Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really curious about how your parents look at your internet habits...

Mine, and especially my father, cannot understand how we can stay on the internet for longer than 30 minutes... He just doesn't see the purpose of msn: "why do you need to chat, and why can't they talk Dutch?"

Basicly, my father is too simple minded too understand today's society and the function the internet has in it.

I've got the feeling he sees the internet as a dictionary: You don't read a dictionary for fun, so what are you doing on the internet when you don't need to do something productional?

*sigh* sometimes I can get quite angry at my dad for not even trying to understand the year 2004 :???:

How do your parents look at it?

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
my parents used to think i spent too much time on the internet. but once i got my own computer in my room they dont say one word on my internet habits :)

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, well I'm looking forward to the day my father will drill a hole in the wall, so I can connect my own pc to the DSL router ;)

Then all I need is a fridge and a microwave on my room and I can survive :p

·
Registered
416 Posts
i don't live at home, my mom can say nothing when i use the internet ^^'''
but in the past she was really proud of me when i did something with the computer. she knew nothing and thought (and still think) i know everything about the computer (for my mom: internet=computer) ^^'''. and she is/was really afraid about "online-shopping" and meet persons, who do u got to know about a chat. <_<...

today when i phone with her i tell her about, that i can see and hear people over cams and microphones: i think she don't belive me. xD...

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
Popuri said:
but in the past she was really proud of me when i did something with the computer. she knew nothing and thought (and still think) i know everything about the computer (for my mom: internet=computer) ^^'''. and she is/was really afraid about "online-shopping" and meet persons, who do u got to know about a chat. <_<...
lol same here. my parents are so scared of online shopping and the "bad" people on the internet :???:

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, same here... same here.....

While I'm rather progressive with things like that, I prefer to try things :)
I'd rather take a risc and a couple of bucks :)

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
My parents don't mind seeing me on the internet as long as i pay the telephone bill

·
Registered
289 Posts
It must be some kind of image that generation got, because my parent are the same, whenever I say the computer should be on during night and when I'm at school, they ask why. I say because then my downloads will finish faster, but they still don't understand... -_-'

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
They think that Internet is made to send and recieve e-mails

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
my dad doesn't care for it and anything to do with computers,my sister loves the net like i do:),my mom likes the net aso but doesn't like me being on for very long periods of time downloading other wise all is fine since i haven't been online for very long periods of time in a while.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
My father is a computerfreak and always spends his money on stuff for his pc,he has been this way for very very very long...its like he gets home,goes on the pc,eats,goes on the pc...and only gets off during the evening cuz my mom has made a deal with him that he needs to be with her on the couch during the evening and not on his pc...he also got me in pc's for the most part...he's your average nerd with the weird face and the giant glasses...*sigh*...

Luckily I now have my own internet after 2-3 years of begging...and my dad doesnt complain about it cuz he's too busy with his own pc anyway :p

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,477 Posts
My parents doesn't really mind since I always end up doing something for them.Long as I keep it up with my daily chores I'm allowed to do whatever I am pleased.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Hehe..just a sec..we need to call back east to ask her.

*ring ring*
DW: Hi Ma!
Dark Mom: Hello
DW: Yo ma...what do you think of us be-in on the Internet?
Dark Mom: DW...you know damn well I don't understand none of that Internet crap.
DW: Um..spendin a lot of time on the computer
Dark Mom: Hey..thats your electric bill, but you know that (insert curse here) wont fly in my house!
DW: Thanks Ma..just checkin!
Dark Mom: Ok sweetheart....hey...when are you gonna give me a grandchild?!?
DW: erm....er....GOTTA GO! THE DOG IS ON FIRE!
*click*

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hah... the dog is on fire. Good one ;)

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
My mom hates computers, and don't understand anything about the internet.

My dad likes computers somewhat, and can even surf the net for a while. He mostly stays in extreme-right forums, cursing the "damned liberals" or blaming the "comunists" for how bad our country is. He's a very conservative man.

Both think that I've weird habits, and both think that I've joined some sort of cult, because I've received some material from the World Transhumanist Association by the mail.

Fortunately they can't understand a word of english, so they'll never know what kinds of books and online articles I read :p (see attached file for a small sample ;) )

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
my mom barely knows how to use it, she plays popcap games and watches tv shows when shes on the pc

my dad uses the pc as his own personal filesharing server for his friends which he's never met, though atleast he knows quite a bit about computers

my brothers finishing off a 4 year programming course so he's prolly the most tech-savvy person in my home...

and me, well, games and graphics just about sums it up ;)

DW: erm....er....GOTTA GO! THE DOG IS ON FIRE!
i wish that worked in face-to-face encounters :p

1 - 20 of 50 Posts