Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv just started noticing this, iv been leaving my pc on for acouple days straight now. Iv started noticing that my Programs are lagging, and sometimes not respond and freeze. all i have to do is restart but sometimes i dont want to do that depending on what im downloading. i usualy leave irc running in the background all day too. is it a ram issue?

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Just get a software that cleans out your ram periodically....or get a download manager like flashget so you don't have to worry about your downloads and you can restart.

·
Registered
774 Posts
That software that cleans out your ram is crap. All it does is allocate and dealocate a buch of memory to get windows to stick eveything in the paging file. In a lot of cases this actually decreases performance. Which programs are freezing? Genearally this is the fault of the programs themselves, although in some cases it's caused by stuff you have installed that interfaces with them in some way.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Leaving your computer on should not be causing problems. For example, one of my computers has been online for 122 days and counting. Windows XP should not be itself having such issues... I don't know what other programs you may be running. Hardware-wise, I can't think of anything that would simply slow you down instead of giving a long stream of errors (except maybe CPU overheating and throttling back... my laptop did this once when I compiled the OS with 4 compile processes and the lid down). Since a simple reboot fixes the problem, it's unlikely to be an overheating issue.

When the programs are lagging or freezing, which programs are these? How long have they been running? Who made them? Or is it all across the board?

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
My main PC is very rarely shut down or restarted. Normally only when an upgrade occours.
I have no issues like this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you leaving a program running that might be the problem, it could have some sort of memory leak. Either use a memory cleaner like everyone else said or switch to a different program if possible. I sometimes get this if I leave a faulty program running for some time.

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
__Xzyx987X said:
That software that cleans out your ram is crap. All it does is allocate and dealocate a buch of memory to get windows to stick eveything in the paging file.
Not all programs do that... Cacheman and a few other programs can clear out Windows file cache, which can grow quite high sometimes.

·
KO'ed User
935 Posts
in my school, the leave the computers on all the time. After some months, someones has to restart them eventually...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts