Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well
I have a idea.
I think make HP which collect PSX movie in DivX fromat.
What do you think???
The problem is where I find hosting???
If you know good hosting tell me.

S

·
0 Posts
hard to find at the moment...besides that, it would be illegal to distribute those movies over the net.....

I know there are many game movies available on the net, also on big gamesites but those are made available by game publishers themselves, like the GT3 intro for example....

what you could do is making a site with fmv screenshots..takes up less space too, and I think it's perfectly legal...
in that case I'd try free hosting at www.virtualave.net

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Huh??Is it illegal???
I just extract PSX movie from my PSX CD
and make it to DivX format???
I not talking about other system movie or anything.
I just mean PSX movie only.

S

·
0 Posts
well, it's not illegal as long as you dont distribute them and keep them for yourself....but yes, placing converted psx movies on a site is illegal I think....then again, this whole legal/illegal line is very vague....but I don't think you're allowed to distribute converted fmv's over the net...

S

·
0 Posts
dunno...maybe they were allowed to do that? or sony and square don't mind about it?

really, I might be wrong, but providing converted psx fmv's for download doesn't seem legal to me....well, maybe it IS legal if you lower the quality...same as with music perhaps....it seems you're allowed to distribute music as long as the quality is significantly lower than the original and you only publish parts of the song, not the whole song....maybe it's the same with those fmv's.

.....and some other people here are better at laws than me and can probably tell you.

at least I can't imagine it's legal to provide full converted fmv's for download.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't you think something nearly you........
Emulator is it legel or illegal???
Is ePSXe legal???
Come on I just distribute movie.
I believe SONY will not care this because it just only movie.

S

·
0 Posts
epsxe itself is legal...using the psx bios with it isn't....that's why it's not provided here.

and you're right, sony might not care....that perhaps also depends on what and how many you distribute...

for example if you make a site with lots of high-quality fmv from ff9 I think you'd run the risk of being shut down....

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I never seen PSX movie only for sell..........
How it be illlegal to anyone???
BTW, For Example Emulator.
UltraHLE is dead because Nintendo.
VGS is dead cause Sony.
Anyway I not fear about to shut site down.
By the way again,I wish to know if I make PSX movie collection site.
Will you support me:)

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Enigma1982
I never seen PSX movie only for sell..........
How it be illlegal to anyone???
BTW, For Example Emulator.
UltraHLE is dead because Nintendo.
VGS is dead cause Sony.
Anyway I not fear about to shut site down.
By the way again,I wish to know if I make PSX movie collection site.
Will you support me:)
I know, I've never seen psx movies for sale, but then again, if you strip a game of music and movies that still doesn't make it legal to distribute it freely

There's truth in what you say about VGS, but Sony 'killed' it by buying it....as for UltraHLE, development just stopped, nintendo didnt kill it.

Of course a PSX movie site would be cool....but I still think it might give problems....I know, sprites are being ripped from games, screenshots are taken, but 'whole' movies....I think this falls in the large 'gray' area....half-illegal, so to speak.
then again, if it's legal, I'd have no problems supporting it.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Because movies consume so much bandwidth, it's very difficult to find a host that would allow them (either for that reason or the legality Samor mentioned). You could try one of the accursed file storage sites or hope to find some person with a private server who for some weird reason wants to put an extraordinarily high bandwidth site on it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
>Huh??Is it illegal???
I'm pretty certain that distributing PSX MDECs over the Internet would be a violation of the distribution rights you agree to when you open the game. Namely, they state that while you may view the videos, "public performance" (which I'd imagine would include streaming over the Internet) is expressly denied. In addition it's probably a violation of copyright laws also.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Well just for a laugh I tried messing around with this idea of yours. As space is your main problem using the divx algorthims makes sense, and encode the audio as mp3 also. I also choped the video down to half size and changed it to mono sound. The result was that the file size shrank dramatically from 25mb to 1mb. Sure the quality sucks but at least at this size you would have more success finding a host.

BTW in case you didn't know DIVX ;) codec is actually a microsofts media encoder 7 codec, hacked to allow avi's to use it. Thus it in itself is illegal.

·
Registered
513 Posts
>So boring about legal or illegal
Well, boring or not, we're just trying to help you out. After all, having to give up one's hosting and/or connection provider is never any fun.

>DIVX codec is actually a microsofts media encoder 7 codec,
>hacked to allow avi's to use it
Unless the DiVX ;-) codec has changed recently, I'm pretty sure it's actually Microsoft's MP4 video encoder with MP3 audio extensions. Of course, things like that only matter if you're a nitpick like me ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts