Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time building a computer and i'm stuck on a few things

I have an area called Panel1 on the motherboard where I'm supposed to connect all the indicator LEDs and switches, but I am not sure where they need to be connected (specifically, where should I connect the power switch?); i've attached a scan from the manual

also, i do not know how to orient these wires, since each pin has a certain function... how do i tell which pin corresponds to what wire? (i notice an arrow pointing to one of the end wires in a plug, does that signify pin 1?)

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Normally the coloured wire is + (or _p in this case)
I'd say the layout was:
It's quite obvious what the connectors are for. Power_SW is quite obviously the connector for your power switch.
Blue and white should be the power switch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks for the quick replies

what is the fp pwr/slp for pins 2 and 4?

*edit

and just to make sure:
the manual tells me for the power LED
pin 1 ground
pin 2 nc
pin 3 power

should the arrow be attached to pin 3?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm, the computer won't boot into anything....

i'm using an intel 845e motherboard that is supposed to support 1.4 ghz p4 - 2.0 ghz on a 400 mhz or 533 mhz fsb; my chips is a 1.5 ghz 400 mhz fsb

the cpu and power supply fan turn on, but i get no video output (no bios....), which is going through a tnt2 agp 4x (supported by the mobo)

where and how should i start troubleshooting?

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>what is the fp pwr/slp for pins 2 and 4?

My guess is that they are for a Power/sleep button, which most likely you don't have.

> the manual tells me for the power LED
pin 1 ground
pin 2 nc
pin 3 power

That means Pin 1 is connected to the black wire, and pin 3 to the green wire. Pin 2 is Not Connected. It's because we've had 3 pin connectors for ages. Can't remember the exact reason, it was probably to allow for tri colour FP LEDs.

>the cpu and power supply fan turn on, but i get no video output (no bios....), which is going through a tnt2 agp 4x (supported by the mobo)

Do you have the PC speaker connected (not the ones you connect to yuor sound card, the little speaker inside your case, and if so what noise is it making?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another Issue you may have is the video card. My voodo 3 did not work with my new motherboard, so I had to go and get a new video card. I think its because of the voltage. If the video card is not made for the new(er) motherboard it will not show anything if the pc is powered on. I know my ASUS motherboard has a led that indcates if the video card will or will not work with the motherboard. Green means the card is compatible and red means its not. Also if you look very closely at the connection point for the leds on the motherboard you should see a 1 next to the conection that is number 1.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Like Kane said, check and see if the speaker is hooked up. While you're still in there, re-seat your ram and all your cards just to make sure. Then turn it on. If it still won't post, listen for the beeps.

Most of the boards i've picked up have a built-in diagnostics read-out with the extra usb ports. If you have that, hook that up. It will make it easier.

·
Registered
92 Posts
TheOneAndOnlySM said:
hmm, the computer won't boot into anything....

i'm using an intel 845e motherboard that is supposed to support 1.4 ghz p4 - 2.0 ghz on a 400 mhz or 533 mhz fsb; my chips is a 1.5 ghz 400 mhz fsb

the cpu and power supply fan turn on, but i get no video output (no bios....), which is going through a tnt2 agp 4x (supported by the mobo)

where and how should i start troubleshooting?
Hi,

i think your TNT2 is not supported by 845 motherboard. The AGP slot in 845 chipset only support AGP 4/8X 1.5/0.8V card and your TNT2 is an AGP 2/4X 3.3V card.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm, you're probably right

will this have honestly damaged my mobo? i have attached the pc speaker but it outputs no sound, even after removing the tnt2 card

could the processor itself then be the problem?

the reason for building this computer is to replace a fried motherboard from an hp pavilion 7955, which had this mobo: http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4B-MX&langs=09# ; it seems that everything used on should be compatible with this board, even though it was based on i801

i'm not sure what i should do at this stage if i can't figure out what the problem is and there is no output from the pc speaker

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Unplug your IDE cables and then check.
Pull out your RAM and test.

·
Registered
92 Posts
TheOneAndOnlySM said:
hmm, you're probably right

will this have honestly damaged my mobo? i have attached the pc speaker but it outputs no sound, even after removing the tnt2 card

could the processor itself then be the problem?

the reason for building this computer is to replace a fried motherboard from an hp pavilion 7955, which had this mobo: http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4B-MX&langs=09# ; it seems that everything used on should be compatible with this board, even though it was based on i801

i'm not sure what i should do at this stage if i can't figure out what the problem is and there is no output from the pc speaker
I suspect you might have fried your new motherboard as using 3.3v AGP card
on not supported motherboard can cause damage. You might want to check
if your motherboard is damage and return it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lmao, wow, problem solved....

as i was taking the computer apart and getting ready to return the motherboard, i realized that the cpu wasn't sitting all the way in! thus the lack of pc speaker, LED's or any video output.... jeez, i can't believe i was so conceited as to having successfully seated the cpu that i could only blame my freaking video card or memory stick

thanks everyone, and apologies for not taking my own initiative earlier on; the computer is for the most part working (i threw in a data harddisk and am testing with knoppix linux live)

i do have a question though: no matter how i orient the power switch connector, the computer turns on successfully... is this supposed to happen?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts