The thing I seriously don't know (yet) is how much better or worse console Halo 1/2 would be compared to pc Halo 1/2. I don't mean that they were released later, and I've played both on a more than adequate pc (meaning, no system requirements getting in the way of the experience), but rather, if anything was lost in the ports otherwise (I know about Halo 1 co-op missing)....

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
i preferred the first half life myself, due to the lack of an annoying love interest, but anyway. this is getting a bit of topic now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.