Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some suggestions on which firewall to change to.

I have been using Zone Alarm free edition for over a year with no problems, then when I started playing WoW I was getting many lag/disconnect problems, getting no support from the tech department I thought it might be my firwalll and switched to Kiero free edition, WoW now works fine. The problem is that Kiero is rubbish, I've been getting messages from my anti-virus (Avast!)saying that it has blocked access atempts that I never used to get b with Zone Alarm so it must be down to Kiero. I also cannot access the onfiguration menu in Kiero, it crashes every time I try.

So, I can't use Zone Alarm and I don't want Kiero, the new one I use must be free (not just trial version) anyone got any suggestions?

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
I've been using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF) for two years now and I haven't had any problems with it, yet. IIRC it is said to be one of the best free Firewalls you can get.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Except Sygate Free firewall hasnt been updated for looong time. Its way outdated and already has some holes. Though i use it too, since ZoneAlarm started giving me trouble.

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Well, there might be a small problem. Since Sygate got "conquered" by Symantec, support for old Sygate products including the personal firewall has been cancelled completely. Sygate Personal Firewall is now called Norton Personal Firewall... Although the interface looks pretty much like designed for idiots, now. And it'll propably eat twice as much resources as the Sygate one...

·
Registered
5 Posts
F-3582 said:
Well, there might be a small problem. Since Sygate got "conquered" by Symantec, support for old Sygate products including the personal firewall has been cancelled completely. Sygate Personal Firewall is now called Norton Personal Firewall... Although the interface looks pretty much like designed for idiots, now. And it'll propably eat twice as much resources as the Sygate one...
This has to be the worse news for SPF users. Its been the best firewall for setting up advanced port rules and software filtering on a network and now Symantec will kill it with their bloated pieces of junk.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Try ipfilter, ipchains or iptables.

Also, ipfw is a good choice.

As far as performance goes, they're all unbeatable.

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far it seems OK except for one thing, I keep getting little pop-up messages from it saying that it has blocked or something, there is a little check bock that says "do not tell me again" however it doesn't seem to listen! This is very annoying as the popups minimise any full screen program that is running. Any idea how to fix this?

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Try to check the "do not shot this again" thingy, then click the popup box itself (somewhere in the text.) It stopped showing it for me.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
to be honest, if you want a software firewall, you may as wel just use the WinXP one, when they released SP2 is finally got good.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Lavasoft just came out with a Personal Firewall. I have Ad-aware Professional and I love it. Removes all that spyware and adware like its nothing...I havent given the firewall a try but i might. (it aint free tho...but u can get a trial) http://www.lavasoft.de

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
refraction said:
to be honest, if you want a software firewall, you may as wel just use the WinXP one, when they released SP2 is finally got good.
Agreed (well, partially anyways). Microsoft is really the only group capable of integrating a firewall at the kernel level, as well. All the other firewalls that were mentioned were not kernel-level firewalls, and while they may work, they're performance hogs. Only problem is that Microsoft, while finally putting a little effort into it, still hasn't made a very good and featureful firewall.

If you must have a firewall (you must) and you must have Windows directly connected to the internet and it must be high performance, then you:

1. Get a hardware firewall
-or-
2. Live with the functionality of the SP2 firewall

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
IMO the ONLY value in software firewalls is catching things such as trojans/viruses/worms etc from actually accessing the network. Port management, and protection from intruders and attacks should all be left to a hardware solution. Software is Software, there will always be someone who can reverse engineer it.

I use sygate for the simple purpose of catching anything that tries to access the lan/internet because I hate using anti-virus software and I will never install another anti-virus product on my own personal machine ever again.

·
Random personnality
53 Posts
Evil_Neko said:
I need some suggestions on which firewall to change to.

I have been using Zone Alarm free edition for over a year with no problems, then when I started playing WoW I was getting many lag/disconnect problems, getting no support from the tech department I thought it might be my firwalll and switched to Kiero free edition, WoW now works fine. The problem is that Kiero is rubbish, I've been getting messages from my anti-virus (Avast!)saying that it has blocked access atempts that I never used to get b with Zone Alarm so it must be down to Kiero. I also cannot access the onfiguration menu in Kiero, it crashes every time I try.

So, I can't use Zone Alarm and I don't want Kiero, the new one I use must be free (not just trial version) anyone got any suggestions?

Try Black Ice protector its good and easy to use. Its not an annoying firewall like zone alarm

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Reichfuher said:
IMO the ONLY value in software firewalls is catching things such as trojans/viruses/worms etc from actually accessing the network. Port management, and protection from intruders and attacks should all be left to a hardware solution. Software is Software, there will always be someone who can reverse engineer it.
What, exactly, is so magical about hardware that it cannot be reverse engineered in exactly the same way as a software firewall? I think you've got the wrong idea there...

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
KillerShots said:
What, exactly, is so magical about hardware that it cannot be reverse engineered in exactly the same way as a software firewall? I think you've got the wrong idea there...
Unless you take a hammer to that little box inside of my lan, you arent going to get through it unless the firewall itself is configured wrong.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
The same can be said of well-designed software firewalls. Just because a firewall is a hardware firewall, however, does not mean that it is well-designed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.