Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pink Poney
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 for, oh....2 or 3 years now. I don't think anything has happened yet to suggest that it is stating to fail, but I'd rather ensure that problem doesn't happen in the first place and risk burning something...if that's even what happens when the PSU goes bad.

How long should I wait before getting a new PSU?

·
Registered
285 Posts
get a new one when this one screws up.
Lol, funny but possibly disastrous. PSU's lose power (wattage) over time because of you're capacitors aging. Depending on how long you're computer stays on every day, how much you use it, and other factors, you may want to consider changing it sooner than later. 3 years is getting close to "old age" for a PSU if you use it 24hrs a day.:thumb:

p.s. The cake is a lie!

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
get a new one when this one screws up.
A power supply screwing up has the potential to take other computer parts with it. A power supply is the one component you really don't want to cheap-out on.

I'd say go ahead an replace it Pink. If you don't need to, you're out 70 bucks or so, for 3 years worth of power supply. If your power supply is old and about to die, though, then you may save your other components by playing it safe now.

·
Pink Poney
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, I think I like spyhop's idea of swapping out before you know what hits the fan. Ane you're right, PSUs aren't too expensive; I'd actually like getting a modular one anyway, the one I have now has way too many unused cables.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Depends on the components inside the PSU,

do some research of it and check out if it uses industrial rated (good for 25 years) capacitors.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Depends on the components inside the PSU,

do some research of it and check out if it uses industrial rated (good for 25 years) capacitors.
Do psu's use those, and how would you find out?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Apparently they key is "105ºC rated" capacitors. 4x the life span, good to know. Thnx 4 the info Squall.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
if the product specs mention japanese rated or japanese tech, its built to last.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.